Updated August 25, 2026
Featured Property
Greensboro, High Point and Guilford County
Winston-Salem and Forsyth County
Alamance, Caswell, Rockingham and Neighboring Counties
Stokes, Surry, Yadkin, Davie and Neighboring Counties
Davidson, Randolph, Montgomery and Neighboring Counties
Featured Restoration Project: A Two-Room Schoolhouse in Stokes County, circa 1900, $175,000
1055 Ed Booth Road, Moore’s Spring, Stokes County
- $175,000
- 1 acre
- Built circa 1900
- Listed June 3, 2026
- Last sales: $12,000, May 2018; $200, November 1937
- Neighborhood: Near the Moore’s Spring community, just off Moore’s Spring Road, about 5 miles west of Danbury and 15 miles southeast of Westfield. It has a Westfield mailing address.
- Note: The school may have been called Moore’s Spring School, since that’s the community it served. The two-room schoolhouse most likely was built around 1900. The school was closed by 1937, probably several years earlier as smaller community schools were combined into larger ones.
- Three sides of the property face Hanging Rock State Park.
- Stokes County Historic Inventory, 1989: “Judging from those which remain, many of the late nineteenth and early twentieth-century schools in the county were practical frame buildings with one or two rooms and little or no ornamentation. … The schools for white children in the county consolidated into fewer and larger structures during the 1920s and early 1930s. It was at this time that most, if not all, of the small frame schoolhouses ceased operation.”
Greensboro, High Point and Guilford County
Greensboro, High Point and Guilford County
821pearson
821 Pearson Street, Greensboro
Sale pending June 13 to July 7, 2025
Listing withdrawn December 1, 2025
Relisted August 23, 2026
- $295,000 (originally $210,000, later $185,000)
- 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 2,284 square feet, 0.28 acre
- Price/square foot: $129
- Built in 1900 (per county, but probably several years earlier; see note)
- Listed April 23, 2025
- Last sale: $107,000, November 1999
- Neighborhood: South Greensboro Historic District (NR)
- Note: The house is being renovated. The pictures above are from the 2025 listing. The current listing has more recent photos.
- For sale by owner.
- District NR nomination: “L-plan, residence, 1890-1899”
- The house has been a rental for most of its existence. The property was bought in 1890 by Thomas A. Spencer of Guilford County (dates unknown). He used it as a rental property. He sold it in 1914.
- The address appears in the city directory as early as 1892, when M.C. Hendley (dates unknown), a mechanic, was listed there. The 1896-97 city directory lists Truxillo Alba Vada Terrell Hawkins, a widow, and adult daughters Fannie, Kate, Lelia, and Mattie Hawkins at the address. Mrs. M. Ward, another widow, was listed in 1899-1900.
- From around 1901 to 1904 the residents were Charles Edward Woltz (1851-1930), a carpenter, Jennie Watt Clack Woltz (1855-1939) and their son James Edward Woltz (1877-1908), also a carpenter.
- The first owners to live in the house were Baxter Willis Terrell (1878-1948) and Myrtle Rea Terrell (1882-1972), who bought the house from Spencer in 1914. Baxter owned a furniture store. They sold the house to F.A. Terrell in 1922, presumably Baxter’s brother Fred Anderson Terrell (1886-1938), one of Baxter’s salesmen.
- Fred sold the house in 1923 to Thomas D. Tinnin Jr. (1874-1943) and Minnie Lou Whisett Tinnin (1873-1968). They rented the house out. Thomas was a bookkeeper. He worked for the American Agricultural Chemical Company for many years. Minnie sold the house in 1945.
- In 1951 Booker Talefero Washington McCallum (1903-1988) and Willie Mae McCallum (1911-1980) bought the house. Booker was a school principal. He rented the house out. He sold it in 1984.
507scedar
507 S. Cedar Street, Greensboro
The Matlock-Irwin House
Sale pending January 15 to July 20, 2026
Sale pending July 31, 2026
- $160,000 (originally $235,000)
- 3 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, 1,634 square feet, 0.10 acre
- Price/square foot: $98
- Built circa 1900
- Listed October 7, 2025
- Last sale: $2,750, September 1949
- Neighborhood: College Hill Historic District (local and NR)
- Note: County records give the date of the house as 1912.
- No central heat or air conditioning.
- District NR nomination: “Queen Anne I-house. This two-story, two·room·deep, gable-end dwelling apparently was originally erected on the corner lot to its south (now 610 Morehead Avenue) at the opening of the century, its first occupant grocer Matlock. In the mid 1910s it was shifted to this lot, its first occupant on its new site auto mechanic Wade C. Baggett.”
