Updated September 30, 2022
Piedmont Triad Region
228 Holt Road, Haw River, Alamance County
The Charles T. Holt House
- $2.4 million
- 5 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 4,454 square feet, 21.10 acres (per county)
- Price/square foot: $539
- Built in 1897
- Listed July 18, 2022
- Last sale: $650,000, October 2007
- Note: A second home on the property dates to 1905 and has 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and 2,431 square feet.
- The property also includes a pond, a barn and a two-car garage with additional upstairs and downstairs rooms.
- County records show 5,653 square feet as the “finished area” of the house, which may be larger than the “heated area” typically listed.
- The listing shows 23 acres.
- The house has a Graham mailing address but is in Haw River.
- NRHP nomination: “The Charles T. Holt House, the most ornate nineteenth century mansion in Alamance County, is located in the town of Haw River overlooking the Granite Mills complex, on twenty-five acres of lawn, grazing pasture, and farm land.
- “The large Queen Anne dwelling and its six outbuildings were constructed in 1897 for textile businessman Charles T. Holt, the son of Thomas Holt, governor of North Carolina, and his wife, Gena Jones Holt, the daughter of Thomas Goode Jones, governor of Alabama.
- “The elaborate style and asymmetrical composition of this well-preserved two-and-a- half story Queen Anne house serves as a classic example of the form, devices and motives employed by late-nineteenth century high-style builders. Peaks, turrets and decorative chimney stacks project in the irregular manner of the fashionable Queen Anne architecture of the 1880s and 1890s.
- “Also characteristic of the superior examples of the Queen Anne style, the elevations are sheathed with a variety of materials including wood, slate, brick and stone. The exterior is richly decorated with intricate woodwork and bayed gable end projections, porches and pedimented gable ends.”
- $1.549 million (originally $1.795 million)
- 6 bedrooms, 9 bathrooms, 6,700 square feet, 0.54 acre
- Price/square foot: $231
- Built in 1909
- Listed March 8, 2022
- Last sale: $625,000, June 2016
- Neighborhood: Westerwood
- Listing: “This is a turnkey business sale with all furnishings, fixtures and equipment included.”
- NRHP nomination: “The dominant exterior feature of the Martin residence is the broad front porch with Tuscan columns and a turned balustrade which carries across the full facade and the forward bays of each side elevation. The centerpiece of the porch — and of the entire house — is the bowed, two-story portico supported by four fluted Ionic columns with large terra cotta capitals. The portico shelters a bowed, second story balcony with a turned balustrade.”
- “A handsome retaining wall of Mt. Airy granite, whose materials match those of the foundation, lines Mendenhall Street in front of the residence. An early photograph of the house does not show this wall, which was probably added during the 1920s when the grade of Mendenhall Street was lowered to meet the newly created Madison (now Friendly) Avenue to the south.
- “Completed in early 1909, the Harden Thomas Martin House is one of a handful of early Colonial Revival style residences surviving in the city of Greensboro.
- “Designed by Greensboro architect G. Will Armfield, the house features a bowed, two-story, Ionic portico and an exceptionally generous center hall with a grand split-run stair. The house’s interior trim – including a handsome first-floor portal and eight mantels – remains completely intact.
- “The house is the only known residential design of Armfield (1848-1927), a Guilford County native who pursued a successful career as a dry goods merchant before taking up architecture in his late 50’s.
- “The house was built for Harden Thomas Martin (1857-1936) a native of Rockingham County who operated stores in the communities of Ayersville and Reidsville before moving to Greensboro in 1909, where he entered semi-retirement and engaged in small-scale real estate development.”
- The NCSU Architects and Builders directory: “When North Carolina passed an architectural practice act and began the formal registration of architects, G. Will Armfield of Greensboro was granted certificate #1 on May 15, 1915. He was one of a large number of men who were certified based on having already been in practice prior to 1915. The Armfield Family Newsletter stated that his son Joseph joined him in architectural practice, and G. Will Armfield continued in that line of work as late as 1924.
- “Armfield gained a number of substantial commissions, of which the best known is the large, classically inspired Alumni Hall (1914) at the Oak Ridge Institute in the village of Oak Ridge in Guilford County. He also undertook commercial and residential buildings in Greensboro. One of the few that have been identified as standing is the large, Southern Colonial-style residence Harden Thomas Martin House of 1909, built on Mendenhall Street in Greensboro as a retirement residence for Reidsville merchant Martin. The Manufacturers’ Record of July 23, 1908, noted that Armfield was building the house for Martin. Armfield’s blueprints for the house remained with the house and are now in the Special Collections Research Center at NCSU Libraries.”
