Updated August 23, 2026
Featured Listing
Greensboro, High Point and Guilford County
Winston-Salem and Forsyth County
Alamance, Caswell and Rockingham Counties and Nearby Areas
Stokes, Surry, Yadkin, and Davie Counties and Nearby Areas
Davidson, Randolph, Montgomery and Nearby Areas
guilford
Greensboro, High Point and Guilford County
305wbessemer
305 W. Bessemer Avenue, Greensboro
The Casper and Etta Stockard House
Sale pending August 5, 2026
- $1.099 million (originally $1.19 million, later $1.125 million)
- 4 bedrooms, 3 1/2 bathrooms, 3,362 square feet (per county), 0.25 acre
- Price/square foot: $327
- Built in 1922
- Listed March 10, 2026
- Last sales: $1.176 million, March 2024; $190,000, January 2019
- Neighborhood: Fisher Park Historic District (local and NR)
- Note: For some reason, online listings give the address as 305 W. Bessemer Avenue Lot 2, whatever that means.
- District NR nomination: “Germanic Revival, Residence, 1920-1925”
- The original owners were Caspar Wister “Tub” Stockard (1881-1942) and Etta Ridge Stockard (d. 1945). They bought the property in 1914 and were listed at the address in 1923. They sold the house in 1941.
- Casper was vice president of Rucker Warehouse Corp., but may have been better known for his work as a sports executive. He served as chairman of the boxing and wrestling commissions for both Greensboro and the state of North Carolina. In the 1920s he also was an owner of the Greensboro Patriots minor-league baseball team in the Piedmont League, serving as president, secretary-treasurer and business manager (his boss at his day job, Pierce Rucker, also served as team president at one point).
- Greensboro Daily News: “In the sport of wrestling, where there is enough rough stuff even at its best, Chairman Stockard recognized the difference between rough and dirty tactics and for the rough boys he had admiration and for the dirty ones, who didn’t come clean, he had fines and a sharp rebuke.”
- Casper attended Oak Ridge Military Academy and was a veteran of the Spanish-American War. He died after 10 years of declining health, less than a year after moving to a house nearby.
- The house has been gutted and renovated. The exterior isn’t dramatically changed from its original appearance (although the changes required remarkably long examination by the Greensboro Historic Preservation Commission). The hallmarks of Germanic Revival remain — mansard roof with dormers; symmetrical facade — balanced, formal front elevation with centered entrance; stucco exterior; dark shutters contrasting with light walls; arched entrance surround; multi-pane windows, including the distinctive divided-light windows in the dormers; and the overall massing and proportions.
- My architectural style consultant, whose name is Claude (doesn’t seem to have a last name), says, “The renovations have been respectful of the original character while giving it a fresh, contemporary aesthetic.” That’s what I thought, too.
- A 2017 photo:
632nelm
- $949,000 (originally $1.2 million)
- 4 apartments, bedrooms and bathrooms not specified, 4,105 square feet, 0.25 acre
- Price/square foot: $231
- Built in 1918
- Listed March 24, 2026
- Last sales: $199,500, February 2019 (foreclosure auction); $152,000, June 2002
- Neighborhood: Fisher Park
- Note: The house was divided into four apartments decades ago.
- The newly renovated apartments are furnished.
- The house was originally owned by Mozelle Olive Smith (1887-1984) and Robert Irvine Smith (1885-1920). Robert was a bookkeeper at American National Exchange Bank. He died of pneumonia during the flu epidemic of 1918-1920.
- Lunsford Richardson III (1891-1953) and H. Smith Richardson (1885-1972) owned the house from 1923-44. They were sons of Lunsford Richardson (1854-1919), inventor of Vicks Vapo-Rub. Lunsford lived there from 1923 until he built his home at Hillsdale Farm in 1929.
812dover
- $850,000
- 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, 2,494 square feet (per county, see note), 0.31 acre
- Price/square foot: $341
- Built in 1928
- Listed August 12, 2026
- Last sales: $700,000, May 2026; $65,000, May 1974
- Neighborhood: Irving Park
- Note: The photos above are from the April 2026 listing. Compare it to the photos with the current listing, and see if you can tell what justifies a price 21 percent higher than the seller paid four months previously. Aside from a bit of landscaping, the house appears to be in essentially the same condition it was in April.
- Online listings show 3,004 square feet.
- The house is a well detailed Tudor cottage with brick and stucco walls. Most of the front windows are casement. Dormers sit atop the wings; one has the only double-hung window on the front elevation. An arched hood and doorway lead to a batten door with strap hinges and diamond-paned, leaded-glass window.
- The original owner was Madeline Stafford White (1896-1983). She bought the property in July 1928, three months after the death of her husband, Leonard White (1894-1928). Leonard had been chief associate of prominent Greensboro architect Harry Barton. He was a veteran of World War I. His tragic death, after a period of illness, was front-page news in the Greensboro Daily News, reported in the straightforward manner of the time.
- Madeline was living in the house by 1929. She worked as the manager of the Junior League Shop. In 1943, she married Lt. Col. Reginald Van Trump Waters (1887-1980). A Realtor in civilian life, he was a veteran of World Wars I and II. Madeline sold the house in 1944.