- Samuel Burgess Matlock was a plasterer before he went into the grocery business in 1904. He passed the business on to his son Samuel Jr. when he retired. He came from either Alamance County or Caswell (accounts differ) and lived in Greensboro for 55 years. He also was a volunteer firefighter.
- Wade C. Baggett (dates unknown) was listed at 507 Cedar in 1917, the first year it appeared in the city directory. By 1920, he had disappeared from the directory.
- In 1949, Woodrow Wilson “Pop” Irwin (1914-1987) and Mary Fredda Darby Irwin (1914-1984) bought the house. It has now been owned by their family for 76 years. Pop was a mechanic at Fred Ayers Music Company. They lived in the house for the rest of their lives. Daughter Jacqueline Reed Irwin Loy (1935-2023) and son-in-law John Erwin Loy (1934-2010) were living with Pop when when he died and inherited the house. Jackie’s estate is selling the house.
winston
Winston-Salem and Forsyth County
1200peachtree
120 Peachtree Street, Winston-Salem
- $135,000
- 3 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, 1,691 square feet, 0.45 acre
- Price/square foot: $80
- Built in 1957
- Listed August 17, 2026
- Last sales: $103,000, July 2026; $75,000, April 2001
- Neighborhood: Morningside Manor
- Note: The original owner was Mary Alice Cruise (dates unknown), who bought the property in 1958. She sold it in 1960. It changed hands a couple times before being bought in 1970 by Blanche C. Bryson (1912-1995), who owned it for the rest of her life. It is now being sold by the estate of a daughter, Marvel Choate (1945-2025).
1120waughtown
1120 Waughtown Street, Winston Salem
The George and Mamie Kimble House
- $129,900 (originally $145,900)
- 3 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, 1,066 square feet, 0.18 acre
- Price/square foot: $122
- Built in 1918
- Listed July 30, 2026
- Last sale: $38,800, October 2017
- Neighborhood: Waughtown-Belview Historic District (NR)
- Note: Now a rental
- District NR nomination: “Craftsman Bungalow. One story; side gable; shed-roof dormer; asbestos shingle siding; shed-roof porch; battered columns on brick piers; two-over-two double-hung sash windows; tails; knee braces.”
- The property was first listed in the city directory in 1920 as 2214 Waughtown. The original owners were George Robert Kimble (1881-1947) and Mamie Franklin Roberts Kimble (1892-1978). George was an engineer on the Norfolk & Western Railroad. After George died, Mamie continued to live in the house for the rest of her life.
2508sink

2508 Sink Street, Winston-Salem
- A continuing series of online auctions is under way.
- Opening bid: $25,000
- 3 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, 1,051 square feet, 0.18 acre
- Built in 1922
- Last sales: $91,500, June 2026 (foreclosure); $140,000, December 2022
- Neighborhood: Waughtown-Belview Historic District (NR)
- Note: This is the third time since 2007 that the house been taken by a lender.
- District NR nomination: “One story; side gable; asbestos shingle siding; shingled gable ends and shed-roof dormer; nine-over-one windows; shed-roof porch; square posts on brick piers; knee braces.”
1744longview
1744 Longview Drive, Winston-Salem
- Second auction under way August 23, 2026
- “FIRST LOOK OPPORTUNITY. Owner-occupants, public entities, and non-profits can bid before investors. Auction starts 08-23-2026. First Look Period ends 08-25-2026.”
- Third auction scheduled Sunday August 30, 8 a.m., through Tuesday September 1 (ending time not specified).
- 3 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, 1,562 square feet, 0.15 acre
- Built in 1948
- Last sale: $15,000, December 1985
- Neighborhood: Waughtown-Belview Historic District (NR)
- Note: The house was bought in 1985 by Bennie Lee Swepson (d. 2008, age 82) and Amy Swepson (dates unknown). Bernie worked for R.J. Reynolds. He was an Army veteran and a stunt motorcycle rider.
- District NR nomination: “Period Cottage. One story; side gable; brick; front-gable entry pavilion; facade chimney with stone accents; metal porch; one-over-one replacement windows.”
Alamance, Caswell and Rockingham Counties
Alamance, Caswell and Rockingham Counties
2357baynes
2357 Baynes Road, Caswell County
Baynes Store
Sale pending August 11, 2026
- $325,000 (originally $375,000)
- Store: 1 1/2 bathrooms, 1,712 square feet, 1.26 acres
- House: 2 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, 1,128 square feet
- Price/square foot: $114 (store and house combined, 2,840 square feet)
- Store built ca. 1907; house, 1920
- Listed May 2, 2026
- Last sale: 1962, price unknown
- Neighborhood: At the corner of Baynes Road and N.C. Highway 119, in the Anderson community in southern Caswell County. About 13 miles south of Yanceyville and 16 miles north of Burlington. The property has a Burlington mailing address.