- Note: County records shows the size of the house as 4,973 square feet, which may not reflect recent work that restored the third floor. They also show the date as 1910.
3550 Middlebrook Drive, Clemmons, Forsyth County
The Philip and Johanna Hoehns (Hanes) House
Blog post — The 1798 Philip and Johanna Hoehns House: In Forsyth County, They Don’t Come Much More Historic Than This
listing expired October 17, 2020; relisted January 6, 2021
listing withdrawn April 11, 2022; relisted April 19, 2022
listing withdrawn June 21, 2022
relisted September 2, 2022
- $1.395 million (originally $1.95 million)
- 5 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms, 2,839 square feet, 8.26 acres
- Price/square foot: $491
- Built in 1798 (per NRHP nomination)
- Listed August 12, 2020
- Last sale: $275,000, February 2014
- Note: The house was built by the Hanes family’s first ancestor in Forsyth County.
- NRHP nomination: “In the late 1940s, the interior of the house was remodeled according to plans prepared by Winston-Salem architect William Roy Wallace. When the present owners renovated the house in 2014-2015, they restored some of the original features based on physical evidence, retained some of the 1940s features when there was no evidence of earlier treatments, and made a few changes based on personal taste. …
- “Even with the alterations of the 1940s and 2014-2015, the house still strongly projects the feeling of a substantial and sophisticated dwelling from the turn of the nineteenth century in Forsyth County.”
- The 2014-15 renovation included the construction of a one-story addition behind the house, connected to the original structure by a hallway.
- “Although large, the one-story frame addition was designed and built to be as sensitive as possible to the historic character of the original house and to have the least impact on it. Among other things, the addition housed a new kitchen and two bathrooms, so that these facilities did not interrupt the original fabric of the house.” (NRHP nomination)
- The property is subject to a historic preservation and conservation covenant held by Preservation North Carolina.
1602 Richardson Drive, Reidsville, Rockingham County
The Robert Payne Richardson House II
sale pending September 26, 2022
- 4 bedrooms, 3 1/2 bathrooms, 4,901 square feet (per county), 4 acres
- Price/square foot: $101
- Built in 1860
- Listed September 20, 2022
- Last sale: $130,000, July 1992
- Neighborhood: Richardson Houses Historic District
- Note: One of three houses in the Richardson Houses Historic District
- The listing shows only 4,800 square feet.
- NRHP nomination: “The Robert Payne Richardson Houses Historic District, on the outskirts of Reidsville, North Carolina, is significant in the history of the town and the state as an outstanding example of a plantation complex chronicling the rise and decline in the fortunes of a family and a community over a period of nearly one hundred and fifty years. The associated buildings, including three principal houses and an important group of surviving domestic and farm-related outbuildings, combine to present a graphic picture of the development of the plantation complex through the continuous occupation of one family from the early 1840s to the present [i.e., 1986], although the majority of buildings were built prior to 1930.
- “Built about 1842, the first house, a modest, hall-and-parlor plan Greek Revival
structure, is probably the oldest house surviving in Reidsville and predates by some thirty years the incorporation of the town. Its builder, Robert Payne Richardson, Sr. (1820-1909), who was only twenty-two at the time, became a prominent plantation owner, merchant and tobacco manufacturer in the second half of the nineteenth century.
- “The more substantial structure that he added to the earlier house about 1860 reflects the steady rise in.his fortunes. The Italianate elements incorporated in the basically Greek Revival house anticipated the strong popularity of the Italianate style for substantial Reidsville residences in the quarter century following the Civil War. Richardson continued to live in the large, two-period house until his death in 1909.”
- “The Robert Payne Richardson Houses Historic District consists of a complex of twenty-two buildings and structures sited on approximately thirty acres of land located some one and one-half miles southwest of the center of Reidsville in Rockingham County. Standing on sites elevated above the surrounding countryside are the three principal buildings in the district, the Robert Payne Richardson House I (ca. 1842), the Robert Payne Richardson House II (ca. 1860), and the Robert Payne Richardson House III, Belmont (1912).
