Updated May 13, 2019
Some older properties, especially outsized, rural ones, are marketed as possible commercial properties — b&b’s, vineyards, event venues and such — rather than or in addition to residential use.
- $7.5 million
- Bedrooms and bathrooms not specified, 6,187 square feet, 1,768 acres
- Price/square foot: $1,212
- Built in 1825
- Listing date unknown
- Last sale: $1.58 million, August 2001
- Property website: “For the past years the plantation has hosted hunting and sporting activities … Throughout most of our long history, Willow Oaks Plantation has been a private residence. The Property is reverting to such. Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause. More information is coming soon.”
- The property includes two additional residences called the Lodge and the Ranch.
- Located on the Dan River, the property includes creeks, two 6-acre lakes, ponds and shallow impoundments.
- The property includes equestrian facilities.
- $3.45 million
- 10 bedrooms, 8 full bathrooms and two half-bathrooms, 9,285 square feet, 48.23 acres
- Price/square foot: $372
- Built in 1934
- Listed January 17, 2019
- Last sale: $1.3 million, December 2017
- Note: The house was designed by Delano & Aldrich of New York.
- The property is what remains of a 1,500-acre hunting retreat developed from 1911 to 1931 by William Rabb Craig, a New York cotton and sugar broker who died in 1931. Craig’s widow built the house on the site of a hunting lodge built in the 1910’s.
- The listing says a $5 million restoration of the house was completed in 2007.
- The property includes a guest cabin built in 1933, a barn built in the 1910’s and a pond.
- It is now a bed and breakfast and a wedding/event venue.
- $1.175 million
- 11 bedrooms, 8 bathrooms, 7,567 square feet, 22 acres
- The figures are totals for a cottage and four log cabins.
- Price/square foot: $155
- Built in 1940
- Listed August 1, 2018
- Last sale: $3.6 million, February 1992
- Note: The property includes four log cabins and a cottage that are now rented for weddings and events. It is part of Grassy Creek Vineyard and Winery.
- Located a mile outside Elkin and two miles from Interstate 77
- The property includes creeks, a lake and a pond.
- The cottage has two suites with a bathroom in each.
- The main log cabin has 4 bedrooms, 2 1/2 bathrooms, a large entertainment area, a dining room that can seat more than 50 people, a fully equipped kitchen and a covered porch overlooking the lake.
- Two cabins are two-bedroom, two-bathroom duplexes.
- The fourth cabin is a game room with a pool table, card table, satellite television, stereo, bar and bathroom.
- All furniture, fixtures and equipment are included in the sale.
- One of the cabins:
3451 W. Pine Street, Mount Airy, Surry County
Pine Ridge Inn
- $650,000 with 27.6 acres
- $575,000 with 18.6 acres,
- $499,000 with 8.1 acres,
- or $445,000 with 3 acres,
- 7 bedrooms, 7 1/2 bathrooms, 7,450 square feet, up to 27.6 acres
- Price/square foot: $87 (27.6 acres)
- Built in 1941
- Listed July 7, 2017
- Last sale: $320,000, February 2003
- Listing: “Gently rolling Pasture would make for great Vineyard …”
- The property includes a guest house, outbuildings and a stream.
- The house has a commercial kitchen and a large dining area.
- Previously listed in 2015 for $799,000 (per Zillow).
640 Cedar Grove Church Road, Mocksville, Davie County
Chestnut Trail Vineyards
- 3 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms 2,800 square feet, 10 acres
- Price/square foot: $161
- Built in 1940
- Listed April 11, 2019
- Last sale: $265,000, May 2006
- Listing: “Continue the legacy of Chestnut Trail Vineyards award winning wines, horse farm, possible bed and breakfast, special event center …”
- The house includes an attached in-law suite.
- The property has a large barn with six stalls, one acre of established muscadine vines and a 24-foot-by36-foot covered pavilion with a full basement, rough plumbed for bathrooms.
- An additional 30 acres are available.
- 4 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms, 3,179 square feet, 3.1 acres
- Price/square foot: $126
- Built in 1914
- Listing date unknown
- Last sale: $325,000, November 2005
- Listing: The property includes an owners cottage of 1,343 square feet with two bedrooms, two bathrooms, a living room, kitchenette and a loft over one of the bedrooms.
