Best of 2022
Best of 2020
Best of 2019
Best of 2017-2018
284 S. Main Street, Mocksville, Davie County
First Davie County Jail
Davie County Jail NRHP
Blog post — The 1839 Davie County Jail: A National Register Property in Mocksville Is For Sale in an Online Auction
- Sold for $402,000 on December 22, 2021 (originally listed at $620,000)
- 2 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, 1,752 square feet (jail only), 0.53 acres
- Price/square foot: $229
- Built in 1839
- Listed January 29, 2015
- Last sale: $650,000, April 2001
- Note: The property includes the old jail and a guesthouse. The property is being marketed as residential or commercial. It has been used as an office for many years.
- NRHP nomination: “The Davie County Jail is of considerable local significance, for its history parallels that of the county since its founding. The sturdy, well-maintained building with its handsome Flemish bond brickwork is an important Mocksville landmark.
- “Davie County was formed in 1836 from Rowan County with court being held in Mocksville, the county seat, the next year. The jail was probably completed in 1839, the same year Mocksville was incorporated. The November 1839, court session held in Mocksville ordered
- “‘that Henry R. Austin procure locks of the best and most substantial construction for the Jail of Davie County and that he fix them to the doors, in the proper manner. … and that Thomas McNeely and Lemuel Bingham act as Commissioners to let out the building of a kitchen and smoke house on the jail lot according to plans to be furnished by the court.’
- “Henry R. Austin was the architect-builder of the Davie County Jail as well as the courthouse (now destroyed). Both buildings were built under a single contract at a cost of about $40,000 which was raised by a bond issue.
- “The jail served the county in its original capacity until 1909 when the board of commissioners bought part of the Davie Hotel lot from Gaston E. Horn as a site for the new jail The price paid was $4,000, and Mr. Horn accepted the old jail and lot, allowing the county $1,500 for the exchange.
- “The property, which became a private residence, was owned by Mr and Mrs. Lonnie S Korfels during much of the twentieth century (1927-1968) and was purchased by Hugh S. Larew in 1969. He has restored the exterior and first floor and renovated the second floor as a residence.”
- Sold for $1.75 million on December 14, 2021 (originally $2.2 million)
- 5 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms, 2 half-bathrooms, 6,645 square feet, 0.61 acre
- Price/square foot: $263
- Built in 2017
- Listed October 29, 2019
- Last sale: $370,000, July 2015 (lot only)
- Neighborhood: Hamilton Lakes
- Note: Designed by Adam Sebastian of STITCH Design Group and built by Gary Jobe
- On Starmount Country Club Golf Course
302 Cherry Street, Mount Airy, Surry County
The Dr. Edward C. Ashby House
- Sold for $615,000 on November 10, 2021 (originally $725,000)
- 5 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms and 2 half-baths, 4,782 square feet, 0.74 acre
- Price/square foot: $129
- Built in 1937
- Listed July 25, 2020
- Last sale: $425,000, April 2009
- Neighborhood: Mount Airy Historic District (NRHP)
- Listing: “Grand entry with spiral staircase, granite countertops, original lifetime slate roof, copper gutters. Finished attic. Original smokehouse on property with a mature English garden. The Dr. Edward C. Ashby house has undergone significant rehabilitation since 2009 to restore the home to its proper condition and to upgrade the home to current living standards.”
- District NRHP nomination: “During the 1930s more academic versions of the Colonial Revival style were constructed reflecting Colonial Georgian and Federal periods. The district’s most outstanding example of this style is probably the Edward C. Ashby House at 302 Cherry Street (#220).
- Designed by the Winston-Salem architectural firm of Northup and O’Brien, the c. 1930 two-story brick house is five bays wide, has a steep slate-clad gable roof with paired interior end chimneys, round-arched dormers, a denticulated cornice, segmental-arched first story windows, and a handsome Classical entrance with dentiled pediment, Doric columns, and a round-arched transom.
- “The interior has a graceful curved, Federal style staircase and both Georgian and Federal styles are represented in the trim and mantelpieces.”
- Protective covenants are held by the Historic Preservation Foundation of North Carolina.
- Dr. Edward Clayton Ashby (1890-1957) was a physician and surgeon at Martin Memorial Hospital. He and Sara Belle Cabaniss Ashby (1892-1978) were married in 1917.
502 W. Allenton Street, Mount Gilead, Montgomery County
The Scarborough House
- Sold for $60,000 on November 9, 2021 (originally $150,000)
- 2 bedrooms, 1 1/2 bathrooms, 2,840 square feet, 3.77 acres (all per county records)
- Price/square foot: $21
- Built in 1892
- Listed August 4, 2021
- Last sale: $45,000, November 2020
- Note: The for-sale listing shows 5 bedrooms, only 1 bathroom and 3,992 square feet, all at odds with county records (which is not to say necessarily that the for-sale listings are wrong). The 2020 for-sale listings showed 2 bedrooms, 1 1/2 bathrooms, and 2,692 square feet.
- The house, outbuildings and the 3.77-acre lot are subject to preservation covenants held by the Historic Preservation Foundation of North Carolina.
- From the 2020 listing: The property includes five outbuildings — well house, smokehouse, barn, corn crib and 1920s garage (Frankie Scarborough was one of the first car owners in Mount Gilead).
- Also: “The Scarborough House needs structural repairs to the rear hall floor and ceiling caused by a roof leak (recently dried-in), and porch repairs, removal of old ceiling tiles and carpeting, plus updates to the kitchen, baths, and mechanical systems.”
529 W. Allenton Street, Mount Gilead, Montgomery County
Mount Gilead Waterworks Plant
Blog post — Home of the Week: The 1932 Mount Gilead Waterworks Plant, $169,000
- Sold for $157,500 on October 26, 2021 (originally $169,000)
- 2 bedrooms, 2 half-bathrooms, 1,443 square feet, 1 acre
- Price/square foot: $109
- Built in 1932
- Listed May 1, 2021
- Last sale: $23,000, April 2014
- Note: The building was converted into a residence in 2015.
- The building was constructed in 1932 by the Works Progress Administration.
- The property includes a goldfish tank and a catfish tank.
- The Mount Gilead Waterworks Plant is under protective covenants held by Preservation North Carolina. Contact Dawn Williams via email or 919-832-3652 x221 to request a copy.
