Updated November 7, 2022
Condos in historic buildings are found in Winston-Salem, Greensboro and some of the area’s smaller cities. Some are in classic apartment buildings; others are in repurposed industrial or commercial buildings, often with ultra-modern interior design.
- 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 4,388 square feet
- Price/square foot: $166
- Built in 1921, converted to condos in 2006
- Listed October 26, 2022
- Last sale: $590,000, March 2021
- HOA: $566/month
- Note: “Industrial chic” two-story penthouse condo with original floors, exposed brick, steel windows, tall ceilings, private roof-top patio, two garage parking spaces and two storage spaces.
- Listing: “Low property taxes (Historic Tax credit) off set HOA dues. Property is available furnished or unfurnished.”
- Forsyth County Local Historic Landmark Program: “The Brown Brothers Tobacco Prizery is one of the few remaining buildings from Winston’s late 19th century tobacco industry. … a six-story, brick, Second Empire-style building, complete with mansard roof. The building features multiple window styles, including double-hung sash topped by brick segmental arches. The mansard roof is sheathed in alternating fish scale and straightedge slate shingles.”
- “The building is Winston-Salem’s only remaining industrial example of the Second Empire style and one of only three examples of the style remaining in the city.”
238 Willow Street, Unit 201, Mount Airy, Surry County
sale pending September 16, 2022
- $259,900 (originally $319,900)
- 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 1,105 square feet
- Price/square foot: $235
- Built in 1890
- Listed July 28, 2022
- Last sale: $182,000, December 2017
- HOA: $250/month
- Neighborhood: Mount Airy Historic District
- Note: Condo in Spencer’s Mill, a former apparel manufacturing complex in downtown Mount Airy.
- The condo comes with two outdoor parking spaces.
- Listing: “Seller does not want to close before Jan. 2, 2023 but will lease with agreed terms to purchaser after all due diligence is complete and satisfactory.”
- The complex received a 2019 North Carolina Main Street award for downtown revitalization.
1013 N. Elm Street, Unit C6, Greensboro
sale pending November 9, 2022
- 2 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, 1,118 square feet
- Price/square foot: $143
- Built in 1930
- Listed November 7, 2022
- Last sale: $73,000, July 2004
- HOA: $349/month
- Neighborhood: Fisher Park Historic District (local and NRHP)
- Note: Condo in the Dolley Madison Apartments
- District NRHP nomination: “The Dolley Madison Apartments, built at 1013 North Elm Street in the late 1930s, is a large, stripped-down, gray-brick building with flat wall surfaces, recessed paired windows, plain iron balconies, and a fringe of green tiles canted down from a flat roof.”