- The property also has a carport and five outbuildings, three of which are connected via a wooden deck. “These building are currently used for storage, but could easily be converted into artist studios, pottery workshops, guest rooms, gift shop or event space.” The others are a children’s play house and a tobacco barn.
- 5 bedrooms; 2 full bathrooms, 3 three-quarter bathrooms, 1 half -bathroom; 3,225 square feet; 1.44 acres
- Price/square foot: $116
- Built in 1934
- Listed October 12, 2017
- Last sale: $245,000, September 2005
- Note: Vinyl siding
- $368,000 (originally listed at $425,000)
- 6 bedrooms, 5 1/2 bathrooms, 4,790 square feet, 0.57 acre
- Price/square foot: $77
- Built in 1903
- Listed July 23, 2018
- Last sale: $365,000, August 2016
- Note: The property includes seven fireplaces; main-level master with en-suite, 12’x11′ walk-in closet and private side yard; wrap-around front porch; large back yard with in-ground pool, hot tub, two pergolas and privacy fencing.
130 Piedmont Avenue, Winston-Salem
contract pending as of April 23, 2019
- 6 bedrooms, 6 bathrooms, 3,702 square feet
- Price/square foot: $89
- Built in 1927
- Listed April 16, 2019
- Last sale: $68,000, August 1983
- Neighborhood: West End
- Note: Five-unit apartment house — four units have 1 bedroom and 1 bathroom, one has 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms.
- $324,900 (originally listed at $349,900)
- 5 bedrooms, 4 1/2 bathrooms, 3,594 square feet, 2.22 acres
- Price/square foot: $90
- Built in 1920
- Listed September 11, 2018
- Last sale: $130,000, May 2013
656 N. Bridge Street, Elkin, Surry County
The Dutch Castle
- $285,000 (originally listed at $269,900)
- 4 bathrooms, 3,467 square feet, 0.54 acre
- Price/square foot: $82
- Built in 1930
- Listed September 21, 2017
- Last sale: $181,500, July 2015
- Listing: “This building has seen many uses over its history, recently utilized as professional office space and retail. Possible office, retail, specialty shop or maybe a wine tasting room.”
- For sale by owner
308 W. Church Street, Mount Airy, Surry County
contract pending as of April 16, 2019
- $268,500 (originally listed at $280,000)
- 4 bedrooms, 3 full bathrooms and 2 half-bathrooms, 3,351 square feet
- Price/square foot: $80
- Built in 1885
- Listed September 2017
- Last sale: $158,000, July 2002
- Note: A 1996 renovation replaced all interior walls and electrical, lighting, plumbing and wiring systems.
- Floors are “primarily” original hardwoods.
- The listing promotes the property as a potential bed-and-breakfast.
408 S. Main Street, Reidsville, Rockingham County
contract pending as of November 2, 2018
- 6 bedrooms, 3 1/2 bathrooms, 4,442 square feet, 0.47 acre
- Price/square foot: $34
- Built in 1890
- Listed October 5, 2018
- Last sale: $175,000, September 2010
- Note: The house is apparently divided up into multiple units and has been used at least partly as offices. A sign in the front yard formerly read, “Virtual-Office Space.”
- The property also is listed by a commercial real-estate broker as offices.
- Property includes a garage/workshop.
- “Lots of potential in downtown historic area. … Many possibilities!! Needs TLC.”
- Located next to First Presbyterian Church and across the street from First Baptist Church.
- The seller is using an online broker-assisted for-sale-by-owner service that provides MLS listings and assistance via email and phone.
216 E. Main Street, Yanceyville, Caswell County
The Dr. Nathaniel Roan House, 1838
- $89,000 (originally listed at $119,000)
- 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 2,572 square feet, 1 acre
- Price/square foot: $35
- Built in 1838
- Listed December 21, 2016
- Last sale: Information not available online
- Listing: “Charming 1.5 story home in Greek Revival and Gothic Cottage styles in the heart of downtown Yanceyville across from public library. … With its proximity to the courthouse, town hall and several churches, this would also make a tremendous wedding venue.”