- Video tour
392 Old Rockford Road, Rockford, Surry County
The Hugh Lindsay House
- Sold for $1.4 million on October 15, 2021 (listed at $1.795 million)
- 4 bedrooms, 5 bathrooms, 5,314 square feet, 65.22 acres
- Price/square foot: $263
- Built in 1887
- Listed October 1, 2020
- Last sale: $161,500, January 1989
- Listing: “Totally private, meticulously restored and expanded historic country home with majestic Yadkin River views and frontage [1,600 feet]. … Log guest cabin, 2-stall barn, small greenhouse, kitchen garden, outbuildings, fenced pasture, and clear or salt-water pool with waterfall.”
- County property record cards don’t typically offer subjective judgements, but the one for this place says, “BEAUTIFUL VIEW OF RIVER”.
- Circumstantial evidence from internet sources, particularly the Surry County Historical Society, suggest the namesake of the house was Hugh David Lindsay (1873-1940), a native of Davidson County. He married Sarah Hamlin “Sallie” Dobson (1873-1932) in 1896. She was born in Forsyth County. They’re both buried in Taylorsville. Although it appears that little further information about them is available, they did have connections to Surry County. They were married in the county in 1896. And her father, a lawyer who practiced in Winston, was born in Rockford and is buried there with her mother in the Hamlin-Dobson family cemetery.
- For the past 32 years, the house was owned by noted woodcarver Tony Leonardi and his wife, Bertie Leonardi.
112 N. Stratford Road, Winston-Salem
The Thurmond and Lucy Hanes Chatham House
National Register of Historic Places
- Sold for $1.725 million on September 28, 2021 (originally $1.45 million, later $2.1 million)
- 6 bedrooms, 6 bathrooms, 9,872 square feet, 2.72 acres
- Price/square foot: $175
- Built in 1925
- Listed April 30, 2019
- Last sale: $1.325 million, April 5, 2019
- Neighborhood: Buena Vista
- Note: Designated as a Forsyth County Landmark
- Designed by Charles Barton Keen and William Roy Wallace for a couple whose marriage united two major Winston-Salem textile families, the Chathams (Chatham Manufacturing) and the Hanes (Hanes Hosiery and P.F. Hanes Knitting Company).
2834 Bellemont-Alamance Road, Alamance County
- Sold for $470,000 on September 28, 2021 (listed at $449,900)
- 3 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, 3,320 square feet, 1.77 acres
- Price/square foot: $142
- Built in 1871
- Listed July 1, 2021
- Last sale: $275,000, May 2016
- Note: The house has a Burlington mailing address but is well to the south, just off N.C. 62 south of the village of Alamance.
- The house was built by Lawrence Shackleford Holt (1851-1937), third generation member of the local family that dominated the Alamance textile industry in the 19th and early 20th centuries.
- Nation Register nomination: “Sunny Side is a well~detailed, little-altered, two-story T-shaped frame Italianate style house with some Gothic Revival style features constructed in 1871 …. The cross-gable roof house with an elaborate bracketed cornice faces north and has a three-bay wide, single-pile main core with ornate two-bay hip-roof front porch, a projecting double-pile gable-front wing and rear ell at the east, and a small one-story single-room wing at the west. …
- “Approached by a long gravel driveway, Sunny Side is situated on a slight knoll near the rear of a well-landscaped two-acre yard which retains remnants of the gardens planted by the original owner, textile magnate Lawrence S. Holt. The present house tract, once the center of a 600-acre working farm, is now bordered by contemporary houses located on large lots which line the road.”
1 Chowan Road, Sedgefield, Guilford County
- Sold for $900,000 on September 15, 2021 (originally $950,000)
- 4 bedrooms, 4 1/2 bathrooms, 5,111 square feet, 1.73 acres
- Price/square foot: $176
- Built in 1975
- Listed June 23, 2021
- Last sale: $513,000, October 2018
- Neighborhood: Sedgefield
- Listing: “Authentically modern and historically preserved, this home is a living piece of art”
- The house sits along 600 feet of the 13th and 14th holes of the Sedgefield Gold Club course.
- “Its minimalist design creates unobstructed views of the course and surrounding landscape, highlighted indoors by vaulted ceilings, immense windows, and natural woods.”
- Designed by iconic Modernist architect George Matsumoto.
- N.C. State College of Design: “Matsumoto taught architecture at the (then) School of Design from its inception in 1948 until 1961, after which he went into architecture practice full time. He came to North Carolina from San Francisco, and, along with Dean Henry Kamphoefner and the founding faculty of the School, led the state to the forefront of the modernist architecture movement. Many faculty members, including Matsumoto himself, were in practice while teaching, and the residences and commercial buildings they designed are still celebrated today.”
3210 N.C. Highway 119 South, Haw River, Alamance County
The Henderson Scott House II
- Sold for $735,000 on August 20, 2021 (originally $899,000)
- 6 bedrooms, 4 1/2 bathrooms, 4,371 square feet (per county records), 3.42 acres
- Price/square foot: $168
- Built in 1848
- Listed June 10, 2021
- Last sale: $450,000, February 2007
- Neighborhood: Henderson Scott Farm Historic District
- Note: The house is the birthplace of Gov. W. Kerr Scott.
- “During his term as Governor from 1949 to 1953, he introduced one of the most progressive plans ever, the ‘Go Forward’ program,” the district NRHP nomination says. “He proposed spending State surplus revenue on services for the aged, dependent, handicapped and mentally ill. He was also responsible for paving many secondary roads, ‘getting North Carolina out of the mud’ and the rural electrification program. He was a United States Senator at the time of his death in 1958.”
- This is the second house built by Henderson Scott, whose descendants established the Scott family as political and agricultural leaders in Alamance County and the state.
- District NRHP nomination: “The Henderson Scott Farm, as the home of five generations of the Scott family beginning with Henderson Scott (1814-1870), is the site most closely associated with this dynasty of statewide significance in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries in the areas of agriculture and government/politics. … The farm is the birthplace of three of North Carolina’s most influential twentieth century statesmen: member of State Legislature and long-time State Board of Agriculture leader Robert Walter Scott (1861-1929); Governor William Kerr Scott (1896-1958); and Senator Ralph Scott [1903-1989].”
