Updated November 9, 2019
Some older properties, especially outsized, rural ones, are marketed as possible commercial properties — b&b’s, vineyards, event venues and such — rather than or in addition to residential use.
- $3.45 million
- 10 bedrooms, 8 full bathrooms and two half-bathrooms, 9,285 square feet, 48.23 acres
- Price/square foot: $372
- Built in 1934
- Listed January 17, 2019
- Last sale: $1.3 million, December 2017
- Note: The house was designed by Delano & Aldrich of New York.
- The property is what remains of a 1,500-acre hunting retreat developed from 1911 to 1931 by William Rabb Craig, a New York cotton and sugar broker who died in 1931. Craig’s widow built the house on the site of a hunting lodge built in the 1910’s.
- The listing says a $5 million restoration of the house was completed in 2007.
- The property includes a guest cabin built in 1933, a barn built in the 1910’s and a pond.
- It is now a bed and breakfast and a wedding/event venue.
7075 Kivette House Road, Gibsonville, Guilford County
The Kivette House
- 7 bedrooms, 4 1/2 bathrooms, 6,336 square feet, 12.82 acres
- Price/square foot: $130
- Built in 1934
- Listed September 9, 2019
- Last sale: $365,000, December 2004
- Note: The property includes a two-story carriage house.
- The property was marketed previously as a residence or as a b&b/event venue (although there already is one in Gibsonville).
- For more about the Kivette family, click here.
- The house was listed recently for about a year, originally at $875,000.
- $650,000 with 27.6 acres
- $575,000 with 18.6 acres,
- $499,000 with 8.1 acres,
- or $445,000 with 3 acres,
- 7 bedrooms, 7 1/2 bathrooms, 7,450 square feet, up to 27.6 acres
- Price/square foot: $87 (27.6 acres)
- Built in 1941
- Listed July 7, 2017
- Last sale: $320,000, February 2003
- Listing: “Gently rolling Pasture would make for great Vineyard …”
- The property includes a guest house, outbuildings and a stream.
- The house has a commercial kitchen and a large dining area.
- Previously listed in 2015 for $799,000 (per Zillow).
- 6 bedrooms, 3 1/2 bathrooms, 5,135 square feet, 0.42 acres (see note)
- Price/square foot: $117
- Built in 1892
- Listed July 14, 2019
- Last sale: Listing says it was in 1910; no further information is available online.
- Listing: For sale by owner
- The house is on a lot of 0.42 acre. The listing references two additional lots that are included, apparently another 0.43 acre total.
- The house is across the street from the Montgomery County Courthouse.
- “A portion of the home was the original town post office and has remained in the same family since 1910.”
- “Remington chandeliers from Pennsylvania, mahogany over-mantles from plantations on the Mississippi River, fireplaces throughout. Hidden doorways and many nooks and crannies with quirky charm. … An impressive 2 story pine paneled entrance with original oak floors, stained glass window, and a massive staircase … Original 10′ & 12′ stamped metal ceilings. Elegant formal dining room has been known to seat 30+ family and guests. A fully stocked library with volumes of antique books. … 20×36 foot wine cellar in basement with stone fireplace and steel reinforced storm shelter.”
- “Perfect for a bed and breakfast, home-based business, shop, office, educational facility or just a residence for large family or someone who welcomes an abundance of visitors.
- “Entertainment/game/billiard room is 25 x 36 with pool table included An indoor pool remains structured under the large billiard room floor if so desired to convert back into function.”
- “A 64×32′ garage holds approx. 18 cars and is located on additional 2 lots (included) just perfect for a multitude of needs from collector cars to business product storage.”
- This appears to be the garage:
640 Cedar Grove Church Road, Mocksville, Davie County
Chestnut Trail Vineyards
contract pending as of September 10, 2019
- 3 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms 2,629 square feet, 10 acres
- Price/square foot: $171
- Built in 1940
- Listed April 11, 2019
- Last sale: $265,000, May 2006
- Listing: Possible uses include “Continue the legacy of Chestnut Trail Vineyards award winning wines, horse farm, possible bed and breakfast, special event center …”
- The house includes an attached in-law suite.