- “The houses are accompanied by a variety of outbuildings, both domestic and farm-related, on the three separate tracts comprising the district — the eleven-acre House I tract, the five-acre House II tract, and the fourteen-acre Belmont tract. These tracts are only a small portion of the more than 1600 acres which made up the Richardson plantation in its heyday.
- “Although the surviving farm buildings attest to the once-significant farming operation, the acreage which remains associated with the houses now consists of woodland (behind and to the west of all three houses), terraced lawns (around the Robert Payne Richardson Houses II and III), and fallow fields (around the Robert Payne Richardson House I ). …
- “It is believed that the house built by Robert Payne Richardson Sr. in the early 1840s originally stood on the site now occupied by Belmont, built by his son in 1912. This appears likely since the Belmont site is clearly the most commanding of the three on which the Richardson houses stand. Tradition also holds that the second house built by Richardson was joined to the first house, either directly or by a breezeway, and that the two were separated and moved to their present locations to the northeast and southwest of Belmont when the latter was constructed.”
- “Built about 1842, the first house, a modest, hall-and-parlor plan Greek Revival
1939 N.C. Highway 57 N., Milton, Caswell County
Woodside, the Caleb Hazard Richmond House
National Register of Historic Places
Blog post — Woodside: An 1838 Mansion in Caswell County on the National Register, $595,000
- $475,000 (originally $595,000)
- 5 bedrooms, 5 1/2 bathrooms, 4,400 square feet, 5 acres
- Price/square foot: $108
- Built in 1838
- Listed January 19, 2022
- Last sale: $75,000, December 2021
- Note: The property is under protective easements held by the Historic Preservation Fund of North Carolina.
- Woodside had fallen into serious disrepair by the time it was nominated for the National Register. In the 1990s, it was restored as a bed and breakfast and restaurant, which operated as recently as three years ago.
- The house is about two miles southeast of Milton.
- Listing: “Thomas Day Staircase.” News & Record, April 18, 1995: “Woodside is filled with beautifully executed woodwork attributed to Thomas Day, Milton’s free black craftsman. A fine example of the workmanship is the mahogany staircase railing which ends in a nautilus-shaped swirl.”
- National Register nomination: “Woodside, the home of Caleb Hazard Richmond in northeastern Caswell County, is a splendid … example of Greek Revival residential architecture produced during the county’s ‘Boom Era’ in the middle decades of the 19th century.
- “Standing on its elevated site some 2 miles east of the small town of Milton, Woodside overlooks the surrounding countryside that produced the bright-leaf tobacco which was the mainstay of the county’s economy during that boom period. …
- “The large house was once the seat of a plantation consisting of 350 acres and was probably built in the late 1830s, shortly after Richmond married his second wife, Mary R. Dodson, and within a few years after he had made his first land purchase in the county.
- “Although only 5 of those 350 acres are now associated with the house and only one of the numerous outbuildings which supported the household survives, Woodside remains as a vivid reminder of the prosperity which characterized the county during the period from the late 1830s until the Civil War.”
- “Typical of the substantial houses constructed in the county during the period, Woodside is a large dwelling of simple vernacular form finished with well-executed pattern-book Greek Revival details.
- “The fine interior woodwork, including the distinctive scrolled staircase newel and bowed parlor mantel flanked by niches, is attributed to Thomas Day. Day was a superior craftsman and free black who operated a furniture-making shop in nearby Milton and is credited with creating many of the county’s finest interiors during the ‘Boom Era.’
- “It was at Woodside that the Confederate officer (later general) Dodson Ramseur met, courted and married (1863) Ellen Richmond, daughter of Caleb.” Dodson and the soon-to-be-widowed Ellen were cousins.
- Dodson was from Lincolnton. Although much is made of his connection to the house, he stayed there only briefly during the war, including some months while recovering from wounds. A roadside plaque on the property is devoted to him, put up by the Daughters of the Confederacy and the “Military Order of Stars and Bars.”
- A laudatory article on Dodson in America’s Civil War magazine recounts his “conspicuous gallantry,” “magnetic leadership” and victories in battle but also notes his “unaccountable lapses,” staggering numbers of his troops being “slaughtered,” poor decisions, mistakes, and rashness. He ultimately died as a prisoner of Union generals Sheridan and Custer after after attracting heavy fire as one of the conspicuously few men on horseback during an October 1864 battle in the Shenandoah Valley. His only child, Mary, had been born four days earlier.