- Kerr’s son, Gov. Bob Scott, was born nearby on the Kerr Scott Farm.
- The house remained in the Scott family until 2007, when the current owners bought it.
- Online listings show 4,762 square feet, compared to 4,371 in county records.
1056 N. Main Street, Mount Airy, Surry County
The Edgar Harvey Hennis House
- Sold for $560,000 on August 19, 2021 (originally $649,900)
- 5 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, 3,798 square feet, 0.78 acre
- Price/square foot: $147
- Built in 1909
- Listed March 15, 2021
- Last sale: $187,000, August 2017
- Neighborhood: Lebanon Hill Historic District
- Listing: “The main home has 4 BR’s & 2 full baths; Formal LR, DR, Den, & Southern Kitchen. The upper level has a separate kitchen, to allow for multipurpose living, & lots of unfinished attic space which could easily convert to more living area or baths. The Carriage House has a fully functional apartment for separate living space, & a 2-3 car garage.”
- National Register nomination: “The Edgar Harvey Hennis House is significant both architecturally and for its historical associations. Located at 1056 North Main Street in Mount Airy, the house is a handsome, intact example of early twentieth century design reflecting influences of the late Victorian and Colonial Revival styles.
- “The large, well-detailed, asymmetrical one-and-one-half story brick veneer house features multiple projecting shingled gables with Palladian and round-arch windows, projecting bays, windows with beveled glass transoms, a generous, U-shaped wrap-around porch and a wealth of original interior decorative woodwork, mantelpieces and hardware.
- “Granite, the hallmark Mount Airy building material, is used for window sills and lintels, porch plinths, foundation, and retaining wall.
- “Constructed in 1909, the Hennis House is the earliest known residence built on Lebanon Hill. Lebanon Hill was a center of early Mount Airy suburban development from the 1910s through the mid-1930s. Located approximately three-quarters of a mile north of the central business district, Lebanon Hill was the site from 1831 to c. 1858 of the town’s first Methodist Church.
- “The house was constructed for Edgar Harvey Hennis (1884-1965), a prominent early Mount Airy businessman, horse trader and, later, long-time owner of the town’s Chrysler automobile dealership. Hennis’ wife, Susan (1883-1983) owned the house until her death. The house remained virtually unltered during their seventy-four year occupation. The present owner has preserved the house and sensitively renovated the kitchen, baths and attic space.
719 S. Main Street, Reidsville, Rockingham County
The Walters House
- Sold for $217,000 on August 17, 2021 (listed at $227,000)
- 5 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 2,958 square feet, 1.46 acres
- Price/square foot: $73
- Built in 1869
- Listed January 31, 2021
- Last sale: 1937
- Neighborhood: Reidsville Historic District
- District NRHP nomination: “This large frame house, one of a number of important Italianate houses surviving in the district, is said to have been built built about 1880 for Captain Archibald E. Walters (1843-1920), a Virginia native and Civil War veteran, and his wife Mary E. Walters (1845-1914), by her father R.P. Richardson, Sr. They had married in 1868 and apparently lived in Virginia for a number of years. It is believed that Richardson had earlier built the adjacent house to the south for another daughter, Margaret Isabella, who was married to Col. A.J. Boyd.”
- “Mrs. Walters willed the house to her son E.R. Walters, who sold it in 1937 to optometrist William T. Ferneyhough, Sr., who died in 1970. After being rented for a number of years, the house is now  occupied by W. T. Ferneyhough, Jr.” The house is still in the Ferneyhough family.
- “Standing far back from the street on a large lot with mature magnolia and oak trees, the two-story frame house features an irregular plan, which narrows from north to south, under a low hipped roof pierced by tall brick chimneys with rusticated stone caps.
- “Two-story semi-hexagonal bays project from the north elevation and north projecting bay of the three-bay facade.
- “A one-story porch with two-tier, pedimented gable entrance bay shelters the right two bays and continues on the south elevation, where it has been enclosed. The porch is supported by chamfered posts and has turned baluster railings.
- “Windows are two over two sash in round-and segmentally-arched openings with label moldings above on most windows. The architrave has a paneled frieze with sawn brackets. One-story wings extend to the rear of the house. Since 1978, the house has been sheathed in aluminum siding.”
1204 Brookstown Avenue, Winston-Salem
The Spencer House
- Sold for $820,000 on July 14, 2021 (listed at $795,000)
- 4 bedrooms, 3 1/2 bathrooms, 3,250 square feet
- Price/square foot: $252
- Built in 1910
- Listed May 11, 2021
- Last sale: $190,000, April 2013
- Neighborhood: West End Historic District
- District NRHP nomination: “The Spencer House is an elegant Colonial Revival dwelling with some detailing very similar to that found at 1208 Brookstown Ave. next door.
- “The two-story weatherboarded frame house has a truncated hip roof with overhanging eaves, a central gabled dormer with a Palladian window and objets trouves work, and smaller flanking hipped dormers.
- “The central entrance with sidelights and transom is echoed by the sidelighted doorway to the second floor deck.
- “The house has a wrap-around porch with a slightly projecting entrance bay, Tuscan columns, a full entablature, and a plain balustrade with central ‘star’ panels.
- “An ironwork fire stair has been attached to the southeast side of the house in recent years, but it does not hide any of the original detailing and could be easily removed.
- “Although the house was depicted on the 1912 Sanborn Map, the first tax listing was not until 1917 with M.K. Spencer. The 1920 city directory lists Dr. William O. and Mary K. Spencer at this location. The Spencers owned the house until 1967.”
- Dr. William Oliver Spencer was a physician and surgeon and president of Spencer Sanitarium. He was born in Davie County. Mary Graves Miles Kerr Spencer (1875-1965) was born in Yanceyville. One of her brothers was U.S. Rep. John Hosea Kerr, who served from 1923-1953.
210 Hillcrest Drive, High Point
The W. Chase Idol House
- Sold for $825,000 on July 7, 2021 (originally $939,000)
- 6 bedrooms, 5 bathrooms, 5,313 square feet (per county), 0.6 acre
- Price/square foot: $155
- Built in 1929
- Listed November 12, 2020
- Last sale: $775,000, January 2017
- Neighborhood: Emerywood/Uptown Suburbs Historic District
- Note: Designed by Lorenzo Winslow. He worked for Harry Barton and A.K. Moore in Greensboro, designing many homes in Sunset Hills. He later moved to Washington, where he became the architect for the White House. His work there included the complete renovation of the building in 1948-52.