- Vinyl siding
- The property has a large barn with six stalls, one acre of established muscadine vines, and a 24-foot-by-36-foot covered pavilion with a full basement, rough plumbed for bathrooms.
- An additional 30 acres are available.
1011 Center Church Road, Eden, Rockingham County
The Johns Manor House (also known as the Johns-Osborne House)
- 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, 3,970 square feet, 2.55 acres
- Price/square foot: $101
- Built in 1840 (sometimes listed as 1850)
- Listed June 18, 2019
- Last sale: $20,000, December 2009
- Note: Designated as a historic landmark by the Eden Historic Preservation Commission
- Listing: “Built between 1840 and 1850 by Dr. Anthony Johns, one of the first physicians in Leaksville.”
- The property has been used as an event center “but can be a grand private residence.”
- City ordinance designating the house as a historic landmark: “The original house was a large brick, one-room-deep, two-story structure with a rear two-story ell. … The main house was enlarged in the late 19th or early 20th century with a two-story addition behind the original structure. In the mid-20th century, a one-story wing over a basement was added on the rear and east side of the main house. A wide two-story portico with square columns was also added sometime in the 20th century, giving the home a ‘Mount Vernon’ style appearance.”
- $325,000 (originally listed at $399,900)
- If the property is not under contract by Thursday November 14, it will be auctioned on Saturday December 7, 10 a.m.
- 4 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms, 3,179 square feet, 3.1 acres
- Price/square foot: $102
- Built in 1914
- Listing date unknown
- Last sale: $325,000, November 2005
- Listing: The property includes an owners cottage of 1,343 square feet with two bedrooms, two bathrooms, a living room, kitchenette and a loft over one of the bedrooms.
- The property also has a carport and five outbuildings, three of which are connected via a wooden deck. “These building are currently used for storage, but could easily be converted into artist studios, pottery workshops, guest rooms, gift shop or event space.” The others are a children’s play house and a tobacco barn.
- $319,900 (originally listed at $349,900)
- 5 bedrooms, 4 1/2 bathrooms, 3,594 square feet, 2.22 acres
- Price/square foot: $89
- Built in 1920
- Listed September 11, 2018
- Last sale: $130,000, May 2013
704 Summit Avenue, Greensboro
contract pending as of September 30, 2019
- 8 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms, 2,559 square feet
- Price/square foot: $66
- Built in 1923
- Listed August 13, 2019
- Last sale: $28,500, December 2005
- Neighborhood: Dunleath Historic District
- Note: No central air conditioning
- Photos with the listing indicate the interior is in better condition than the exterior.
- Online listings say the house has “over 3,900” square feet; county property records show 2,559.
- Online listings shows 8 bedrooms; country property records show 5.
- Listing: “Basement with kitchenette, three bedrooms, full bath and private entrance.”
- $195,000 (originally listed at $199,000)
- The depot didn’t sell at auction held Saturday September 28, 2019.
- 3 bedrooms, 1 1/2 bathrooms, 1,612 square feet, 1.93 acres
- Price/square foot: $123 (at $199,000)
- Built in 1898
- Listed October 24, 2018
- Last sale: $170,000, May 2003
- Note: The Depot was relocated in 1977 and converted into a private home.
- “For all you train enthusiasts…or maybe you’re looking for a Bed n Breakfast, Restaurant location or one of a kind Brewery.”
- Auction listing: “AUCTION September 28 at 11 a.m., SUBJECT TO CONFIRMATION W/ a RESERVE. SOLD AS-IS, ALL INSPECTIONS SHOULD BE DONE PRIOR TO THE SALE.”
- A previous listing showed the home as 2,132 square feet. County property records show 1,612.
402 Steele Street, High Point
Dr. John Joseph Hamlin and Margaret Pickett Hamlin House
no longer under contract as of November 6, 2019
- 7 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, 3,702 square feet
- Price/square foot: $47
- Built in 1925
- Listed October 12, 2019
- Last sale: $75,000, June 1994
- Listing: “Most of the remaining updates are cosmetic … ”
- “Located within walking distance of the Furniture Showroom District it screams for a new life as a Bed and Breakfast.”