- Note: The store and house are being sold together. The store has a “Main floor bathroom, Loading dock, Walk-in cooler (one wall currently missing), Multiple reach-in coolers, tons of original built-ins and character, even a separate Electrical Utility post with meter that once housed a food cart. Upstairs features a large open area with an additional small room and a partial bathroom.”
- County records show the store’s date as 1950, which is off by decades.
- One local report says a store operated at the location from the 1840s until 2018. A 2009 post on the invaluable Caswell County North Carolina blog recounts the history of the store. The current building is the second, built in 1907 or 1908 (accounts differ). The store was originally named Baynes & Harrelson for the original owners, James Rainey Baynes (1855-1923) and his brother-in-law Leonidas Franklin Harrelson (1858-1939). James’s son James Macon Baynes (1896-1969) followed them. He sold the store in 1962 to his clerk, J. Elliott “Coot” (or “Cooter”) Grubbs (1914-1993). The estate of Coot’s widow, Willie Frances Roberts Grubbs (1922-2014), is now selling the property.
- Coot retired in 1979. The store may or may not have closed for a couple years but in any case continued with other operators until 2018. The final owner was David Herman.
- “Herman said there used to be a baseball field in the back and a pavilion next to the son’s place,” the Caswell Messenger reported in 2018. “People would picnic and cookout and buy supplies from the store.
- “‘This has always been a regional meeting place,’ he said, ‘a fork in the road with nothing else around. Clubs and random groups that don’t exist anymore would come here and have meetings.’
- “The words ‘Town Hall’ are painted above a door to the side of the main entrance as a part of an extension to the building, constructed in the 1960s during the Vietnam War.
- “Herman said a bailiff and judge from Caswell County would hold court at Baynes General Store once day a week. From the attic, where coffins were once made, they’d bring a podium down.
- “‘They would hold court for the people of this area, because it was difficult to get to Yanceyville at the time with roads being unpaved and most people not having cars,’ said Herman.”
603wdavis
603 W. Davis Street, Burlington, Alamance County
The Cicero Holt House
Listing withdrawn January 31, 2023; relisted November 18, 2023
Sale pending May 4 to August 5, 2024
Listing withdrawn October 22, 2024; relisted January 3, 2025
Sale pending July 17, 2025
No longer under contract August 21, 2025
- $274,900 (originally $432,000)
- Originally a single-family home, now a boarding house with 8 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, 4,084 square feet, 0.52 acre
- Price/square foot: $67
- Built in 1930 (per county, or ca. 1915; see note)
- Listed August 18, 2022
- Last sale: $250,000, December 2020
- Neighborhood: West Davis Street-Fountain Place Historic District
- Previous listing: “Currently serves as a 10 unit home with 3 Full Bathrooms and a common Kitchen. … Could be converted back into a Single Family Home.”
- Note: No central air conditioning
- District NRHP nomination: “Originally a one-story ca. 1915 structure, this frame residence of Cicero Holt, a partner in Burlington Hardware Company, achieved its present configuration when the shingle-sided second floor was added in the early 1920s.
- “The house is covered by a hipped roof and features a one-story wraparound porch, enclosed on the east side, with massive tapered wooden posts on brick piers. These tapered posts probably are replacement supports installed when the second story was added.”
616nmebane
616 N. Mebane Street, Burlington, Alamance County
The Hurdle House
Sale pending August 9, 2025
No longer under contract January 28, 2026
- $324,900 (originally $299,900, later as low as $259,900)
- 10 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms, 3,276 square feet, 0.31 acre
- Price/square foot: $99
- Built ca. 1924 (see note)
- Listed March 4, 2025
- Last sale: $73,000, December 2015
- Note: Originally a single-family home, the house has been divided into four low-end apartments.
- “The dominant features of this large, late nineteenth/early twentieth century are its one-story wraparound porch with corner pavilion and the rock-faced stone used for the foundation, porch piers and chimneys. Typical of the style are the irregular configuration and high hip roof extending to pedimented gables covering a variety of bays on the facade and side elevations. Now converted to rental apartments, the house features Colonial Revival trim, such as slender classical columns, an entrance with transom and sidelights, and a round window lighting the second-floor stair hall.” (An Architectural History of Burlington, North Carolina, p. 57)
- County records give 1950 as the date of the house, which is clearly decades too late. The home’s original street address appears to have been 307 N. Mebane, which appears in the 1924 city directory.
- The original owners appear to have been Joseph Hardy Hurdle (1845-1927) and Rebecca Isabelle Walker Hurdle (1859-1947). They bought the property in 1924 and were listed at 307 N. Mebane that year. Joseph was a “pioneer citizen of Alamance, for many years an influential and highly respected farmer,” the Greensboro Daily News wrote. Rebecca lost the house to foreclosure in 1931.