- The Caswell County Historical Society relates the sad consequences for his family: “Ellen Ramseur never remarried and wore black mourning clothing for the rest of her life. She remained with her family in Caswell County until she died in 1900 at the age of fifty-nine. Mary Ramseur never married and died at the age of seventy-one in 1935.”
- Curiously, the civil-war magazine article says, one Dodson’s best friends at West Point had been the same George Armstrong Custer, who ultimately took Dodson prisoner and eventually outperformed Dodson as an author of battlefield catastrophe. “Stephen Dodson Ramseur and George Armstrong Custer were just about as unlike as any two cadets who had ever attended the U.S. Military Academy. Custer, nicknamed Fanny by his fellow cadets, was tall, blond and voluble. A poor but popular student, he chafed at the restrictions and rules at West Point.
- “Ramseur, on the other hand, was a small, darkly handsome young man whose natural reserve hid an underlying strength of purpose. While not an outstanding student, he applied himself well enough to finish in the top third of the class, and his leadership skills made him captain of cadets.
- “Deeply religious, he was also a staunch Southerner who, since a Yankee had ruined his father in a business deal, had little use for anyone from the scheming, cold-hearted North. He politely defended states’ rights and the institution of slavery, which he called the very foundation of our existence.
- “Yet the two cadets had become friends, for they did have more than a few things in common. Both were superb athletes, especially on horseback. And although Ramseur was very religious, he was not an insufferable Puritan like some of the New Englanders, and certainly was not too good to enjoy a joke, a drink or a twist of tobacco.
- “In short, he was a boon companion and as such was willing to accept Custer, Merritt [a future Union general and cavalry commander] and a few others from his general dislike of Northerners. Wes Merritt thought him one of the most universally beloved men in the class.”
204 E. Railroad Avenue, Gibsonville, Guilford County
The Francis Marion Smith House
- $400,000 (originally $475,000)
- 4 bedrooms, 2 1/2 bathrooms, 3,536 square feet, 1.12 acres (per county)
- Price/square foot: $113
- Built in 1898
- Listed June 9, 2022
- Last sale: $143,500, August 1989
- Note: County records show the square footage as 1,921, which looks way off.
- The property includes a storage building and a gazebo.
- NRHP nomination: “The Francis Marion Smith House, erected in 1898, is the most stylish and impressive residence in Gibsonville surviving from the 1890-1910 period that witnessed the town’s major growth.
- “The two-and-a-half-story frame house combines elements of the Colonial Revival and Queen Anne styles, including an elaborate program of classical trim and turned ornament.
- “It is one of three notable late nineteenth and early twentieth residences associated with the Whitsett Institute, a boarding secondary school and junior college in the Whitsett community near Gibsonville. The three houses (one of which has already been listed in the National Register) are among the finest houses combining Colonial Revival and Queen Anne style elements in eastern Guilford County.
- “Francis Marion Smith [1864-1910] was a farmer, businessman, and civic official in and around Gibsonville. His wife, Lizzie E. Whitsett [1869-1922], taught at the Whitsett Institute both before and after her marriage.”
- Lizzie’s brother was the renowned William Thornton Whitsett, founder of the institute. The 1883 mansion of their father, Joseph Bason Whitsett, is now under contract to be sold; the listed price is $1.3 million. The property, located on U.S. 70 just east of Whitsett, includes 11 acres of land.
- The Smith house remained in the Smith-Whitsett family until 1976. Lizzie bequeathed the house to her sister, Effie Whisett Joyner (1877-1976). After her death, the house was sold for $20,000 to Jerry Nix, who has restored several historic properties in Gibsonville. Nix sold it to the current owners in 1989.
Not Too Far Away
270 Vass-Carthage Road, Vass, Moore County
Maple Lawn, The Leslie-Taylor House
- 5 bedrooms, 3 1/2 bathrooms, 4,844 square feet, 4.7 acres
- Price/square foot: $165
- Built in 1879
- Listed March 15, 2022
- Last sale: Circa 1871, part of a 1,000-acre tract, price not known
- Listing: “Outbuildings include buggy/carriage house, seven sided smokehouse (40 hogs), three car detached garage with apartment.”
- NRHP nomination: “The Leslie-Taylor House is a three-story, double-pile, frame house located on the north side of Carthage Road in Vass, Moore County, North Carolina. The house is set well back from the road and is pristine in its rural setting.
