Updated January 27, 2019
Some older properties, especially outsized, rural ones, are marketed as possible commercial properties — b&b’s, vineyards, event venues and such — rather than or in addition to residential use.
- $3.45 million
- 10 bedrooms, 8 full bathrooms and two half-bathrooms, 9,285 square feet, 48.23 acres
- Price/square foot: $372
- Built in 1934
- Listed January 17, 2019
- Last sale: $1.3 million, December 2017
- Note: The house was designed by Delano & Aldrich of New York.
- The property is what remains of a 1,500-acre hunting retreat developed from 1911 to 1931 by William Rabb Craig, a New York cotton and sugar broker who died in 1931. Craig’s widow built the house on the site of a hunting lodge built in the 1910’s.
- The listing says a $5 million restoration of the house was completed in 2007.
- The property includes a guest cabin built in 1933, a barn built in the 1910’s and a pond.
- It is now a bed and breakfast and a wedding/event venue.
7075 Kivette House Road, Gibsonville, Guilford County
The Kivette House
- 7 bedrooms, 4 1/2 bathrooms, 6,336 square feet, 12.82 acres
- Price/square foot: $130
- Built in 1934
- Listed September 9, 2019
- Last sale: $365,000, December 2004
- Note: The property includes a two-story carriage house.
- The property was marketed previously as a residence or as a b&b/event venue (although there already is one in Gibsonville).
- For more about the Kivette family, click here.
- The house was listed recently for about a year, originally at $875,000.
351 W. Meadow Road, Eden, Rockingham County
The Eggleston-Ziglar House
Blog post — Rivermont in Eden: A Landmark 1936 Mansion on the Smith River, $650,000
- 5 bedrooms, 5 full bathrooms and two half-bathrooms, 5,231 square feet, 15.06 acres
- Price/square foot: $124
- Built in 1936
- Last sales: $400,000, March 2019; $455,000, September 2017
- Neighborhood: Leaksville
- Note: Was for sale by owner, now listed with an agent (as of January 19, 2020)
- The home’s new owners bought the house in March 2019, made some renovations, secured designation for it as a local landmark in June and now have put it up for sale again at 62 percent more than they paid for it.
- The property is on the Smith River.
- From the previous FSBO listing: “Rivermont would make a great home for entertaining, a B&B or wedding venue.” The last previous owners marketed it as a performance and event venue; its Facebook page still exists (not updated since December 2018).
- The house still has its slate roof.
- County property records show the house with 5,231 square feet; the listing says 5,500.
- 6 bedrooms, 3 1/2 bathrooms, 5,135 square feet, 0.42 acres (see note)
- Price/square foot: $117
- Built in 1892
- Listed July 14, 2019
- Last sale: Listing says it was in 1910; no further information is available online.
- Listing: For sale by owner
- The house is on a lot of 0.42 acre. The listing references two additional lots that are included, apparently another 0.43 acre total.
- The house is across the street from the Montgomery County Courthouse.
- “A portion of the home was the original town post office and has remained in the same family since 1910.”
- “Remington chandeliers from Pennsylvania, mahogany over-mantles from plantations on the Mississippi River, fireplaces throughout. Hidden doorways and many nooks and crannies with quirky charm. … An impressive 2 story pine paneled entrance with original oak floors, stained glass window, and a massive staircase … Original 10′ & 12′ stamped metal ceilings. Elegant formal dining room has been known to seat 30+ family and guests. A fully stocked library with volumes of antique books. … 20×36 foot wine cellar in basement with stone fireplace and steel reinforced storm shelter.”
- “Perfect for a bed and breakfast, home-based business, shop, office, educational facility or just a residence for large family or someone who welcomes an abundance of visitors.
- “Entertainment/game/billiard room is 25 x 36 with pool table included An indoor pool remains structured under the large billiard room floor if so desired to convert back into function.”