712smain
712 S. Main Street, Reidsville, Rockingham County
The George and Florence Burton House
Sale pending May 6, 2026
No longer under contract May 7, 2026
- $199,900 (originally $255,000)
- 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 3,024 square feet, 0.33 acre
- Price/square foot: $66
- Built in 1927
- Listed April 9, 2026
- Last sale: Deed not found online
- Neighborhood: Old Post Road Historic District (local), Reidsville Historic District (NR)
- Note: The house needs cosmetic work throughout, but it hasn’t been ruined with vinyl floors and other cheap crap.
- District NR nomination: “A substantial number of ‘four-square’ houses — two-story, double-pile, hipped-roof frame dwellings — exhibit classical details. For instance, the house at 712 south Main Street has Tuscan columns supporting the full-facade porch and sidelights flanking the entrance.”
- The earliest known owners were George Washington Burton (1857-1936) and Florence Lee Mims Burton (1864-1942). George had an eclectic career, working in Milton in the retail trade, later entering the tobacco business in Reidsville. “When his health began to fail, he became the proprietor of the Piedmont Hotel, which business he continued until his death,” his obituary said.
- The house was bought in 1944 by Clarence Lamar Jolly (d. 1958, age 56) and Priscilla Charles Hoffman Jolly (dates unknown). Clarence was a graduate of Georgia Tech and a career textile executive. He came to Reidsville as general superintendent of the Cone Mill Edna Plant.
- In 1977, their son Charles and daughter-in-law Myrna took ownership. They sold the house in 1981 to Walter Daniel Rakestraw (1927-2010) and Dorothy Grey Dove Rakestraw (1928-2023). Dot worked for Sears for 30 years. Walter worked for the IRS. After retiring, he operated several businesses, including R and R Realty, Golden Tan, Silver Shears and Golden Comb. Dot’s estate is now selling the house.
223lawsonville
223 Lawsonville Avenue, Reidsville, Rockingham County
The Major W.S. Allen House
- $175,000 (originally $214,000)
- 5 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 2,972 square feet, 0.57 acre
- Price/square foot: $59
- Built in 1870
- Listed June 26, 2026
- Last sales: $14,800, December 1980; $3,500, August 1939
- Neighborhood: Governor Reid Historic District (local), Reidsville Historic District (NR)
- Note: A Folk Victorian with gable-front-and-wing form and characteristic bay window and turned porch posts.
- District NR nomination: “Significant as the home of Major W.S. Allen (1839-1927).” William Samuel Allen was a native of Guilford County and a Confederate veteran. He became one of Reidsville’s original town commissioners when the town was incorporated in 1873. He served several terms as mayor and also was named to the school board. He operated a drug store for 30 years and was involved in tobacco manufacturing.
- The house was owned by the major’s children until 1989, when the last family member of that generation, a daughter-in-law, sold it. A 1939 dispute over ownership had gone to court, with a son and daughter paying $3,500 to their two widowed half-sisters for the house. Three other siblings stayed out of it.
- [T]his late 19th century two-story L-shaped frame house has undergone a number of remodelings during its history, including application of asbestos siding.
- “A standing seam tin gable roof with returns covers the house, which has a three-bay facade with a small rectangular window bay on the first floor of the projecting northwest bay. Two-over-two windows have arched lintels and board and batten shutters, and a transom tops the entrance.
- “The one-story, hipped roof porch is supported by paired square wooden posts, and rebuilt brick chimneys rise through the roof ridge. Similar chimneys occur in the numerous one-story gable-roofed rear wings and ells.
- “The house stands well back from the street on a large corner lot with mature trees and shrubbery; a low stone retaining wall runs along the front property line.”
148bridge
148 Bridge Street, Milton, Caswell County
The Gordon-Brandon House
- $75,000
- 1,968 square feet, 1.7 acres
- Price/square foot: $13
- Built around 1850
- Last sale: $30,000, June 2022
- Neighborhood: Milton Historic District (NR)
- Note: According to the 2022 listing, the house “was purchased by an absentee owner in 2000 and suffered several years of neglect. Happily, it was recently purchased by a local preservationist who has enlisted Preservation NC’s assistance to find someone to purchase and restore it to its former elegance.” Now they’re looking for a new owner again.
- “The Gordon-Brandon House is an unusual example of a uniquely Milton house type: a modest-scale raised Greek Revival cottage consisting of a brick lower level and a wood frame upper level containing the main entrance and ornamentation. Located at the end of N. Bridge (‘Warehouse’) Street, the house is set near Country Line Creek on a secluded wooded lot entered through masonry gates. Nearby is the last remaining tobacco factory in Milton.”