- “The land surrounding the house is owned by the descendants of the Leslie-Taylor family and encompasses approximately one thousand acres total. The land included in this nomination is approximately eleven acres immediately surrounding the house and contributing outbuildings.
- “In its overall form and elaborate detailing the house, built around 1879, is the most finely ornamented example of Victorian Eclecticism in Moore County. R15ear additions were built in the 1950s but do not detract from the magnificence of this home. The main house as well as its contemporary smokehouse and carriage house all maintain a high degree of integrity with respect to location, setting, design, workmanship, feeling, and association.
- “The property has remained in the possession of the original owners, descendants who have been constant stewards of this architectural landmark. …
- “The Leslie-Taylor House meets Criterion C for architecture due to its local architectural significance as one of the fullest examples of Victorian Eclecticism in Moore County. The style is characterized by steeply pitched gable roofs, full-width porches, decorated bargeboards, cross-bracing, bay windows, drip mold window crowns, and brackets. The Leslie-Taylor House, built around 1879 for local physician Dr. James Addison Leslie, exhibits all of these elements in a single picturesque composition. The house maintains a high degree of integrity with respect to location, design, materials, workmanship, setting and association. The house and surrounding outbuildings represent an intact representation of a late-nineteenth century home and its necessary buildings in North Carolina.”
- James Addison Leslie (1843-1918) was born in Holly Springs in Wake County. He was a Civil War veteran and graduate of the University of Virginia and medical school in Pennsylvania. He married Annie Maria McNeil (1847-1914) in 1871. “Family tradition says that Dr. Leslie acquired the thousand acre tract from a cousin of his bride, a McKeithan. The two moved with three children to Vass in 1878 and began building their home, to be known as ‘Maple Lawn.’ …
- “Dr. Leslie continued his medical practice out of his home and operated the farm and lumber business until his death in 1918. He is listed in the 1880, 1900, and 1910 Federal Census as a farmer and merchant rather than a physician. The Leslies’ second daughter, [Lillie Leslie Taylor, 1875-1921], married Frederick Whiteside Taylor [1876-1970] in 1905 and lived at Maple Lawn. In addition to maintaining the house, farm, and family lumber business, Mr. Taylor began a dairy in 1926, marked by the construction of a large barn on the property.
- “Their son, Frederick Leslie Taylor [1906-1977], was born at Maple Lawn and maintained it as his home. He became President of Troy Lumber Company, the family lumber company, as well as Chairman of the Board of Trustees of Campbell College near Buies Creek in Harnett County.
- “In the mid-twentieth century the dairy ceased operation and the barn was used for horses until 1963-1964 when it became home to the Moore County Humane Society.
- “The family has continued to farm and timber this land throughout its history. Mr. Taylor’s widow, [Lily Alliene Fresh Taylor, b. 1910], passed away in 2005, leaving Maple Lawn to her children, Frederick H. Taylor, Anthea Taylor Tate, and Leslie Taylor Whitesell, the present owners of the property.”
608 Vance Street, Reidsville, Rockingham County
Villa Fortuna, aka The Jennings-Baker House
Jennings-Baker House NRHP
Blog post — Villa Fortuna: An Eclectic 1888 National Register Property in Reidsville, $99,900
listing withdrawn and relisted repeatedly since 2019
contract pending June 26-27, 2020
contract pending November 7 to December 4, 2021
listing withdrawn January 29, 2022; relisted June 27, 2022
listing withdrawn September 24, 2022
- $200,000 (previously as low as $99,900)
- 3 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, 2,188 square feet, 0.5 acre
- Price/square foot: $91
- Built in the late 1880s, per NRHP nomination
- Listed February 26, 2019
- Last sale: $25,000, June 2011
- Note: For sale by owner
- Listing: “the perfect blend of unpretentious elegance and a rustic urban farm.”
- “This house is for someone with vision, passion and some skills would be handy.”
- “The 30’x32, steel frame greenhouse has a block base. There is a 8’x12′ barn used for my goats. It is Amish made with a metal roof and 2 lofts. The woodshed is 3′ deep x 13′ long. There is an addition not included in the square footage. It includes a sun room, a pantry, and mud room off the driveway.”
- Answering the most obvious question: “YES there is a urinal on the wall in the purple bedroom. The last owner put it there it is no longer hooked up.”
- Previous listing: “The facing came off the back of the second story and squirrels got in and damaged the wiring in the ceiling of the purple bed room. All 22 windows need to be replaced [Editor’s note: or, better yet, repaired].”