- Jack A. Cheek (1917-2007) and Katherine Whittier Kearns Cheek (1919-2002) bought the house in 1944. After a divorce, Katherine lived in the house until selling it in 1974. Jack was a certified public accountant and owned Cheek & Company Wholesale Grocers.
- Katherine sold the house to Ronald H. Davis (1932-2019) and Parke B. Davis. Ronald worked in personnel for Ford Motor Company in Detroit and Reynolds Metals in Richmond before coming to Greensboro to work for Gilbarco. He later served as vice president for administration for Carolina Steel Corporation. Parke Davis sold the house in May 2026.
209wbessemer
209 W. Bessemer Avenue, Greensboro
The Edward and Elizabeth Wills House
Listing withdrawn December 1, 2025; relisted December 5, 2025
Sale pending December 17, 2025, to January 21, 2026
Listing withdrawn January 21, 2026
Relisted April 11, 2026
- $724,000 (originally $875,000, later $795,000)
- 4 bedrooms, 3 1/2 bathrooms, 3,412 square feet, 0.30 acre
- Price/square foot: $212
- Built in 1924
- Listed August 29, 2025
- Last sales: $679,900, June 2021; $230,000, July 1996
- Neighborhood: Fisher Park Historic District (local and NR)
- Note: The property includes an in-ground pool, an amenity rarely found in historic districts (the 2021 listing said it was a saltwater pool), also a freshwater spa and a koi pond.
- The listing calls Fisher Park Greensboro’s oldest neighborhood. It’s not. College Hill is the city’s oldest neighborhood. It’s always a good idea to deal with real-estate agents who actually know what they’re talking about.
- District NR nomination: “Col Rev foursquare, 1920-25, E.S. Wills, Pres., Wills Book Stationary Co; VP, Gboro Real Estate Bd, Sec/trs, Matheson-Wills Real Estate Co”
- Edward Swain Wills (1874-1947) and Elizabeth Crawford Wills (1888-1978) were listed at the address in 1924, the first year it appeared in the city directory. They lost the house to foreclosure in 1934 but were able to buy a house in Westerwood just a few months later. When Edward died, they were living at 309 McIver Street, a location that is now part of the Sullivan Science Building at UNC Greensboro.
- Edward started Wills Book & Stationery downtown in 1904 after working for the Cape Fear & Yadkin Valley Railroad. It survived well into the ’90s, then located at Four Seasons mall. The company also had at least one store out of town for many years, in Raleigh at the North Hills Shopping Center. He operated his real estate business from 1917 to 1943, in partnership with Junius Matheson, former professor of education at the N.C. College for Women, until Matheson’s death in 1929.
- Edward was a charter member of Grace Methodist Church and served as choir director for 30 years. He was a 27-year member of the local Red Cross board.
1606west
1606 West End Place, Greensboro
The Morris-Haynes House
Listing withdrawn May 21, 2026; relisted June 8, 2026
Sale pending August 20, 2026
- $694,000 (originally $739,000)
- 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 2,473 square feet (per county), 0.19 acre
- Price/square foot: $281
- Built in 1926 (county records say 1933; see note)
- Listed March 15, 2024
- Last sale: $699,000, April 2024; $295,000, November 20, 2023
- Neighborhood: College Park
- Note: The owners’ address is listed in Carmel, Indiana.
- The address was first listed in the city directory in 1926 with Dewey Madison Morris (1898-1937) and Addie R. Morris (1902-1992) as residents. Dewey had come to Greensboro in 1920 from Spray, where he worked for Carolina Cotton and Woolen Mills. He was city auditor and chief of the Accounting Department until 1926, after which he organized the State Industrial Bank and served as vice-president and cashier until 1931. He later headed the district office of Hogart Manufacturing Company. At the age of 38, he died on a trip to Raleigh “of what the coroner reported apparently was an attack of acute indigestion.”
- Dewey and Addie had lost the house to foreclosure in 1932. In 1936 Conrad Bryan Haynes (1896-1976) and Mary Belle Smith Haynes (1903-1992) bought the house and owned it for the rest of their lives. Haynes was a salesman for Rabb-Smith Company, a store that sold appliances, radios, sporting goods, toys and games.
- Mary’s heir sold the house in 1994.
2400spring

2400 Spring Garden Street, Greensboro
The Joseph and Rose Moore House
- $599,000 (originally $619,999)
- 5 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, 2,910 square feet (per county), 0.40 acre
- Price/square foot: $206
- Built in 1906
- Listed December 26, 2023
- Last sale: $347,000, February 2024; $47,000, March 2005
- Neighborhood: Lindley Park
- Note: For sale by owner. The price wouldn’t be a surprise if the house were a block or two over into Lindley Park. But this home’s location is on a high-traffic street, adjacent to a small business district and next door to a down-market 1961 brick apartment house.
- The 2024 listing showed 4 bedrooms and 2 1/2 bathrooms.
- The house is at the corner of Spring Garden and Northridge streets. Old deeds refer to them by their original names, Pomona Road and Oak Street.