- “A 64×32′ garage holds approx. 18 cars and is located on additional 2 lots (included) just perfect for a multitude of needs from collector cars to business product storage.”
- This appears to be the garage:
408 S. Main Street, Lexington, Davidson County
The Homestead (also known as the Holt House)
- 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, 4,091 square feet, 1.28 acres
- Price/square foot: $106
- Built in 1834
- Listed January 15, 2020
- Last sale: $260,000, May 2016
- Listing: “Great for a private home or business (ex. venue for weddings, parties, etc.).”
1011 Center Church Road, Eden, Rockingham County
The Johns Manor House (also known as the Johns-Osborne House)
- 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, 3,970 square feet, 2.55 acres
- Price/square foot: $98
- Built in 1840 (sometimes listed as 1850)
- Listed June 18, 2019
- Last sale: $20,000, December 2009
- Note: Designated as a historic landmark by the Eden Historic Preservation Commission
- Listing: “Built between 1840 and 1850 by Dr. Anthony Johns, one of the first physicians in Leaksville.”
- The property has been used as an event center “but can be a grand private residence.”
- City ordinance designating the house as a historic landmark: “The original house was a large brick, one-room-deep, two-story structure with a rear two-story ell. … The main house was enlarged in the late 19th or early 20th century with a two-story addition behind the original structure. In the mid-20th century, a one-story wing over a basement was added on the rear and east side of the main house. A wide two-story portico with square columns was also added sometime in the 20th century, giving the home a ‘Mount Vernon’ style appearance.”
- $299,900 (originally listed at $399,900)
- An auction scheduled for December 7 was postponed, and now the idea appears to have been dropped
- 4 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms, 3,179 square feet, 3.1 acres
- Price/square foot: $94
- Built in 1914
- Listed August 26, 2019
- Last sale: $325,000, November 2005
- Listing: The property includes an owners cottage of 1,343 square feet with two bedrooms, two bathrooms, a living room, kitchenette and a loft over one of the bedrooms.
- The property also has a carport and five outbuildings, three of which are connected via a wooden deck. “These building are currently used for storage, but could easily be converted into artist studios, pottery workshops, guest rooms, gift shop or event space.” The others are a children’s play house and a tobacco barn.
- $319,900 (originally listed at $349,900)
- 5 bedrooms, 4 1/2 bathrooms, 3,594 square feet, 2.22 acres
- Price/square foot: $89
- Built in 1920
- Listed September 11, 2018
- Last sale: $130,000, May 2013
704 Summit Avenue, Greensboro
no longer under contract as of September 30, 2019
- 8 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms, 2,559 square feet
- Price/square foot: $66
- Built in 1923
- Listed August 13, 2019
- Last sale: $28,500, December 2005
- Neighborhood: Dunleath Historic District
- Note: No central air conditioning
- Photos with the listing indicate the interior is in better condition than the exterior.
- Online listings say the house has “over 3,900” square feet; county property records show 2,559.
- Online listings shows 8 bedrooms; country property records show 5.
- Listing: “Basement with kitchenette, three bedrooms, full bath and private entrance.”
- $195,000 (originally listed at $199,000)
- The depot didn’t sell at auction held Saturday September 28, 2019.
- 3 bedrooms, 1 1/2 bathrooms, 1,612 square feet, 1.93 acres
- Price/square foot: $123 (at $199,000)
- Built in 1898
- Listed October 24, 2018
- Last sale: $170,000, May 2003
- Note: The Depot was relocated in 1977 and converted into a private home.
- “For all you train enthusiasts…or maybe you’re looking for a Bed n Breakfast, Restaurant location or one of a kind Brewery.”
- Auction listing: “AUCTION September 28 at 11 a.m., SUBJECT TO CONFIRMATION W/ a RESERVE. SOLD AS-IS, ALL INSPECTIONS SHOULD BE DONE PRIOR TO THE SALE.”
- A previous listing showed the home as 2,132 square feet. County property records show 1,612.