- “Some rehabilitation work has been started on the property, including removal of rotten flooring to begin repair of the joists and repointing and repair of the south side chimney. A comprehensive rehabilitation is still needed, including rebuilding the two front bay windows, masonry repair/repointing, foundation and structural repair. The roof will need to be assessed and repaired accordingly.
- “Other needed repairs include new electrical, plumbing and HVAC systems, removal of wood paneling, repair/replacement of damaged plaster, and new bathrooms and kitchen.”
- The property is located in the Milton National Register Historic District and is eligible for tax credits.
- “The Gordon-Brandon House may have been built c.1850 by Field Gordon who owned a local saloon.” In 1948 it was purchased by James Hunter Brandon Jr. (1908-1964) and Annie Page Carter Brandon (1907-2000). Hunter owned Brandon Shell Service Station. Annie was a teacher.
725nmain
725 N. Main Street, Danville, Virginia
Sale pending July 30, 2026
- $75,000 (originally $180,000)
- 3 bedrooms, 2 1/2 bathrooms, 2,531 square feet, 0.21 acre
- Price/square foot: $30
- Built circa 1890 (see note)
- Listed November 24, 2025
- Last sale: $50,000, May 2018
- Neighborhood: North Danville Historic District (NR)
- Realtor hype: “located just minutes from the NEW casino”
- Note: City records show a 1928 construction date. The ca. 1890 date in the National Register nomination appears much more likely.
- No central air conditioning
- This very striking church is across the street. Originally the Shelton Memorial Presbyterian Church, built in 1889, it’s now the home of The Well Church.
- District NR nomination: “This is a two-story, brick, Queen Anne influenced dwelling with a brick foundation, cross gable asphalt shingle roof, and an interior brick chimney. The dwelling was constructed in a prow plan with a central projecting bay on the main façade. The bay has chamfered corners with corbelled brick.
- “Flanking this bay are one-story entry porches with hipped roofs, and milled posts, railing, brackets, and vergeboards. The main entrance contains an original single-light glass and three-panel wood door. Above the entrance is a single-light segmental arched transom.
- “Windows in the dwelling are original one-over-one double hung wood sash set in segmental arched wood frames with jack arches.
- “The house features a bracketed dentiled cornice and gable returns at the roofline. In the gable field of the main façade are paired multi-light fixed attic windows. At the rear is a shed roof addition with a brick pier foundation with later brick infill.”
- The earliest known owners may have been tobacco warehouse operator William Thomas Keeling (1845-1926) and Sallie E. Davis Keeling (1948-1928). Sallie’s obituary said her body had been taken “to the old home, 725 North Main Street.”
- William’s obituary (headline: “Respected, Well Known Man Dies”) said he had come to Danville in 1884 “and since that time has been been one of the most active and energetic tobacco men in this city. His splendid work has had much to do in making this city the large loose left tobacco market that it is today.”
- By 1934, Zachariah Frank Perkinson (1868-1944) and Anna Ellis Perkinson (1870-1951) lived at the address. Zachariah was general foreman of the local Southern Railway shops. They lived in the house for the rest of their lives. Their daughter Elizabeth Coleman Perkinson (1909-1990) continued to live there until at least 1970. Elizabeth was a dental assistant.
- The house was bought in 1974 by William Langston Blair (1928-2014) and Ruby Salmons Blair (1932-2020). They owned it for 43 years. William was a Postal Service worker and farmer. Ruby worked for 50 years in the design department of Dan River Mills. Ruby sold the house in 2017.
1611emeadow
1611 E. Meadow Road, Eden, Rockingham County
The Schilling House
Sale pending May 8, 2026
No longer under contract August 3, 2026
- $40,500 (originally $45,500)
- 5 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, 2,488 square feet, 0.35 acre
- Price/square foot: $16
- Built in 1906 (per county, or, more likely, about 10 years later; see note)
- Listed May 6, 2026
- Last sales: $5,000, May 2026; 1940, price not recorded on deed.
- Neighborhood: Draper
- Note: When A Tale of Three Cities was written in the 1980s and ’90s this was “one of the best preserved examples of the several two-story frame houses with the unusual gambrel-front form built in the late 1910s by Marshall Field and Company as private residences for its employees.”
- “It is unaltered on the exterior except for the application of replacement asphalt siding. All of these houses were constructed with the same sort of attached two-tiered porch, here with columns and match stick railing.”
- Field bought the local mills in 1912 from the family of founder John Motley Morehead (1796-1866). Apparently the Morehead family retained at least some of the surrounding land because in 1940 the house was sold by Morehead’s granddaughter Lily Connally Morehead Mebane (1869-1943).
