Updated August 13, 2022
These historic homes are on farms or other properties with substantial acreage.
415 E. Main Street, Jamestown, Guilford County
The Thomas C. Ragsdale House
listing withdrawn May 14, 2020; relisted August 10, 2020
listing withdrawn August 24, 2021; relisted November 15, 2021
sale pending April 8, 2022
no longer under contract May 12, 2022
- $2.5 million (originally $2.5 million, later as low as $2.25 million and as high as $3.5 million)
- 5 bedrooms, 5 bathrooms, 7,685 square feet, 21 acres
- Price/square foot: $325
- Built in 1951
- Listed September 4, 2019
- Last sale: $880,000, June 2004
- Note: The price was raised by $1 million when the size of the property for sale was doubled to 42 acres for a time.
- Ragsdale was a mayor of Jamestown (1951-53) and one of seven children of Lucy Coffin Ragsdale, a well-known advocate for public education and namesake of Ragsdale High School in Jamestown.
- The property includes a swimming pool, pond, guest house, four-car garage, a five-stall horse barn and horse pasture.
- There are two houses on the property.
- 1928 brick bungalow, 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 1,686 square feet
- No date or number of bedrooms, 1 bathroom, 970 square feet
- Price/square foot (combined): $320
- 29.98 acres on two lots
- Listed July 22, 2022
- Last sale: one lot, $170,000, February 2019; the other, price not recorded on deed, May 1984
- Listing: “Two acre Spring fed pond, level land, a good amount already cleared. Property is right on city limits, and city water is right up to the property. …
- “There is a craftsman style home, with many upgrades, Roof, windows, etc, although needs some TLC. The second home on property is a charming cabin by the lake. It needs substantial updating … There are two entrances, the one on right facing property, a portion of drive encroaches on neighboring land.”
809 Church Street, Gibsonville, Guilford County
sale pending June 28, 2022
- 5 bedrooms, 2 2/12 bathrooms, 4,364 square feet, 16.28 acres
- Price/square foot: $143
- Built in 1904
- Listed June 3, 2022
- Last sale: $510,000. The property was bought in two transactions:
- $390,000, December 2018, for the lot containing the house and 2.6 acres
- $120,000, January 2019, for two adjoining parcels totaling 13.68 acres
- Note: The property includes a detached two-car garage with a studio apartment upstairs and an in-ground swimming pool and pool house.
- The three parcels have been combined into one.
- I haven’t been able to find anything on the history of this house, oddly. I’m still trying.
No current listings
Alamance, Caswell and Rockingham Counties
2522 Reid School Road, Reidsville, Rockingham County
sale pending August 13, 2022
- 3 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, 1,800 square feet, 63 acres
- Price/square foot: $528
- Built in 1910
- Listed June 22, 2022
- Last sale: July 1986, price unknown
- Note: There are two houses on the property. The other is an 1,800 square foot ranch built in 1947.
- Listing: “Price does not reflect house values or any guarantees of square footage or any components of the two houses.”
- “City water and sewer available nearby”
- The property includes at least six outbuildings.
- $850,000 (originally $975,000)
- 3 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, 1,852 square feet, 42 acres
- Price/square foot: $459
- Built in 1900
- Listed June 17, 2022
- Last sale: 1909 or earlier, price unknown
- Note: The house may have been built by farmer Amos Julius Richardson (1854-1938). In 1909 ownership passed to two of his children, eight-year-old Arthur Wilbert Richardson (1901-1983) and Daisy Richardson (1884-1971). Arthur’s son Ralph Gray Richardson (1933-2021) inherited the farm in 1983. It being sold by his heirs.
- Ralph was a graduate of Eli Whitney High School and Burlington Business College. He was a cattle and chicken farmer and also worked at Western Electric and the UNC-Chapel Hill public safety department. He was an Army veteran of the Korean War.
1734 Lick Fork Creek Road, Ruffin, Rockingham County
sale pending July 6, 2022
- $689,000 (originally $749,900)
- 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 2,806 square feet, 19.75 acres
- Price/square foot: $267
- Built in 1890
- Listed June 10, 2022
- Last sale: $244,000, September 2002
- Note: Formerly Pennini Vineyards, which grew vinifera grapes including Cabernet Franc, Syrah and Viogner.
- The property includes a guest cottage and an in-ground swimming pool.
641 Haw Road, Browns Summit, Rockingham County
sale pending June 3, 2022
- 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 2,361 square feet, 11.74 acres
- Price/square foot: $114
- Built in 1910
- Listed May 31, 2022
- Last sale: $500,000, November 2005 (see note below)
- Note: The property is in Rockingham County, although it has a Browns Summit mailing address.
- The disparity in price between 2005 and today results from this sale including only one of four tracts included in the previous sale.
- Listing: The property includes a barn and an unspecified number of ponds.