- The original owners were Joseph Shaw Moore (1866-1949) and Rose Tracy Moore (1871-1945). He was the owner of J.S. Moore & Company, a wholesale lumber dealer. Joseph was a native of Caswell County; he moved to Greensboro around 1886. He also worked for Odell Hardware and Sergeants Foundry and in real estate. By 1920, the Moores had moved.
- In 1937, the house was bought by Lillian Maude Young McClam (1887-1975). It remained in her family for 68 years. Lillian’s husband had died in 1929. She was a piano teacher. The house had either been converted into a duplex, or Lillian divided it around that time.
- In 1939 she sold a 50 percent interest to her sister Nell Young Miller (1901-1994) and brother-in-law Bruce Butler Miller (1898-1975). Nell and Bruce’s granddaughter sold the house in 2005.
609magnolia
609 Magnolia Street, Greensboro
The Reece-Morton House
Sale pending April 5-7, 2026
Sale pending May 8, 2026
No longer under contract May 17, 2026
- $599,000
- 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 2,249 square feet, 0.09 acre
- Price/square foot: $266
- Built in 1917
- Listed April 3, 2026
- Last sales: $350,000, June 2018; $305,000, June 2014
- Neighborhood: Fisher Park Historic District (local and NR)
- Note: The house was the model for “Nonie’s House” at the Miriam P. Brenner Children’s Museum.
- District NR nomination: “Large gable-end bungalow with sweeping asymmetrical front gable and balcony that give it a chalet-like appearance.”
- The address first appears in the city directory in 1917 with Francis Prescott “Frank” Morton (1860-1924) and Juanita Robertson Morton (1874-1960) listed as residents. They lived in the house for the rest of their lives, for Juanita, 43 years. Frank was office manager for Royal Blue Transportation.
- Frank and Juanita rented the house. It was sold twice that year, the second time to Juanita’s widowed aunt, Euphia Alice McMurray Reece (1852-1931). Alice lived elsewhere. She died in 1931, but the house remained in her name and Juanita continued to live there. After her death in 1960, Frank and Juanita’s son John Reece Morton (1899-1994) assumed ownership. He sold the house in 1962.
- John was a prominent Greensboro business owner, founder of Morton Chemical Company. It produced products for the petroleum, plastics and rubber industries. It was acquired by Pfizer in 1957.
613douglas
613 Douglas Street, Greensboro
- $265,000 (originally $285,000)
- 5 bedrooms, 2 1/2 bathrooms, 2,756 square feet, 0.28 acre
- Price/square foot: $96
- Built circa 1907
- Listed May 26, 2026
- Last sale: $140,000, October 2006
- Neighborhood: Asheboro Community, South Greensboro Historic District (NR)
- Note: Out-of-state owner
- District NR nomination: District NR nomination: “Queen Anne, residence, 1905-10, Intact QA house featuring: stepped-back facade; hip & cross-gable roof; porch with balusters, brackets, turned posts; weatherboard cladding; shingled gables.”
- Although county records give a 1900 date, the address doesn’t appear in the city directory until 1907. The original residents were Edwin B. Hodgin (1860-1922) and Rachel Rodema Hockett Hodgin (1866-1944). Edwin worked for the post office as a letter carrier.
- By 1913, Joseph Alson Davidson (1856-1917) and Sallie Elizabeth Miller Davdson (1870-1970) were living in the house. They owned it until 1945. Joseph was a prominent figure, serving on the county board of commissioners for 19 years. He was chairman for several years. They previously lived in Gibsonville, where Joseph was secretary-treasurer of the Minneola cotton mill. At the end of his life he was working for Southern Power Company.
- Sallie continued to live in the house with their seven children. Their eldest son, Joseph Miller Davidson (1896-1923) was a pharmacist. He died at age 27 when he was hit by a train.
- In 1960 the house was bought by brothers William Kellam Oden (1903-1993) and Daniel Glenn Oden (1907-1968), who operated a real-estate company. They used the property as a rental. It was sold in 2006.
Forsyth-house
Winston-Salem and Forsyth County
1025west
1025 West End Boulevard, Winston-Salem
The Frank and Fannie Benbow House
Listing withdrawn September 30, 2025; relisted May 12, 2026;
Listing withdrawn June 29, 2026
Relisted July 28, 2026
- $795,000 (originally $809,800, later as high as $828,000 and as low as $785,000)
- Single-family home divided into five apartments, bedrooms and bathrooms not specified, 3,628 square feet, 0.25 acre
- Price/square foot: $219
- Built in 1920 (per county, but probably a few years earlier; see note)
- Listed March 20, 2025
- Last sale: $14,000, March 1983
- Neighborhood: West End Historic District (local and NR)
- Note: The listing says there are five apartments, but photos show six mailboxes and six electric meters.
- District NR nomination: “The Benbow House is a large, two-story frame, Colonial Revival dwelling. It has a gabled roof with cornice returns, gabled dormers, a left front projecting bay, a central entrance with sidelights and transom, and a front porch with Tuscan columns, a full entablature, and a pedimented entrance bay.