- The buyers in 1940 were Joseph Haden Schilling (1876-1947) and Martha Elizabeth “Betty” West Schilling (1879-1959). Joseph was a retired coal miner from West Virginia. Although deeds and other documents have their name as Schillings, their gravestone reads Schilling.
- In May 2026, the house was sold by their grandchildren.
Stokes, Surry, Yadkin and Davie Counties
Stokes, Surry, Yadkin and Davie Counties
607kirby
607 Kirby Road, King, Stokes County
- $549,900 (originally $550,000)
- 2 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, 1,381 square feet, 2.17 acres
- Price/square foot: $398
- Built in 1910
- Two separate listings — May 19, 2026, and June 23, 2026
- Last sale: $800, August 1925
- Neighborhood: A 1961 deed says, “This property lies south of King, on the south side of Kirby Road (OLD DAN RIVER ROAD) one mile eastward from Five Points.”
- Note: The property has been owned by the Turner-Kirby family for about 136 years.
- There are two contradictory listings for the property.
- One calls the house “an iconic turn-of-the-century estate built in 1910 and rich with Southern charm. This historic town and county landmark showcases timeless architecture, inviting porches, and character rarely found today. … A true treasure waiting to be reimagined.”
- The other: “2.17 acres of commercial land in the heart of King, NC. (The house currently on the land has no value.)”
- Joseph E. Turner (1867-1953) bought two tracts in 1889 and 1890, both only vaguely described in deeds. Since those were the only properties that county records show hm owning, this property was likely part of one of them. Joseph was a farmer who lived in King his entire life.
- The house was built by either Joseph or his son Perry Boston Turner (1888-1935). In 1911 Joseph passed ownership of the property, then 8.65 acres, to Perry and his wife, Dora Alice Carroll Turner (1889-1971). Perry moved to Winston-Salem around 1920 and worked as a salesman.
- In 1925 Perry and Dora sold the house to his sister Doskey Turner Kirby (1891-1931) and her husband, Charlie Edgar Kirby (1880-1964). Charlie was a farmer and also worked for Southern Railway for 20 years. He served in the Army “during the Mexican Insurrection of 1911,” his obituary said.
- In 1961 Charlie passed ownership to daughter Blannie Bernice Kirby (1916-1999). The property is now being sold by her nieces and nephews (or their descendants), who may or may not have any sentimental attachment to the place.
313eking

313 E. King Street, King, Stokes County
Sale pending June 10 to August 4, 2023
Listing withdrawn May 11, 2024; relisted May 24, 2024
Listing withdrawn February 7, 2025
Relisted April 8, 2025
- $283,500 (originally $250,000, later $245,000)
- 3 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, 1,533 square feet, 1.0 acre
- Price/square foot: $185
- Built in 1934
- Listed May 10, 2023
- Last sale: $85,000, October 2013
1055ed
1055 Ed Booth Road, Moore’s Spring, Stokes County
- $175,000
- 1 acre
- Built circa 1900
- Listed June 3, 2026
- Last sales: $12,000, May 2018; $200, November 1937
- Neighborhood: Near the Moore’s Spring community, just off Moore’s Spring Road, about 5 miles west of Danbury and 15 miles southeast of Westfield. It has a Westfield mailing address.
- Note: The school may have been called Moore’s Spring School, since that’s the community it served. The two-room schoolhouse most likely was built around 1900. The school was closed by 1937, probably several years earlier as smaller community schools were combined into larger ones.
- Three sides of the property face Hanging Rock State Park.
- Stokes County Historic Inventory, 1989: “Judging from those which remain, many of the late nineteenth and early twentieth-century schools in the county were practical frame buildings with one or two rooms and little or no ornamentation. … The schools for white children in the county consolidated into fewer and larger structures during the 1920s and early 1930s. It was at this time that most, if not all, of the small frame schoolhouses ceased operation.”
215orchard
215 Orchard Street, Mount Airy, Surry County
Sale pending July 2, 2026
- $139,900 (originally $159,900)
- 4 bedrooms, 1 full bathroom and 2 half-bathrooms, 1,714 square feet, 0.44 acre
- Price/square foot: $82
- Built in 1900
- Listed June 4, 2026
- Last sale: $89,000, June 2013
- Neighborhood: Lebanon Hills Historic District (NR)
- District NR nomination: “Story-and-a-half house of weatherboard-sided frame construction with a composite-shingled hip roof containing the upper story. There are large hipped dormers with replacement windows on the front and east sides of the roof.
- “The front porch has slightly tapered square wood columns and a low paneled railing. The front wood sash windows, which flank the porch, are large and have a narrow sash above a larger squarish sash. The front entry has a wood and glass panel door with sidelights.