- NRHP nomination (1986): “… a distinctive example of a vernacular use of elements of the Gothic Revival and Italianate styles of architecture popular in the mid nineteenth century.”
- The first owner and probable builder of the house was William G. Jennings, a brick manufacturer.
- “Only six brick houses dating from the years prior to 1890 are known to survive in the city, and it is unlikely that any substantial number more were built. Of these six, five can be described as in the Italianate style or exhibiting Italianate influence. … The Jennings-Baker House is a much more vernacular and personal expression of Victorian tastes, as it combines elements of several styles. The triangular patterned brickwork above windows and doors on the facade have a vaguely Gothic flavor, while the segmental arch openings on the side and rear elevations and in the ell … are typical of masonry construction of the period. The facade’s projecting bays and porch suggest the influence of architecture predominantly found at military institutions, while the corbel table on the facade and the parapeted side elevations of the main block are reminiscent of commercial architecture in the late nineteenth century.”
- “This combination of elements strengthens the possibility that Jennings may have intended his house as a sort of advertisement for what was then a young enterprise, exhibiting the products of his brick yard and demonstrating the masonry skills of his workers.”
- If you’re a traveler from the East, the lodge meets next door.
1097 Healing Springs Road East, Crumpler, Ashe County
The Cabins at Healing Springs
National Register of Historic Places
listing withdrawn on or before July 10, 2022
- $1.7 million
- 16 bedrooms, 17 bathrooms, 6,276 square feet, 11.32 acres
- Price/square foot: $271
- Some of the cabins were built in the early 20th century; the rest are ca. 1920.
- Listed November 29, 2021
- Note: The number of buildings isn’t specified in the listing. The county’s GIS website appears to show six.
- Listing: “The historic Healing Spring was discovered in 1884 and was originally called Thompson’s Bromine and Arsenic Springs. The property was then known as Healing Springs Resort in later years and now simply called The Cabins at Healing Springs.
- “Many of the cabins are the original cabins that were built in the early 1900’s. … [While the cabins] may look rustic on the outside, they have sympathetically been remodeled each cabin to highlight the original historical features. … There is a range of cabin sizes to choose from.”
- NRHP nomination: “The discovery of the mineral waters in Ashe County, which tradition holds to have been in 1885 by Willie Barker, opened the way for Captain H.V. Thompson of Washington County, Virginia, to develop this into a widely advertised and highly popular resort.
- “The mineral spring spas of the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries were not only centers for rejuvenating health, but were the most popular social centers. Thompson’s Bromine and Arsenic Springs is a good representative of a segment of our social heritage, of which only a few survive.”
- 8 bedrooms, 7 bathrooms, 5,869 square feet, 1.4 acres
- Price/square foot: $136
- Built in 1874 (see note below)
- Listed November 9, 2019
- Last sale: $37,000, April 1984
- Note: The current real-estate listings for the house show 1840 as its date. The National Register nomination says 1874; county records show 1900, which seems the least likely.
- The house has been in the Hull-Daniel family for 115 years.
- NRHP nomination: “The James Heyward Hull House [is] an excellent example of a 1907 Neoclassical Revival style dwelling in Shelby, one of several built at the turn of the century by some of Shelby’s most prominent residents. The large two-story house was originally built ca. 1874 in the Italianate style for Methodist minister Hilary T. Hudson. James Heyward Hull, a cotton broker, bought the house in 1907 and had it transformed into a Neoclassical Revival style house by adding a monumental portico, flanking wings, an ornate deck-on-hip roof, and completely redoing the interior.”
- “The residential Neoclassical Revival style was a monumental version of classical elements that became very popular among wealthy industrialists in North Carolina during the bustling “New South” era of the early twentieth century. Also known as ‘Southern Colonial,’ the principal feature was a colossal central portico with one-story porches extending out to the sides. Other characteristic elements of the style were the two-story massing and richly detailed classical columns, entrances, and eaves. The popularity of the style caused it to be chosen as the form for the North Carolina Building at the 1907 Jamestown Tercentennial Exposition in Norfolk, Virginia. The style came to be associated with the ‘new’ southern aristocracy, the cotton mill owners, cotton brokers, and cotton planters.” (footnote in original: “Bishir, Catherine W. North Carolina Architecture. Chapel Hill, North Carolina: University of North Carolina Press, 1990, pp. 420-423″)