“The south bay of the porch has been enclosed, a second story has been added to the original one-story rear wing, and the house has been sheathed with asbestos shingles — probably all during mid century. These changes, however, have not destroyed the positive contribution the house makes to the overall character of the neighborhood. - “Attorney Frank A. Benbow [a typo in the National Register nomination — actually Frank B. Benbow] acquired the property in 1915, and the following year he and his wife, Fannie, were listed at this location in the city directory. The Benbow family owned and occupied the house until 1939.” Frank and Fannie were both from Yadkin County. Fannie Mae Martin Benbow was a graduate of Salem College. Before coming to Winston-Salem in 1914, Franklin Byron Benbow (1968-1945) served in the N.C. House of Representatives from Yadkin County. He practiced law in Winston-Salem until his death.
- The city directory shows five apartments in the house beginning in 1956.
- District NR nomination: “The Benbow House is a large, two-story frame, Colonial Revival dwelling. It has a gabled roof with cornice returns, gabled dormers, a left front projecting bay, a central entrance with sidelights and transom, and a front porch with Tuscan columns, a full entablature, and a pedimented entrance bay.
7198spring
7198 Spring Hill Road, Lewisville, Forsyth County
Sale pending May 11, 2026
No longer under contract May 23, 2026
- $575,000
- 3 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, 1,440 square feet, 8.63 acres (3 lots)
- Price/square foot: $399
- Built in 1798
- Listed April 16, 2026
- Last sale: $150,000, July 2002
- Neighborhood: “in the heart of Lewsville”
- Note: The property includes an outdoor kitchen.
- For a house so old, remarkably little information about it exists online. It has no national or local historic designation and no owner’s name attached to it. Even the Lewisville Historical Society’s list of historic properties doesn’t mention it.
- The house was owned from 1962 to 2002 by Bernie Lee Stultz (1925-1997) and Ann Hardy Stultz (1926-2022). Bernie was a World War II veteran of the Navy. Both were department-store managers. Bernie worked for Sears for 40 years. He was a member of the Antique Dealers Association and dealt in antiques and art. Ann worked for more than 40 years for Davis department stores in Winston-Salem. She sold the house to its current owners.
8066broad
8066 Broad Street, Rural Hall, Forsyth County
Sale pending August 19, 2026
- $399,900 (originally $437,500)
- 3 bedrooms, 2 1/2 bathrooms, 3,460 square feet, 0.36 acre
- Price/square foot: $116
- Built in 1886
- Listed May 28, 2026
- Last sales: $310,000, March 2022; $15,000, August 1976
- Note: An unusually formal and monumental home distinguished by its grand two-story portico and wide wrap-around porch.
- The earliest known owners were Dr. Solomon Spainhour Flynt (1860-1933) and James Calvin Moser (1860-1948). Dr. Spainhour was a longtime physician in the community and a prominent farmer. He was an organizer of the Rural Hall chapter of the Progressive Farmer club in 1887. James was also a prominent local farmer. Whether either of them lived in the house is unknown.
- They sold the property in 1898 to William Edwin Stauber (1869-1953). All three were more or less related to each other. One of William’s sisters was Solomon Flynt’s wife, and Stauber was the maiden name of James Moser’s mother.
- William Stauber and his descendants owned the house for 78 years, selling it in 1976. William Stauber was a prominent figure in Rural Hall. He was a partner in a stable from 1902 to 1906. He then entered the veneer business for the rest of his life.
- By 1928, he and his son Leslie Edwin Stauber (1903-1996) had founded the Rural Hall Veneer Company. He owned the first automobile in Rural Hall, and he was conspicuously notable in his final years for traveling to and from his office on a short private railroad that he and Leslie built. At the age of 84, he died at his desk in the office. Leslie’s son, Leslie Jr., sold the house in 1976.
1720elizabeth
1720 Elizabeth Avenue, Winston-Salem
The Zebulon and Lowrey Richardson House
- $385,000 (originally $400,000)
- 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 1,765 square feet, 0.17 acre
- Price/square foot: $218
- Built in 1924
- Listed March 20, 2026
- Last sales: $155,000, November 2010; $148,000, March 2005; $103,000, May 1998
- Neighborhood: Ardmore Historic District (NR)
- District NR nomination: “Craftsman Bungalow. One and a half story; side gable; monitor-like upper story; front gable porch with short, paired, square posts on brick piers; brick balustrade curves down from piers; nine-over-one (lower) and groups of four, six-over-one (upper), double-hung sash; knee braces.”
- The address first appeared in the city directory in 1925 with Zebulon Vance Richardson (1893-1948) and Janie Maurice Lowrey Richardson (1895-1962) listed as residents. Zebulon was a clerk at R.J. Reynolds. After Zebulon died, Lowrey became a corsetiere. She continued to live in the house until around 1955.
1444w4th
1444 W. 4th Street, Winston-Salem
Sale pending May 13, 2026
No longer under contract June 30, 2026
- $380,000 (originally $415,000)
- 5 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, 2,254 square feet, 0.23 acre
- Price/square foot: $169
- Built in 1925
- Listed October 2, 2025
- Last sales: $425,000, March 2024; $130,000, April 2023
- Neighborhood: Wachovia Highlands
- Note: Extremely few houses are listed for sale these days below the price the seller paid. For some reason, this is one.
- Owned by an out-of-town LLC rental company. The house has been sold five times among four LLCs since 1999.