- The house was gutted to the studs in a 2017 renovation.
- District NRHP nomination: “This two-story, gable-on-hip-roofed, Tudor Revival-style house features a terra cotta roof, a brick veneer, laid diagonally at the second-floor level, and faux half-timbering on the gables, dormers, and the second-floor level of the projecting gabled bays. The house is three bays wide and double-pile with a two-and-a-half-story, projecting, front-gabled bay on the right (east) end of the facade and a two-story, projecting entrance bay.
- “It has grouped, six-light, metal casement windows, most with two-light transoms, and a group of three diamond-paned metal casement windows over the entrance. The batten door has leaded-glass sidelights with a shield motif. It is recessed slightly and accessed via a pointed-arched cast-stone surround. A bay window to the left (west) of the entrance has six-light casement windows with four-light transoms on all three sides and a tile hipped roof.
- “There is a catslide, shed-roofed porte-cochere on the right elevation, supported by full-height brick piers with arched openings. A catslide, shed-roofed porch on the left elevation has matching supports with narrower arched openings.
- “There are two massive, corbelled brick chimneys, a two-story, hip-roofed wing projecting from the rear of the left elevation, and a hip-roofed dormer on the right elevation.
- “The house is listed as vacant in 1930; the earliest known occupant is W. Chase Idol (vice-president/cashier, Wachovia Bank & Trust Company; secretary/treasurer, Piedmont Bank & Loan Association) in 1933.”
524 Church Street, Gibsonville, Guilford County
The Kivette House
- Sold for $349,900 on June 30, 2021 (originally $359,000)
- 4 bedrooms, 3 1/2 bathrooms, 2,270 square feet, 0.9 acre
- Price/square foot: $154
- Built in 1923
- Listed May 10, 2021
- Last sale: $153,000, July 2020
- Note: Square footage numbers for this house vary widely. When the house was sold last year, the listing said 2,048. This time, it says 2,270. County records show 2,617.
- The house was built by Pearlee Lassiter Kivette, who sold lumber and coal and is said to have been the first millionaire in Gibsonville. It was owned by the Kivette family for 87 years, from 1923 to 2010. The sale came shortly after the death of Camille Kivette, the last of the Kivette sisters, lifelong supporters and benefactors of Elon University. Click here for more about the Kivettes and their houses.
853 Buttonwood Drive, Winston-Salem
- Sold for $675,000 on June 20, 2021 (originally $825,500)
- 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 3,053 square feet, 1.77 acres
- Price/square foot: $221
- Built in 1981
- Listed March 13, 2020
- Last sale: $480,000, February 2008
- Neighborhood: Sherwood Forest
- Note: The property includes an Asian style landscape, two-level Japanese tea house, greenhouse/four-season sun room off the master bedroom.
425 E. Hendrix Street, Greensboro
The Charles Augustus Hendrix House
Blog post — The Charles Augustus Hendrix House: A Grand 1890s Mansion in Dunleath, $300,000
- Sold for $200,000 on June 15, 2021 (originally listed at $300,000)
- 4 bedrooms, 3 1/2 bathrooms, 3,255 square feet
- Price/square foot: $61
- Built around 1895
- Listed February 14, 2021
- Last sale: $50,000 plus unspecified balance of a mortgage, July 2007
- Neighborhood: Dunleath Historic District
- Note: The house has remained in the extended Hendrix family since it was built, owned successively by a daughter and son-in-law, grandson and great-granddaughter of Charles Hendrix.
- Although the photos indicate the house is in very livable shape, it’s priced like a fixer-upper. At least some of the floors need refinishing, and a new owner might well want to update the kitchen and bathrooms.
- County records show the date of the house as 1902, but the city directory shows brothers Charles and Edward Hendrix living there with their wives by 1896. The NRHP nomination for the Summit Avenue Historic District gives the date as 1895-99. The Hendrix brothers appear to have bought the property in the 1880s. Edward, a broker, died in 1919.
- Charles Augustus Hendrix (1862-1942) was identified in the 19th century as a farmer and horse trader, but later became a prominent contractor. His obituary credits him as the contractor for the Aycock school and Sedgefield Gold golf course and for the excavations for the Southeastern Building, the King Cotton Hotel and the original O. Henry Hotel. He was a founder of the Sedgefield Ride and Hunt Club and the North Carolina Fox Hunt Association.
117 W. Keeling Road, Greensboro
The Thomas Edgar Sikes Jr. House
- Sold for $635,000 on June 2, 2021 (originally $720,000)
- 3 bedrooms, 3 1/2 bathrooms, 2,991 square feet, 0.44 acre
- Price/square foot: $212
- Built in 1958
- Listed January 12, 2021
- Last sale: $295,000, February 2020
- Neighborhood: Hamilton Lakes
- Note: County records show the house having 2,991 square feet. The owners say it’s 3,150, which would make the price $206 per square foot.
- Designed by Jaroslav Jan Kabatnik (1907-1995), who worked with Edward Lowenstein and later with Edward Gulledge, the builder of 117 W. Keeling. Born in Bohemia, Jaroslav is said to have been a member of the Czech Olympic team in the 1936 Olympics. He also served with the Czech army in World War II. After the Communist coup in 1948, he ended up in a refugee camp and then set out for Morocco, France, Chicago and, by 1953, Greensboro.
- From 1932-1954, the property was owned by Charles Gillespie Yates, a vice president of Vicks Chemical Company and, during World War II, city civilian defense coordinator for Greensboro. He apparently didn’t build on it.
- Dr. Thomas Edgar Sikes Jr. (1925-2015) and his wife Betty Gale Edwards Sikes (1926-2018) bought the land in 1954 and built the house four years later. Edgar and Betty Gale were married for 66 years. The house was sold by their children in 2020.
- Edgar was an oral surgeon (his father was a dentist); he practiced in Greensboro for 40 years. He also served as head of dental services at Wesley Long and Moses Cone hospitals and taught pathology and anatomy at Guilford Technical and Community College. His obituary said he sang in the choir at West Market St United Methodist Church for 60 years, served as chairman of the Guilford County Board of Health and volunteered in the Department of Archives at the Greensboro History Museum. He also served as museum president.