- Not owner-occupied
Stokes, Surry, Yadkin and Davie Counties
- $795,000 (originally $795,000, later $750,000)
- 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 1,268 square feet (per county), 140 acres
- Price/square foot: $627
- Built in 1915
- Listed May 25, 2022
- Last sale: $40,000, October 1978
- Note: “Fenced Pasture, 2200′ of frontage on the little Yadkin River, Streams, Old Smoke House, Cattle/Horse Barn, Egg House, Pack house, Tobacco Barn, (3) old chicken houses (great for storage), Hunting / Fishing – full of wildlife, 4Wheeling / Tubing & Camping, Bonus room can be 3rd Bedroom, Outbuildings in need of repair, Cropland land is currently leased, (4) parcels combined covering both Surry & Forsyth County.”
- The listing shows 1,960 square feet.
- The current owners bought the property from Robia Franklin Fulk (1916-2002) and Margarette Jones Fulk (1920-2002). After 64 years of marriage, the Fulks died eight months apart, Roby in March 2002 and Margarette in November 2002.
- $529,900 (originally $549,900)
- 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 2,318 square feet (per county), 35.83 acres (two tracts)
- Price/square foot: $229
- Built in 1903
- Listed June 1, 2022
- Last sale: $144,000, August 1999
- Note: The listing shows 2,482 square feet.
- “The exterior features a large in-ground saltwater pool possibly in need of a new liner. Numerous storage and outbuildings.”
- 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 3,251 square feet, 45.60 acres
- Price/square foot: $167
- Built in 1910
- Listed July 18, 2022
- Last sale: $
- Listing: “… needs TLC to restore its original majestic and stately beauty.”
- The property has a Mount Airy mailing address but is 11 miles northeast of town, almost to the state line north of Mount Herman.
2139 Quaker Church Road, Siloam, Surry County
sale pending June 6, 2022
- 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 1,857 square feet (per county), 14.27 acres
- Price/square foot: $215
- Built in 1924
- Listed May 30, 2022
- Last sale: $300,000, December 2020
- Note: The property includes a 40-by-60 shop with drive-through doors, an office, HVAC, loft storage and concrete floors; a barn with an airplane hanger, wash bays/pits, office, apartment with a kitchenette, full bath and garage.
- The house has replacement windows and vinyl siding.
- The listing shows 1,674 square feet.
Davidson, Randolph and Montgomery Counties
745 Lexington Road, Asheboro, Randolph County
sale pending May 9, 2022
- $1.8 million
- 5 bedrooms, 3 1/2 bathrooms, 5,509 square feet, 19.2 acres
- Price/square foot: $327
- Built in 1938
- Listed July 26, 2021
- Last sale: $1 million, June 2000
- Note: I haven’t been able to find a thing about the history of this place.
- $1.35 million
- 5 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 2,564 square feet, 152.17 acres
- Price/square foot: $527
- Built in 1901
- Listed June 6, 2022
- Last sale: $160,000, October 2014 (probably covers just one tract; the property consists of at least three)
- Note: It’s listed on Zillow as “Undisclosed Address,” but if you search for 467 E. Slate Mine Road, this is the property that comes up.
- Listing: “The property has a heated and cooled 70×45 Red Iron building with four 10×12 garage doors. The building also has a full kitchen and bath …”
- $450,000 (originally $500,000)
- 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 2,846 square feet, 10.0 acres
- Price/square foot: $158
- Built in 1910
- Listed June 11, 2022
- Last sale: $70,000, December 1989
- Note: The house has an attached garage.
- The listing implies the house needs renovation.
- “Looks like pine wood floors under carpet.”
1881 Old Greensboro Road, Thomasville, Davidson County
sale pending August 7, 2022
- 2 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, 1,201 square feet, 34.18 acres
- Price/square foot: $333
- Built in 1930
- Listed July 27, 2022
- Last sale: Unknown; the property has been in the Yokley-Shouns family since at least 1942.
- Note: Located west of town, between Thomasville and Welcome near Lake Thom-A-Lex.
- 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 1,397 square feet, 27.21 acres
- Price/square foot: $225
- Built in 1910
- Listed August 11, 2022
- Last sale: $153,000, June 2005
- Note: The interior and exterior have been renovated/homogenized with no respect for historic features or materials.
4452 Ramseur Julian Road, Trinity, Randolph County
sale pending August 3, 2022
- 2 bedrooms, 1 1/2 bathrooms, 1,442 square feet, 13.8 acres
- Price/square foot: $208
- Built in 1895
- Listed June 24, 2022
- Last sale: October 1978, price not recorded on deed
- Listing: “Detached Carport and Multiple Buildings To House All Your Farm Animals. This Unique Property Features an Old hardware Store with Tons of Storage Room and a Huge Barn.”