4798pfaff
4798 Pfaff Lane, Pfafftown, Forsyth County
The John Henry Pfaff House
Sale pending April 27 to May 29, 2025
Sale pending February 15, 2026
No longer under contract April 6, 2026
- $378,900 (originally $415,000, later $388,400 )
- 3 bedrooms, 2 1/2 bathrooms, 2,736 square feet, 0.58 acre
- Price/square foot: $138
- Built in 1904 (per county property records)
- Listed March 16, 2025
- Last sales: $339,900, June 2022; $166,500, February 1997
- Note: Forsyth County Historic Landmark, qualifying for a property-tax reduction of up to 50 percent.
- “It is a fine example of traditional, vernacular houses built in the Piedmont during the early 20th century,” the county’s description of the house says. “It is a two-story frame dwelling with an L-shaped configuration and Colonial Revival detailing. The house features a brick foundation and weatherboard siding.
- “The gabled roof is pierced by interior brick chimneys. A one-story, gable-roof rear ell projects westward from the northwest corner of the house. The windows are two-over-two sash, and most have the original wood louvered shutters.
- “On the front façade of the house, a shed-roof porch supported by Tuscan columns covers the three-bay façade and wraps around the projecting left front wing. The central entrance is composed of a pair of glass-and-wood paneled doors.
- “At the southwest corner of the property stands a frame granary that was probably constructed around the same time as the house.”
- John Henry Pfaff (1858-1949) was the great grandson of Peter Pfaff (1724-1804), the town’s namesake. After working in stores in Winston-Salem and Bethania, John Henry came home and opened a store of his own in 1891. It operated until 1972 at the corner of Yadkinville Road and Pfaff Lane.
- “Pfaff’s store sold groceries, general merchandise, sewing machines, watches and clocks, gasoline, Goodyear tires, Ford automobile parts, and Johnson Harvester machinery, such as reapers, mowing machines, hay rakes, and plows. Highly esteemed in the community and known for his benevolent spirit and deeds, Pfaff operated his store until the mid 1940s, a few years before his death” at age 91.
- Late in life, he was faced with choosing between two daughters, who didn’t get along, to inherit the house. Brilliantly, he left it to his sons to decide after his death. It would be interesting to know how the brothers felt about their sisters; from their Solomon-like decision, it’s impossible to tell.
- “They had the property resurveyed, with a dividing line running through the center hall of the house. Louise received the portion of the house located north of the line, while Anna received the part south of the line.” How well the arrangement suited the sisters isn’t documented, but it lasted for 34 years, until both died in 1983.
- The property was left to Louise’s children (Anna was unmarried). In 1988, they sold it to new owners who restored it.
2842npatterson
2842 N. Patterson Avenue, Winston-Salem
The Roy and Ellen Hauser House
- $224,900
- 5 bedrooms, 2 1/2 bathrooms, 2,622 square feet, 0.26 acre
- Price/square foot: $86
- Built in 1924
- Listed August 13, 2026
- Last sales: $47,500, January 2019; $30,000, June 2013
- Neighborhood: Bon Air
- Note: The original owners were Roy Marvin Hauser (1900-1970) and Ellen Odessa Owen Hauser (1906-1997). They were listed at the address in 1926, the first year it was listed in the city directory. Roy operated the Hauser-Moser Grocery, Seed & Feed Company and later Roy Hauser’s Seed, Feed & Grocery. Roy and Ellen sold the house in 1965.
- Roy was the last of 12 children born to his parents. Incredibly, the first 10 were boys (William Henry, Luther Wright, Oliver Franklin, Ernest Gray, Hubert Claudius, Robert Nathaniel, Ira Otis, Thomas Cyrus, Gideon Clay, and Squire Elmer).
alamance
Alamance, Caswell and Rockingham Counties and Nearby Areas
309nmaple
309 N. Maple Avenue, Graham, Alamance County
The Holt-Clapp House
- $575,000
- 3 bedrooms, 2 1/2 bathrooms, 2,833 square feet, 0.44 acre
- Price/square foot: $203
- Built ca. 1860
- Listed August 15, 2026
- Last sale: $470,000, August 2024
- Neighborhood: North Main Street Historic District (NR)
- Note: The property has an in-ground swimming pool that it didn’t have when it was sold two years ago.
- County records date the house only to 1900, but other records are in agreement on a mid-1800s date.
- District NR nomination: “The historic district features large dwellings erected for the leading businessmen, doctors, and industrialists in Graham, as well as smaller houses for tradesmen. Many of the residences are sited on spacious lots with mature shade trees and boxwoods, and epitomize nationally popular architectural styles of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.
- “Two houses in the district, the Holt-Clapp House and the Kernodle House, date from Graham’s formative era of the mid-nineteenth century. …
- “This vernacular Italianate house, apparently built about 1860, is one of the oldest houses in Graham. Its deep front yard sets it apart from adjacent dwellings.
- “The two-story, three-bay house has such Italianate features as a hip roof with overhanging eaves, tall slender sash windows of nine-over-nine and nine-over-six on the facade and six-over-six and six-over-four flanking the gable end chimney, as well as a front door with arched lights and a hipped front porch with chamfered posts, sawnwork brackets and a sawnwork balustrade.