- Betty Gale was a charter member of the Greensboro History Museum Guild, served on the Board of Trustees and as a docent for 35 years. She died at the age of 92. Her survivors included her step-mother-in-law, Mary Ann Mitchell Sikes, who was born the same year she was (and died two years later). They were both a year younger than Edgar.
- For more on the house, see https://www.117keelingw.com/.
- What it looked like when it was sold in 2020:
308 S. Main Street, Reidsville, Rockingham County
The William Lindsey House
- Sold for $445,000 on May 26, 2021 (listed at $434,900)
- 5 bedrooms, 3 1/2 bathrooms, 5,205 square feet, 0.91 acre
- Price/square foot: $85
- Built in 1868
- Listed April 5, 2021
- Last sale: $322,000, August 2002
- Neighborhood: Reidsville Historic District
- District NRHP nomination: “Because of both its historical associations and its architectural distinction, the William Lindsey House is a pivotal building in the Reidsville Historic District.”
- The house is “a two-story, single-pile brick Italianate dwelling with a three-bay facade, one-story bays on the side elevations, and a one-story brick ell spanning the rear of the main section. The hip-roofed house features elaborate Italianate trim, including deep paneled and bracketed eaves, decorative hoods over slender paired windows on the second floor, segmental arched window and door openings on the first, and paneled interior chimneys.
- “Early in the 20th century, a new porch was constructed across this facade, in the Neo-Classical Revival style. It consists of a one-story, full-facade porch supported by corinthian columns which are repeated in monumental fashion in the central projecting two-story pedimented portico. Heavy turned balusters line the porch and the central balcony, from which a double-leaf door, similar to the main entrance, opens to the second floor. The earlier porch appears to have spanned only the entrance bay, with a second porch on the south elevation.” As late as the mid-1980s, there were large magnolia trees in the front yard.
- “William Lindsey (1829-1889) is believed to have moved to this area of Rockingham County from Virginia in 1852 and opened a tobacco factory in the late 1850s …. In the early 1880s, he built a large brick factory on the west side of N.W. Market St., where he produced the following brands: “Johnnie Reb,” “Our Statesman,” “Edna Lindsey,” “Lindsey’s Leader,” and “Our Level Best.” In partnership with H.K. Reid, he operated a general store, and he was a founder of many local businesses. Lindsey owned several hundred acres of land in the new town of Reidsville, and his name appears on many land transactions as the town grew.
- “He was married to Sarah Holderby [1833-1893], daughter of Joseph Holderby [1803-1875], who was prominent in the early development of Reidsville. The Lindseys first lived in the early 19th century home of Reuben Reid (demolished) which was at this location until they built a new home and moved the earlier house to a site on nearby Lindsey street. Occupied for many years by the Lindseys’ daughter, Edna [1868-1961], and her husband, tobacconist Eugene Watt [1868-1941], the house remains [as of August 1986] in the Lindsey family, occupied by his granddaughter, Sarah Watt [1901-1990] and her husband, William C. Stokes [1900-1986].”
- Bonus Reidsville history: “Reuben Reid of Hogans Creek moved his family, including wife, Elizabeth Williams Settle, and son, David Settle Reid, to a 700-acre farm on the ridge between Wolf Island and Little Troublesome creeks in May, 1814. He became a successful farmer, operated a store and a public inn maintained in a private home and served the county as a constable and justice of the peace.
- “The family secured a post office, aptly named Reidsville, in 1829. 16-year-old David Settle Reid was appointed its first postmaster. He would later become a State Senator (1835-42), a U.S. Congressman (1843-47), Governor of North Carolina (1850) and a U.S. Senator (1854).”
- H.K. Reid, William Lindsey’s business partner, was another son of Reuben Reid.
2206 Union Cross Road, Winston-Salem
- Sold for $750,000 on May 26, 2021 (originally $750,000, later $850,000)
- 3 bedrooms, 4 1/2 bathrooms, 4,106 square feet, 8.29 acres
- Price/square foot: $183
- Built in 1992
- Listed February 28, 2020
- Last sale: Not available in online records
- Note: The listing shows 4,723 square feet; county records show 4,106.
1948 Farmington Road, Farmington, Davie County (Mocksville mailing address)
The Charles F. and Jane A. Bahnson House
- Sold for $474,900 on May 21, 2021 (originally $579,900)
- 3 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, 3,364 square feet and 6.1 acres (both per county records)
- Price/square foot: $141
- Built circa 1878
- Listed December 22, 2020
- Last sale: $203,500, February 2008
- Neighborhood: Farmington Historic District (NRHP)
- Note: The listing shows 3,800 square feet and 7 acres, both a bit larger than county records say. Farmington is 9 miles north of Mocksville and 9 miles west of Clemmons.
- NRHP district nomination: “This I-house features a projecting, full-height, gabled central entrance bay with a double-leaf door and a hip-roofed front porch with a gable over the entrance. Turned porch posts have replaced the original square, bracketed posts and a square vent now pierces the front gable in place of the original decorative gable vent, but the house retains Italianate-style elements such as the heavy sawn work brackets that ornament the boxed cornices and the original two-over-two sash that illuminate the interior. A bay window projects from the north elevation’s first story, and a bracketed flat-roofed hood shelters the south elevation’s first-story window. Six-over-six sash light the attic. A standing-seam metal roof protects the house.
- “The rear ell consists of two small gabled sections. The two-room western section is slightly taller and has a central brick chimney and a bay window on the north elevation. The shed-roofed porch on the south elevation has been enclosed to create a sun porch. According to family tradition, the ell’s east end was originally a detached kitchen and has been remodeled to serve the same function. A small room in the southeast corner, which served as a pantry, has been converted into a laundry room, while the adjacent room, originally a meat storage closet, is now a bathroom. The shed-roofed porch on the south elevation has been enclosed to serve as a garage.