- “Other features include interior brick flues, a granite foundation, a semi-circular front walk, and a concrete tire strip driveway.”
- The earliest known owners were E.L. Akers and his wife Nancy Akers (dates unknown for both). They sold the house in 1922 to Isaiah Washington Worrell (1869-1963) and J.L. Akers, most likely Isaiah’s eldest son, James Lee Worrell (1895-1973). Isaiah was listed at the address in the 1928 city directory. He also was listed there when he died in 1963. Isaiah operated a produce business in Greensboro.
1691pine
1691 Pine Hall Road, Pine Hall, Stokes County
The Williamson-Mitchell House
Listing withdrawn February 2026
Relisted July 17, 2026
- $110,000
- 2 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, 1,014 square feet, 2.24 acres
- Price/square foot: $108
- Built in 1900
- Listed February 27, 2026
- Last sales: $80,000, May 2024; $25,000, July 2020
- Note: The house has seen significant increases in price while it has continued to deteriorate. The current listing contains no interior photos, but the 2024 listing showed that at least some of the interior was in relatively good shape.
- A railroad track runs along the back of the property. The old Pine Hall depot is three lots south of the property.
- The property includes a second, smaller and very dilapidated house.
- Immediately behind the house is an old street, Flossie Road, that now seems to be nothing more than a right-of-way to three neighboring properties with no direct street access (see GIS map above). None appear to have buildings on them; they appear to be owned separately by three members of one family. Further down the road at the old depot, a second right-of-way extends from the road to another of the three properties.
- The earliest known owners were Harry Hinton Williamson (1877-1954) and Mary Carr Chisman Williamson (1877-1963). Harry was born in Danville and attended the Bingham Institute in Asheville. He moved in 1918 to Pine Hall, where he operated a store. He served on the Stokes County school board and the boards of commissioners in Stokes and Rockingham counties.
- The Williamsons sold the property, then consisting of 5.35 acres, in 1925 to Albert Mitchell (1892-1953) and Flossie Mae Satterfield Mitchell (1898-1975). Their family owned it for 70 years. It was sold by the estate of their daughter Alice V. Mitchell (1922-1992) in 1995.
1315harmony
1315 Harmony Highway, Yadkin County
The Luther F. Miller House
- Online auction under way until Thursday August 27, 2026, 6 p.m.
- Public viewing was scheduled for Sunday August 16.
- Opening bid is $25,000
- 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms (per listing), 1,660 square feet, acre
- County records show 3 bedrooms and 1 bathroom.
- Built in 1940
- Listed August 4, 2026
- Last sales: $45,000, April 2026; $249,000, March 2020
- Neighborhood: Near the Lone Hickory community, about 5.5 miles southeast of Hamptonville and 9.6 miles southwest of Yadkinville. The property has a Hamptonville mailing address.
- Note: The property appears to be a 2-acre piece of a 51-acre tract.
- “The home has been vacant for several years, currently has no electrical service, and is in poor condition. It will require a complete renovation or may be best suited for demolition and redevelopment. The well is believed to be functional but has not been confirmed due to no electrical service. The septic system is in unknown condition and Yadkin County has no septic permit records available.”
- The history of the house is a subject for further research. The State Historic Preservation Office associates the home with Luther F. Miller (1856-1926). County records give the date of the house as 1940, suggesting that either the county’s date of the house is off by many years or there was another Luther F. Miller who was significantly younger than the one who died in 1926.
- “The deceased was one of the substantial and progressive men of his community and had in many ways, especially in the matter of education, given his influence and ability unstintingly for the benefit of his section,” the Winston-Salem Journal wrote in Luther’s obituary.
314virginia
314 Virginia Drive, Yadkinville, Yadkin County
The L.D. Kelly House
- Auction scheduled for Tuesday, September 1, 2026, 11:30 a.m., online and in person at the Yadkin County Courthouse, Yadkinville.
- 3 bedrooms, 3 1/2 bathrooms (per county), 2,626 square feet, 0.65 acre
- Built in 1940 per county records, but the house looks older.
- Last sale: $29,500, June 1977
- Note: County records list a swimming pool and a pole shed on the property. Whether they’re still there is unknown.
- The State Historic Preservation Office identifies it as the L.D. Kelly House. That designation most likely refers to Leonard Davis Kelly III (1873-1937), although if the house was built in 1940, he never lived there. He was a rural mail carrier.
- The house was rented ($75/month) from 1966 to 1968 by the Yadkin Baptist Association as a home for Rev. James Clarence Shore (1913-1994) and his family. Rev. Shore had served in several capacities since 1931; he was then the association’s missionary director.