- “The design may have been influenced by the books of Romantic architect A.J. Downing. His associate A.J. Davis designed a dwelling for the Holt family, local industrialists, in the nearby countryside, which may have influenced the stylistic features of this house. At the rear is a one story ell. The house is covered with aluminum siding [now removed].
- “According to Durward Stokes, either Joseph J. Holt or his son Rev. John H. Holt built this house in the mid-1800s. They owned a large tract of land in this area.
- “Later owners were Peter and J.W. Harden and the Reitzel famiy. In 1905 William and Ella Clapp purchased the house. They were living here with their daughters Blanche, Ida, Lee and Nettie on ‘Maple nr. Main’ in 1910. William was a foreman at Scott-Mebane Manufacturing Company.”
- The family of William Franklin Rhinehart Clapp (1860-1944) and Ella Foust Clapp (1957-1949) owned the house for 113 years, selling it in 2018. The 1905 deed was written in Ella’s name alone; it identified her by name and as “wife of W.F.R. Clapp.”
912wdavis
912 W. Davis Avenue, Burlington, Alamance County
Sale pending August 17, 2026
- $525,000
- 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, 2,851 square feet, 0.43 acre
- Price/square foot: $184
- Built in 1935 (per county, but possibly a bit later; see note)
- Listed August 13, 2026
- Last sales: $472,000, August 2022; $243,000, May 2011
- Neighborhood: West Davis Street-Fountain Place Historic District (local and NR)
- Note: The property includes includes a two-car garage with a distinctive upstairs room, a garden shed with loft, a brick patio and raised garden beds.
- District NR nomination: “Sanborn maps and city directories indicate a late 1930s construction date for this two-story frame Colonial Revival ‘Period House’ which features a gambrel roof, a full-facade shed dormer, and a brick exterior end chimney,
- “The central bay of the three-bay facade is a sidelighted entrance framed by a one-story porch with pedimented gable roof on slender square posts.
- “The house has several rear additions and has been altered by the installation of aluminum siding.”
421wmain
421 W. Main Street, Danville, Virginia
The James and Nell Hamlin House
- $446,900 (originally $499,900)
- 4 bedrooms, 3 full bathrooms and 2 half-bathrooms, 2,995 square feet (per city records), 0.19 acre
- Price/square foot: $149
- Built circa 1927
- Listed January 22, 2026
- Last sales: $225,000, September 2025; May 1963, price unavailable
- Note: Quick flip — caveat emptor.
- The driveway comes out around the corner on College Avenue; this house is one property away from the corner.
- Something to ask about: The listing doesn’t say the house has central air conditioning (it didn’t when it was last sold). It says, “Has cooling” and “Cooling: Ceiling fan(s)”.
- The house does now have replacement windows, a typical house-flipper mistake.
- The listing claims the house is 27 percent larger than tax records show (3,804 square feet vs. 2,995).
- The original owners were James Turner Hamlin Jr. (1894-1974) and Ellen Chester “Nell” Davis Hamlin (1900-1984). They lived in the house from around 1929 until around 1947.
- James was a veteran of both world wars, retiring with the rank of lieutenant colonel. He and his father operated Hamlin & Hamlin, a wholesale confectionary business. Senior lived next door at 419. Nell was a graduate of Greensboro College. She was a member of the Wednesday Club and the Shakespeare Study Club.
- Junior was also president of the Herb Juice Penol Company, which sold patent-medicine laxatives called Hamlin’s Pow-O-Lin and Miller’s Herb Juice. In addition to whatever herbs they might have contained, they were 11 percent alcohol. The American Medical Association’s Bureau of Investigations tested them and described them as “essentially a water-alcohol solution of plant extractives flavored with licorice.” They weren’t surprised that people felt better after drinking the stuff.
512wfront
512 W. Front Street, Burlington, Alamance County
The Annie and Nida Webster House
Sale pending August 3, 2026
- $415,000
- 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 2,527 square feet, 0.21 acre
- Price/square foot: $164
- Built in 1915
- Listed June 26, 2026
- Last sale: $220,000, July 2021
- Neighborhood: West Davis Street-Fountain Place Historic District (local and NR)
- Note: The sellers have restored some of the historical character of the home by removing some metal awnings.
- The original owners appear to have been sisters Annie Gibson Webster (1876-1969) and Nida H. Webster (1878-1967). They bought the property in 1914 and owned it for 55 years. Their mother, Elizabeth C. “Lizzie” Gibson Webster (1845-1934) lived with them. Their father, farmer Charles Francis Webster (1842-1913), had died of typhoid fever about a year earlier. Charles and Lizzie had lived near Swepsonville. His lyrical obituary in the North Carolina Christian Advocate is worth reading.
- Nida was a millinery worker. Annie was a school teacher in the Burlington city schools, “one of the most beloved teachers in Burlington’s history. She came to Burlington Graded School on Broad Street and taught for 50 years.” The house was sold in 1969 after Annie died.
- District NR nomination: “Altered by the use of aluminum siding and a more modern porch treatment, this two-story frame structure is derived from the early twentieth century Colonial Revival style.
