Updated June 26, 2019
Some older properties, especially outsized, rural ones, are marketed as possible commercial properties — b&b’s, vineyards, event venues and such — rather than or in addition to residential use.
- $3.45 million
- 10 bedrooms, 8 full bathrooms and two half-bathrooms, 9,285 square feet, 48.23 acres
- Price/square foot: $372
- Built in 1934
- Listed January 17, 2019
- Last sale: $1.3 million, December 2017
- Note: The house was designed by Delano & Aldrich of New York.
- The property is what remains of a 1,500-acre hunting retreat developed from 1911 to 1931 by William Rabb Craig, a New York cotton and sugar broker who died in 1931. Craig’s widow built the house on the site of a hunting lodge built in the 1910’s.
- The listing says a $5 million restoration of the house was completed in 2007.
- The property includes a guest cabin built in 1933, a barn built in the 1910’s and a pond.
- It is now a bed and breakfast and a wedding/event venue.
303 Burke Street, Gibsonville, Guilford County
The Burke Manor Inn & Pavilion
- $2.2 million
- 6 bedrooms, 7 1/2 bathrooms, 5,166 square feet, 2.64 acres
- Price/square foot: $426
- Built in 1906
- Listing date not known
- Last sale: $1.1 million, January 2011
- From the inn’s website: “Caesar Cone, a textile magnate and co-founder of Cone Mills Corporation, built the house on 303 Burke Street in 1906. In 1911, Caesar Cone sold the home to J.W. Burke, where 4 generations of the Burke family resided in the estate. The Brady Family bought Burke Manor in 1999 and restored the home to its original grandeur, as designed by the Cone family. The Brady’s converted the grounds into an inn with the idea of transforming the house into a bed & breakfast. The owners today, Lori and Lil Lacassagne, purchased Burke Manor in 2011. ”
- The property includes an in-ground pool.
354 Chatham Cottage Circle, State Road, Surry County
listing expired August 1, 2019
relisted April 10, 2020
- $915,000 (originally $1.175 million)
- 11 bedrooms, 8 bathrooms, 7,567 square feet, 22 acres
- The figures are totals for a cottage and four log cabins.
- Price/square foot: $121
- Built in 1940
- Listed August 1, 2018
- Last sale: $3.6 million, February 1992
- Note: The property includes four log cabins and a cottage that are now rented for weddings and events. It is part of Grassy Creek Vineyard and Winery.
- Located a mile outside Elkin and two miles from Interstate 77
- The property includes creeks, a lake and a pond.
- The cottage has two suites with a bathroom in each.
- The main log cabin has 4 bedrooms, 2 1/2 bathrooms, a large entertainment area, a dining room that can seat more than 50 people, a fully equipped kitchen and a covered porch overlooking the lake.
- Two cabins are two-bedroom, two-bathroom duplexes.
- The fourth cabin is a game room with a pool table, card table, satellite television, stereo, bar and bathroom.
- All furniture, fixtures and equipment are included in the sale.
- One of the cabins:
7075 Kivette House Road, Gibsonville, Guilford County
The Kivette House
- 7 bedrooms, 4 1/2 bathrooms, 6,336 square feet, 12.82 acres
- Price/square foot: $130
- Built in 1934
- Listed September 9, 2019
- Last sale: $365,000, December 2004
- Note: The property includes a two-story carriage house.
- The property was marketed previously as a residence or as a b&b/event venue (although there already is one in Gibsonville).
- For more about the Kivette family, click here.
- The house was listed recently for about a year, originally at $875,000.
351 W. Meadow Road, Eden, Rockingham County
The Eggleston-Ziglar House
Blog post — Rivermont in Eden: A Landmark 1936 Mansion on the Smith River, $650,000
listing withdrawn March 6, 2020
relisted March 16, 2020
- 5 bedrooms, 5 full bathrooms and two half-bathrooms, 5,231 square feet (per county records), 15.06 acres
- Price/square foot: $124
- Built in 1936
- Last sales: $400,000, March 2019; $455,000, September 2017
- Neighborhood: Leaksville
- Note: Was for sale by owner, now listed with an agent
- The home’s new owners bought the house in March 2019, made some renovations, secured designation for it as a local landmark in June and now have put it up for sale again at 62 percent more than they paid for it.
- The property is on the Smith River.