- “The interior retains original plaster walls, tall baseboards, plaster ceilings, and a stair with a turned newel post, turned balusters, and a molded handrail that rises from the center hall’s east end to a landing above the front door. As in several other Farmington dwellings, plaster arches frame the recesses on either side of the chimney and the bay window in the northwest room, which served as the parlor. The parlor and south second-floor bedroom mantels feature circular medallions incised from the central panels. …
- “Molded trim surrounds the windows and original two-raised-vertical-panel doors. Two-light transoms surmount each door that leads into a hall. Electric light fixtures, probably installed about the time Farmington received electric service in 1921, remain in several principal rooms. The brass chandeliers in the dining room and hall were removed from Farmington Methodist Church when the interior was updated in the late 1980s.
- “Carpeting covers the original wide cypress floors in the halls and bedrooms. Central plaster medallions ornament the parlor and dining room ceilings. The south second-floor bedroom ceiling features decorative plaster work in each corner.”
- “Charles Frederic Bahnson (1840-1911) and his wife Jane Amanda Johnson (1842-1926), known as Jennie, erected the two-story main block after inheriting money from his mother’s uncle Israel George Loesch’s estate in 1878, but the one-story ell is older. Jennie’s parents, George Wesley and Martha Williams Taylor Johnson, gave the couple land in Farmington that included two small houses (formerly slave quarters according to oral tradition) at the time of their marriage on December 6, 1865. The Bahnsons initially resided on Johnson family property (which is now Tanglewood Park), but moved to Farmington and joined the two existing dwellings to create their home, which they occupied in August 1867.”
- “The young couple established a successful farm on the land her parents gave them in Farmington, and Charles opened a small office and jewelry shop in a one-room building adjacent to their home. He also traveled throughout the region offering watch repair and optometry services in county seats on court days.”
2456 Glencoe Street, Glencoe Mill Village, Alamance County
- Sold for $159,000 on May 13, 2021 (listing price was $159,000; originally $150,000)
- 2 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, 1,248 square feet, 0.29 acre
- Price/square foot: $127
- Built in 1880
- Listed October 18, 2019
- Last sale: $95,000, July 2011
- HOA: $55/month
- Note: Note: The restored Glencoe mill village is just north of Burlington off N.C. 62. It’s a historic district administered by the City of Burlington (Glencoe is outside the city limits but within Burlington’s zoning jurisdiction).
104 Kemp Road West, Greensboro
The Harry Barton House
Blog post — 104 Kemp Road West — Harry Barton’s Own House (August 2, 2020)
Blog post — The 1925 Harry Barton House in Hamilton Lakes, $1.65 million (June 28, 2019)
- Sold for $805,000 on May 12, 2021 (originally $1.65 million)
- 4 bedrooms, 4 1/2 bathrooms, 4,027 square feet, 0.65 acre
- Price/square foot: $200
- Built in 1925
- Listed April 23, 2019
- Last sale: $105,000, June 1976
- Neighborhood: Hamilton Lakes
- Note: The house was designed by Harry Barton as his own residence. The property is on Benjamin Lake.
- A separate gym with a steam shower and hot tub overlooks the lake.
- Italian tile roof
- County property records show the house being bigger than the listing says it is — 4,027 square feet vs. 3,464.
1700 Richardson Drive, Reidsville
Belmont, The Robert Payne Richardson Jr. House
The Robert Payne Richardson Houses Historic District
Blog post — Sold: Belmont, The Robert Payne Richardson Jr. House, a 1912 Mansion Among Mansions in Reidsville
- Sold for $950,000 on May 10, 2021 (originally $1.495 million)
- 6 bedrooms, 5 1/2 bathrooms, 8,946 square feet, 8.67 acres
- Price/square foot: $106
- Built in 1912
- Original listing date was before July 2015; current listings dn’t go back any further.
- Last sale: Unclear in online records
- Note: Belmont is one of the three Richardson family homes comprising the principal structures of the Robert Payne Richardson Houses Historic District on the National Register of Historic Places. The district consists of 22 buildings and structures on about 30 acres near downtown Reidsville.
- Listing: “The home has been completely restored … currently being used as a private residence and venue for weddings and other events.”
- County property records say the house has 8,946 square feet. A current listing lists that figure and an additional 3,332 unfinished square feet for a total of 12,278.
605 Park Avenue, Greensboro
The Preddy House
Blog post — 605 Park Avenue: The 1920 Boyhood Home of the Preddy Brothers, Greensboro’s Great Heroes of World War II
- Sold for $225,000 on April 30, 2021 (listed at $199,900)
- 3 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, 1,756 square feet
- Price/square foot: $128
- Built in 1920
- Listed March 30, 2021
- Last sale: $136,000, July 2004
- Neighborhood: Dunleath Historic District
- Note: The boyhood home of Greensboro’s great heroes of World War II, fighter aces George and William Preddy.
- George E. Preddy Sr. (1889-1972) bought the property in 1919. The house is dated 1920 in county records, but George apparently rented the house out until 1928. He and his family lived first at 610 Park with his parents, George M. and Sarah, and George E.’s younger siblings Dale and Irene, and later renting the house at 607 Park. George was a Southern Railway conductor.
- George E. and wife Clara (1893-1974) had three children. Their daughter, Jonnice Carolyn, died in 1939. Both sons died in the war — George over the Battle of the Bulge on Christmas Day 1944 and William over Czechoslovakia the day before the war ended. Clara sold the house after George Sr. died in 1972.
905 Forest Hill Drive, High Point
The J. Ed Millis House
- Sold for $1 million on April 30, 2021 (listed at $1.15 million)
- 4 bedrooms, 3 1/2 bathrooms, 5,242 square feet, 1.06 acres
- Price/square foot: $191
- Built in 1926
- Listed October 9, 2020
- Last sale: $246,000, 1983
- Neighborhood: Emerywood
- Note: The house has been in the Millis family since it was built.
- J. Ed Millis was an executive of the Adams-Millis Corporation. He was the son of J. Henry Millis, co-founder of the company.
- The designed by Northup and O’Brien of Winston-Salem.
- The Architecture of High Point North Carolina: “The Millis residence stands as one of the most impressive in the city, with period detail that evokes a rambling medieval English manor house. The house is a distinctive variation of the Tudor Revival style in its incorporation of stuccoed walls throughout, rather than the more typical brick and false half-timbering.”
- Listing: “The garage apt includes an additional bedroom, full bath, kitchen, and den. The property overlooks the High Point Country Club golf course and includes a 3 car garage and wonderful outdoor gazebo.”