- “The house features a square configuration topped by a hip roof extending to gables over side bays and with a central facade bay. The sidelighted entrance in the left bay of the two-bay facade is framed by Tuscan columns on brick piers joined by a wrought-iron railing [now replaced by a more historically appropriate wooden balustrade].”
815smain
815 S. Main Street, Reidsville, Rockingham County
The McCargo-Burton House
- $409,000 (originally $429,000)
- 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, 3,176 square feet, 0.29 acre
- Price/square foot: $129
- Built in 1929
- Listed May 11, 2026
- Last sale: $60,000, August 1976
- Neighborhood: Old Post Road Historic District (local), Reidsville Historic District (NR)
- Note: The house has had only three owners in 97 years.
- District NR nomination: “Built in 1929 for attorney Walter R. McCargo, this two-story, brick-veneer Georgian Revival house was later owned by Claude S. Burton, president and owner of Burton Lines, Inc., a local tobacco hauler directly involved with American Tobacco Co. transportation.
- “The double-pile residence features a high hipped roof with a hip dormer, a five-bay facade with two windows on each side of the entrance, and a one-story sunroom on the south elevation. The entrance is framed by a one-story porch; slender paired classical columns support its flat roof which has a decorative balustrade joined by square posts.”
- Curiously, when the McCargos sold the house in 1932, the deed listed only Linda Rand Burton (1909-1985) as the new owner with no mention of her husband, Claude Shreve Burton (1907-1971). A wife listed as sole owner wasn’t unknown at the time, but it was uncommon. Linda sold the house in 1976 to attorney Robert Lee Watt III (1946-2012) and Freda Drewry Watt, who is now selling it.
504wwebb
504 W. Webb Avenue, Burlington, Alamance County
The John and Flora Brooks House
- $399,900 (originally $449,900)
- 5 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 2,745 square feet, 0.39 acre
- Price/square foot: $146
- Built circa 1890 (see note)
- Listed June 14, 2026
- Last sale: $125,000, July 2018
- Neighborhood: At the corner of West Webb Avenue and Brooks Street.
- Note: The listing calls the house “a wildly successful airbnb.”
- The listing says the house “purportedly was built in 1890,” which evidence suggests may be more likely than the 1910 date in county property records.
- A 1983 inventory of Burlington’s historic resources notes “the stylistic explosion that first occurred here in the early 1890s as numerous large and well articulated Queen Anne and Colonial Revival or Neoclassical style houses were built for the city’s business and professional leaders. … Dr. J.H. Brooks House (504 West Webb Avenue at [Brooks] Street) … display[s] transitional elements indicating the increasing importance of the Colonial Revival or Neoclassical style, with pedimented gables and Tuscan porch columns enhancing irregular forms and rooflines.”
- The inventory and the State Historic Preservation Office associate the house with John H. Brooks, DDS (1865-1932). He was a “pioneer influential professional businessman,” his obituary in the Greensboro Daily News said. He practiced in Burlington for 35 years and also served on the boards of First National Bank, Bank of Commerce and May Hosiery Mills.
- Online deeds and city directories are full of hints about the history of the house, but few clear facts. John and his wife Flora Sellars Brooks (1867-1935) probably bought the property in 1903 from one of her brothers. Deeds show them buying a property in 1897 and two more in 1903, but descriptions of the properties are too vague to identify the specific locations for sure. One of the 1903 deeds, however, references the N.C.R.R. track; there’s a railroad track across the street from this house, the clearest hint among the deeds suggesting this is the likely one. The house was by Flora’s estate in 1939.
- City directories from 1909-10 onward show John and Flora at 410 Park Avenue, which appears to have been the name of Webb Avenue, or at least this part of Webb Avenue. A 1976 deed describes the property as being on South Park Avenue at Brooks Street. Today, Park Avenue is on the other side of the railroad tracks from Webb Avenue.
- The original owner of the house may have been an even more prominent Alamance County business figure. The 1903 deed refers to the property as previously being owned by James H. Holt (and as “the Worth lot”). Presumably, the reference is to James Henry Holt (1833-1897), a leading member of Alamance County’s prominent family of textile mill owners and bankers. He was the founder of the Carolina Cotton Mills in 1867 and of Glencoe Mills in 1880. He also helped five of his sons start mills. James and his wife, Laura Cameron Moore Holt (1835-1901), had eight sons and four daughters. He had nine siblings himself.
- “He was a gentleman of superior business qualifications and with these, coupled with industry and frugality, Mr. Holt acquired a comfortable fortune,” The North Carolinian of Raleigh reported in his obituary.
521patrick
521 Patrick Street, Eden, Rockingham County
The James and Allie Ivie House
Listing withdrawn June 2, 2025; relisted June 6, 2025
Listing withdrawn January 1, 2026; relisted January 25, 2026
Sale pending April 18, 2026
No longer under contract May 4, 2026
- $399,000 (originally $479,000)
- 3 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, 3,279 square feet, 0.50 acre
- Price/square foot: $122
- Built in 1904
- Listed December 22, 2024
- Last sale: $155,000, September 1998
- Neighborhood: Central Leaksville Historic District (NR)
- District NR nomination: “An unusual entrance bay evocative of a three-stage tower reflects the roots of the design of this house in the Queen Anne style; the polygonal bay’s symmetrical central placement also reveals the strong influence of the Colonial Revival style.