- It was bought in 1977 by Wesley Dewitt Tuttle (1945-2019) and Joyce J. Tuttle. Wesley was a veteran of the Vietnam War. He worked for Roadway Express and later as pastor of Faith Chapel Church.
2001courtney
2001 Courtney Huntsville Road, Yadkin County
- Auction ended. Status unknown — the bank may accept the offer or put it up for auction again.
- 3 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, 2,796 square feet, 1.16 acres
- Built in 1865
- Listed April 9, 2026
- Last sale: $59,520, December 2025 (foreclosure)
- Neighborhood: About 6 miles south of Yadkinville.
- Note: “This is a CASH ONLY transaction.”
Davidson, Randolph and Montgomery Counties
Davidson, Randolph, Montgomery and Neighboring Counties
396pee
396 Pee Dee Church Road, Richmond County
Pee Dee Presbyterian Church
- $159,500 (originally $231,800)
- 1 bedroom, 1 bathroom, 1,800 square feet, 2.38 acres
- Price/square foot: $89
- Built in 1901 (per county)
- Listed June 5, 2025
- Last sale: $165,000, February 2021
- Neighborhood: The property has a Mount Gilead mailing address but is located across the county line in Richmond County, about 6 1/2 miles southeast of Mount Gilead and 20 miles northwest of Rockingham.
- Online listings mistakenly show it as being in Montgomery County.
- Note: An incomplete effort to convert the church into a residence has a long way to go.
- Bank-owned property
- Listing: “Heating and cooling units have been vandalized and not operational.”
- An online source dated 2020 says a sign at the church gives 1858 as the date of the church’s organization. In its early days, the church apparently shared a minister with First Presbyterian in Mount Gilead and Bisco Presbyterian in Biscoe. A previous Pee Dee Presbyterian Church was built near Mount Gilead around 1840; it’s no longer standing.
- A 2011 tour of historic churches in the lower Pee Dee River valley included Pee Dee Presbyterian. The Pee Dee congregation was merged into First Presbyterian in Mount Gilead in 2018. We thank Sam Martin of the North Carolina Presbyterian Historical Society for providing information on the history of the church.
410high

410 High Point Street, Randleman, Randolph County
The Hayworth-Floyd House
Sale pending April 27 to May 6, 2026
Sale pending June 7, 2026
- $65,000 (originally $110,000)
- 4 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, 1,542 square feet, 0.28 acre
- Price/square foot: $42
- Built in 1890
- Listed February 13, 2026
- Last sale: $22,000, February 1996
- Note: No interior photos are included in online listings.
- A “triple-A” house with a side-gable roof and a third gable centered on the front elevation over a full-width front porch.
- John Elwood Hayworth (1849-1919) bought the property from Randleman Manufacturing Company in 1885. He sold the house in 1896 and moved to Chestnut Hill in Rowan County, where he became a prominent merchant.
- James Oliver PIckard Sr. (1844-1900) bought the house in 1896. “Colonel” Pickard was superintendent of Randleman Mills. His sudden death at age 55 was reported across the state. “He had been in good health until a few minutes before his death, which was caused by apoplexy,” The Charlotte Observer reported. “He had just returned from the mill and was at the supper table when the summons came.”
- After the Colonel’s death, Alsa Monroe Floyd (1873-1942) and Allie Magnolia Prevost Floyd (1877-1950) bought the house in 1900. It remained in their family for 96 years.
- Alsa worked for Deep River Mills for more than 45 years. He served on the Randleman city council and Randleman school board. He was a charter member of the local Junior Order. He also served for 30 years as superintendent of the Sunday school at St. Paul’s Methodist Episcopal Church.
- Ownership passed to their daughter Hazel Floyd (1901-1990), an employee of the Internal Revenue Service, and then to her niece Sue Floyd Farlow (1949-2021), who taught English at Asheboro High School for 30 years. Sue sold the house in 1996.



















































































































































































































































































