- From the previous FSBO listing: “Rivermont would make a great home for entertaining, a B&B or wedding venue.” The last previous owners marketed it as a performance and event venue.
- The house still has its slate roof.
115 S. Pearl Street, Troy, Montgomery County
listing withdrawn June 19, 2020
- 6 bedrooms, 3 1/2 bathrooms, 5,135 square feet, 0.42 acres (see note)
- Price/square foot: $117
- Built in 1892
- Listed July 14, 2019
- Last sale: Listing says it was in 1910; no further information is available online.
- Listing: For sale by owner
- The house is on a lot of 0.42 acre. The listing references two additional lots that are included, apparently another 0.43 acre total.
- The house is across the street from the Montgomery County Courthouse.
- “A portion of the home was the original town post office and has remained in the same family since 1910.”
- “Remington chandeliers from Pennsylvania, mahogany over-mantles from plantations on the Mississippi River, fireplaces throughout. Hidden doorways and many nooks and crannies with quirky charm. … An impressive 2 story pine paneled entrance with original oak floors, stained glass window, and a massive staircase … Original 10′ & 12′ stamped metal ceilings. Elegant formal dining room has been known to seat 30+ family and guests. A fully stocked library with volumes of antique books. … 20×36 foot wine cellar in basement with stone fireplace and steel reinforced storm shelter.”
- “Perfect for a bed and breakfast, home-based business, shop, office, educational facility or just a residence for large family or someone who welcomes an abundance of visitors.
- “Entertainment/game/billiard room is 25 x 36 with pool table included An indoor pool remains structured under the large billiard room floor if so desired to convert back into function.”
- “A 64×32′ garage holds approx. 18 cars and is located on additional 2 lots (included) just perfect for a multitude of needs from collector cars to business product storage.”
- This appears to be the garage:
1011 Center Church Road, Eden, Rockingham County
The Johns Manor House (also known as the Johns-Osborne House)
- 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, 3,970 square feet, 2.55 acres
- Price/square foot: $98
- Built in 1840 (sometimes listed as 1850)
- Listed June 18, 2019
- Last sale: $20,000, December 2009
- Note: Designated as a historic landmark by the Eden Historic Preservation Commission
- Listing: “Built between 1840 and 1850 by Dr. Anthony Johns, one of the first physicians in Leaksville.”
- The property has been used as an event center “but can be a grand private residence.”
- City ordinance designating the house as a historic landmark: “The original house was a large brick, one-room-deep, two-story structure with a rear two-story ell. … The main house was enlarged in the late 19th or early 20th century with a two-story addition behind the original structure. In the mid-20th century, a one-story wing over a basement was added on the rear and east side of the main house. A wide two-story portico with square columns was also added sometime in the 20th century, giving the home a ‘Mount Vernon’ style appearance.”
- $189,900 (originally $199,000)
- The depot didn’t sell at auction held Saturday September 28, 2019.
- 3 bedrooms, 1 1/2 bathrooms, 1,612 square feet, 1.93 acres
- Price/square foot: $118
- Built in 1898
- Listed October 24, 2018
- Last sale: $170,000, May 2003
- Note: The Depot was relocated in 1977 and converted into a private home.
- “For all you train enthusiasts…or maybe you’re looking for a Bed n Breakfast, Restaurant location or one of a kind Brewery.”
- Auction listing: “AUCTION September 28 at 11 a.m., SUBJECT TO CONFIRMATION W/ a RESERVE. SOLD AS-IS, ALL INSPECTIONS SHOULD BE DONE PRIOR TO THE SALE.”
- A previous listing showed the home as 2,132 square feet. County property records show 1,612.
- $175,000 (originally $149,500)
- 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 3,238 square feet
- Price/square foot: $54
- Built around 1870: Historic records say circa 1870, county records show 1882.
- Listed March 29, 2018
- Last sale: Not available in online records
- Neighborhood: Milton Historic District (NRHP)
- Note: The listing says the house would be a great bed-and-breakfast; all it needs “is your finishing touches.”
- A previous listing showed 1 1/2 bathrooms.
339 N. Bridge Street, Elkin, Surry County
The Bridge Street Apartments
listing withdrawn (date not recorded)
- Five 1-bedroom apartments, 3,654 square feet
- Price/square foot: $38
- Built in 1941
- Listed February 22, 2020
- Last sale: $153,500, March 2001