331 S. Main Street, Old Salem, Winston-Salem
The Charles Pfohl House
- Sold for $580,000 on April 26, 2021 (originally $595,000)
- 3 bedrooms, 2 1/2 bathrooms, 2,786 square feet
- Price/square foot: $208
- Built in 1905
- Listed January 15, 2021
- Last sale: $280,000, April 2006
- Listing: The house’s restoration won the 2013 Preserve Historic Forsyth Award.
- District NRHP nomination: “At the turn of the century, Sanborn Insurance maps show a small house at the street front of this lot. The present house was built for Charles and Mary Josephine (Eberhardt) Pfohl by their son Herbert, then president of Fogle Brothers Company. Charles was working for Salem College and Herbert built this house to bring his father closer to his work. … The house on Lot 43 remained in the Pfohl family until 2006, with the exception of a 15-year ownership by retired Salem College president Dale Gramley beginning in 1971.”
- “The high cross-gable main roof (asphalt shingle) meets at a large central brick chimney with corbelled cap. A variety of roof lines is created by multiple projecting pedimented gables with flared eaves and assorted dormers. Vertical and horizontal elements on the exterior walls, pointed arch and shingled solid verge boards, a tall partially engaged exterior end brick chimney with corbelled cap, and a range of window features give this frame house a decorative appeal. Window sash is four-over-one with wide surrounds.”
- “The projecting front bay with tripartite windows has one large light one-over-one sash flanked by smaller one-over-one sash and louver panels. Paired and tripled windows are in dormers. Lunettes are featured in the north and south gable ends; the rear gable is clipped. The engaged front porch with Tuscan columns and turned balustrade is a reworking of the original porch as shown on the 1912 Sanborn Insurance map. This map also recorded two outbuildings. The rear yard, which ends with the granite wall at Cedar Avenue, is currently empty, although a formal garden with a fish pond and a frame garage were present in the mid-twentieth century. The house was rehabilitated in 2009.”
351 W. Meadow Road, Eden, Rockingham County
The Eggleston-Ziglar House
Blog post — Rivermont in Eden: A Landmark 1936 Mansion on the Smith River, $650,000
- Sold for $545,000 on April 9, 2021 (originally $650,000)
- 5 bedrooms, 5 full bathrooms and two half-bathrooms, 5,231 square feet (per county records), 15.06 acres
- Price/square foot: $104
- Built in 1936
- Listed January 19, 2020
- Last sales: $400,000, March 2019; $455,000, September 2017
- Neighborhood: Leaksville
- Note: Was for sale by owner, now listed with an agent
- The home’s new owners bought the house in March 2019, made some renovations, secured designation for it as a local landmark in June and now have put it up for sale again at 62 percent more than they paid for it.
- The property is on the Smith River.
- From the previous FSBO listing: “Rivermont would make a great home for entertaining, a B&B or wedding venue.” The last previous owners marketed it as a performance and event venue.
- The house still has its slate roof.
912 Bethlehem Church Road, Eden, Rockingham County
- Sold for $600,000 on April 8, 2021 (originally $725,000)
- 3 bedrooms, 3 1/2 bathrooms, 4,872 square feet, 132 acres
- Price/square foot: $123
- Built in 1890
- Listed September 17, 2020
- Last sale: $119,000, September 1972
- Note: Formerly the 912 Bethlehem restaurant
- The property includes a pond and stables with five stalls.
- “… Large den with gorgeous rock fireplace with a hard pine mantle from Spray Mercantile Building. Room has wormy Chestnut paneling and a separate air unit.”
- “The kitchen for the restaurant was created from the two car garage. There is a separate office beside the home.”
- The property was sold twice in two days about six weeks after the listing was withdrawn. First, on April 7, 2021, it was bought by Leaksville United Methodist Church; the amount was not specified on the deed. The next day, the church sold it to an LLC for $600,000.
319 S. Main Street, Old Salem, Winston-Salem
The Peter Fetter House
- Sold for $459,000 on March 25, 2021 (listed at $500,000)
- 4 bedrooms, 2 1/2 bathrooms, 2,620 square feet (per county), 0.33 acre
- Price/square foot: $175
- Built in 1840
- Listed February 4, 2020
- Last sale: $399,000, May 2020
- Note: Converted into a duplex after a 1920 sale, the listing implies it’s now a single-unit house.
- Interior designer Carol Wooley owned the house from 2001-2020 and rented out one side as a guest house for at least part of that time.
- District NRHP nomination: “The ca. 1920 purchase of this house by Walter Hege and his conversion of it into a duplex concealed and modified the original center hall, two-room deep single family house.
- “Located at the south end of Lot 83 and against the sidewalk, the two-story frame (weatherboard) building with side gable roof (asphalt shingle) has returned eaves and is on a high stuccoed stone foundation. The symmetrically arranged three-bay façade has wide cornice and corner boards and paired four-over-one sash windows with wide casings. Side porches (north and south) have low hip roofs supported by square posts with shingled balustrade. A two-story frame (weatherboard) centered rear ell has a hip roof with an interior chimney.”
- “The remodeling of the house removed front and rear porches, altered fenestration, and adjusted the interior to accommodate two housing units. The house was split in half and a two-story rear ell was added to accommodate a kitchen/ pantry and additional bedroom for each unit. With the front entry removed, side porches were added to shelter new entrances. The roof retains interior end brick chimneys (south has lost its corbelled cap), and each upper gable end retains the two six-over-six sash windows at the third floor/attic level.”
709 Blair Street, Greensboro
The Tom and Sara Sears House
- Sold for $730,000 on March 15, 2021 (listed at $800,000)
- 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, 3,974 square feet (per county), 0.73 acre
- Price/square foot: $184
- Built in 1979
- Listed November 18, 2020
- Last sale: The house has been owned by the sellers since it was built.
- Neighborhood: Irving Park
- Note: The house is a meticulous copy of the John Vogler House in Old Salem, built in 1819.The house was built by Tom and Sara Sears, two of the Triad’s most accomplished preservationists and antique collectors (Antiques magazine says they’ve assembled “one of North Carolina’s finest collections of southern antiques.”). Both have served on the boards of Old Salem and the Museum of Early Southern Decorative Arts in Winston-Salem. Tom also has served as Old Salem’s director of grounds and buildings, a member of the Greensboro Historic Preservation Commission and on the executive council of the Society of American Period Furniture Makers.
- Seasons magazine: “With master builder D.C. Patton from Burlington and woodworker Roger Harvell from Greensboro (who once worked for famed designer Otto Zenke) — not to mention a lot of their own sweat equity — the Searses raised a near perfect replica of the Vogler House … . It included five fireplaces and eventually a copy of Old Salem’s bake house for a tool shed, plus a replica of the Moravian firehouse on the square for a garage.”
- Old Salem NRHP nomination: “A prominent architectural statement was made when silversmith John Vogler built his 1819 two-story Federal style brick house on Main Street at the southwest corner of Salem Square, which departed from traditional Germanic/Moravian architecture. An early advocate of industrialization, Vogler’s hand was in the mix of the Salem grist mill in 1819, the Salem Cotton Mill in 1836, and the industrial activities that followed. However, even with its refinement and stylishness, the house contained Vogler’s shop, and he did not separate his work and living space until 1846. The house was given to Old Salem in 1952 by Vogler descendants and is an exhibit building.”
7435 U.S. 158 East, Leasburg, Caswell County
The Walter Thomas House
- Sold for $130,000 on March 8, 2021 (originally $160,000)
- 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 3,212 square feet, 1.71 acres
- Price/square foot: $40
- Built in 1850
- Listed June 30, 2019
- Last sale: $154,500, July 2009
- Listing: “Partially restored 1850 Greek Revival home … beautiful restored staircase, 5 chandeliers, 7 fireplaces (one restored Thomas Day design), large columned front porch, upstairs balcony, roof 2007, new septic, plumbing, electrical upgrades, new insulation, plantation shutters, reinforced chimneys, side porch, dbl carport, smoke house …”
605 N. Church Street, Greensboro
The Fisher-Carlson-Latham House
Blog post — New Listing: The Fisher-Carlson-Latham House in Fisher Park, $589,900
- Sold for $493,000 on January 29, 2021 (originally $589,900)
- 4 bedrooms, 2 1/2 bathrooms, 3,755 square feet, 0.43 acre
- Price/square foot: $131
- Built in 1905
- Listed September 18, 2020
- Last sale: $370,000, July 2004
- Neighborhood: Fisher Park Historic District
- Note: The house is often referred to as the Carl Carlson House, but he was apparently the second owner. Arthur Fisher built the house and in 1913 sold it to Carlson.
- County property records date the house to 1905. Fisher Park’s NRHP nomination has it as circa 1910-15. It first appears in the city directory in the 1912-13 edition with Fisher living there.
- NRHP district nomination: “C. I. Carlson: topped by large shingled, cross-gambrell roof; multiple bays are recessed beneath the roof, behind a round-columned wraparound porch at the first story.”
5703 Anson Road, Sedgefield, Guilford County
The Odell Byerly House
Blog post on Greensboro Historic Homes — The Odell Byerly House: An Antique King’s Mansion in Sedgefield, $650,000
- Sold for $630,000 on January 25, 2021 (originally $685,000)
- 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, 4,784 square feet (per county records), 1.55 acres
- Price/square foot: $132
- Built in 1953
- Listed May 14, 2020
- Last sale: $255,000, December 1997
- Note: Odell Byerly built the house and lived in it until his death in 1970, when he left it to Perry Ruth Byerly (his wife, I would guess). The house wasn’t sold until 1998. Since 1999 it has been owned by a series of trusts.
- Odell Byerly opened an antique store in High Point in 1937. From 1958 to 2000, it was located on I-85 at the Groometown Road exit, where Byerly’s Antiques became an Interstate landmark with its towering Corinthian columns. It was torn down in 2000 for an expansion of the interstate. The store relocated but closed four years later.
- The property includes a three-car garage.
916 S. Main Street, Old Salem, Winston-Salem
The Voltz House
- Sold for $410,000 on January 14, 2021 (originally $449,000)
- 4 bedrooms, 3 1/2 bathrooms, 3,110 square feet
- Price/square foot: $132
- Built in 1816
- Listed March 9, 2020
- Last sale: $225,000, December 1990
- Listing: “Lower level features playroom w/separate outside entrance w/mudroom, playroom, bedroom & bath for frequent visitors, Air B&B or multi-generational living.”
- Sold by Salem Academy & College
5576 Main Street, Bethania, Forsyth County
- Sold for $290,000 on January 11, 2021 (listed at $299,000)
- 3 bedrooms, 2 1/2 bathrooms, 3,332 square feet (per county records), 0.63 acre
- Price/square foot: $87
- Built in 1772
- Listed June 25, 2020
- Last sale: $337,000, June 2003
- Note: The property includes a barn apartment.
313 S. Main Street, Old Salem, Winston-Salem
The Belo-Stockton House
- Sold for $385,000 on January 8, 2021 (listed at $379,900)
- 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 2,011 square feet
- Price/square foot: $191
- Built in 1875
- Listed December 7, 2020
- Last sale: $155,000, December 1988
- Neighborhood: Old Salem
- District NRHP nomination: “… John Levin Belo constructed his house on the northern half of Lot 83 (brother of Edward Belo … 455 S. Main St.). The house is commonly associated with Tilla Stockton, a music teacher who taught lessons in her home and at Salem College.”
- “Set back from the street by a shallow yard with picket fence, the Italianate house is a one and one-half story common bond (5:1) brick building. The side gable roof (wood shingle) has open eaves with exposed rafter and purlin ends. There are two interior brick chimneys with corbelled caps.”
- “The symmetrical five-bay façade features a prominent centered entry-bay portico with chamfered posts and turned balustrade. It shelters a double-leaf door with large two-light transom and sidelights. From a low concrete retaining wall at the sidewalk, three concrete steps lead to four wide wood steps which access the portico. Centered above the portico is a gabled wall dormer with narrow glazed doors set in a round arch, which open onto the flat porch roof. This basic configuration is repeated in simpler form on the rear elevation.”
- “First floor windows are large light four-over-four sash. The upper gable ends have four-over-four sash windows at the second floor level and are flanked by four-light casement attic windows. All sash windows are hung with louver shutters.”