- “In contrast to the regular, blocky massing of the imposing two-story frame house, somewhat whimsical details characterize the entrance bay: a small window marks each of the three sides of the bay at the second story, and at the attic level a polygonal roof, repeating the shape of the bay just below, surmounts a dormer and a short, open recess resembling a balcony.
- “On the first floor of the carefully preserved interior, large rooms with high ceilings open off of a wide center hall with a curving staircase.”
- The house was built by Theresa Jane Jones Hopper (1839-1923), proprietor of the Hopper Hotel in downtown Leaksville, for her daughter, Allie Hopper Ivie (1875-1945), and son-in-law, James William Ivie. James operated a general merchandise store and livery stable on Washington Street with his brother, Robert Henry Ivie.
- “The Ivies remained in the house until 1929, after which it was rental property until it was sold to Mrs. John Benton Field in 1935. She sold it in 1943 to furniture store owner Philip Wall and his wife, who remained in the house until Mr. Wall’s death in 1975.”
916wdavis
916 W. Davis Street, Burlington. Alamance County
The Moses Jackson Hunt House
- $364,900 (originally $399,000)
- 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 2,262 square feet, 0.43 acre
- Price/square foot: $161
- Built in 1892
- Listed March 17, 2026
- Last sale: $147,900, December 2017
- Neighborhood: West Davis Street-Fountain Place Historic District (local and NR)
- Note: Online listings for some reason refer to an “inviting two-story porch” that doesn’t appear to exist.
- The house was originally owned by a great-grandfather of Gov. Jim Hunt. (Online for-sale listings say it was the home of his grandfather, who would have been 23 when the house was built. It’s possible he did live there, but it’s certain that his great-grandfather did.)
- Rev. Moses Jackson Hunt (1824-1901) was a well-known Methodist minister, one of the oldest in North Carolina when he died. His death was widely reported around the state. He and Sarah Jane Baxter Hunt (1838-1929) had 10 children, including Jim’s grandfather William Baker Hunt Sr. (1869-1956). The youngest of William’s seven children was Jim’s father, James Baxter Hunt Sr. (1911-2003).
- District NR nomination: “One of the small group of pre-1900 houses on West Davis Street, this traditional structure was built circa 1892 for Reverend Moses Jackson Hunt, a Methodist minister.
- “The two-story frame residence features a single-pile, central hall plan, a side gable roof with a central facade gable, and Victorian interior details. A one-story porch with turned and sawn ornament is the dominant feature of the simple facade.
- “Aluminum siding alters the original appearance of the structure, and several rear additions have changed its basic configuration.”
190broad
190 Broad Street, Milton, Caswell County (also here)
The Jones House
MLS listing withdrawn June 17, 2026, still listed with Preservation North Carolina
- $289,000 (originally $400,000)
- 5 bedrooms, 2 1/2 bathrooms, 2,543 square feet, 0.29 acre
- Price/square foot: $114
- Built in 1850
- Listed April 10, 2025
- Last sale: $25,000, March 2021
- Neighborhood: Milton Historic District (NR)
- Note: The house is now a short-term rental.
- Listing: “Interior boasts late Federal trim attributed to the renowned Thomas Day workshop. … This home is held under protective covenants held by Preservation North Carolina with Historic Preservation Agreement in place.”
- Restored by the current owners: “When the couple closed on the house in March 2021, it was a total disaster. Years of neglect and abandonment resulted in gaping holes in the roof and walls, allowing rainwater to flow in, steadily eroding the structural integrity of the home. …
- “The Jones House required drastic renovation not just to repair the obvious damage, but careful historic restoration with oversight from Preservation North Carolina to ensure that the home was returned to a state as historically accurate as possible.
- “‘It’s actually kind of frustrating that people are going to come through this house and not realize that it has been totally renovated, because all they’re going to see is original woodwork moldings and just think it’s always looked like this when, in actuality, so much of it had to be carefully put back together,’ [owner Nancy Keeler] said.” (Hyco Lake Magazine, March 2022)
- An Inventory of Historic Architecture: Caswell County, North Carolina, p. 219: “Jones House, 1st half of 19th century. 2-story frame house with exterior end brick chimneys, of late Federal or Greek Revival vintage but considerably remodeled by the addition of bracketed eaves and an ornate Queen Anne style front porch, with an unusually fine cross-gable bargeboard.”
511boone
511 Boone Road, Eden, Rockingham County
The Knight House
- $275,000 (originally $289,900)
- 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 1,900 square feet, acreage not listed in county records
- Price/square foot: $145
- Built in 1919 (per NRHP, probably correct) or 1930 (county records)
- Listed June 24, 2026
- Last sales: $200,000 on October 29, 2021; $37,500, February 1990
- Neighborhood: Leaksville, Boone Road Historic District (NR)
- Note: The listing says the house has central air conditioning, but the photos show at least two upstairs bedrooms with window AC units.
- District NR nomination: “Another excellent intact example of a Foursquare style dwelling, this two-and-one-half story house was constructed in 1919 for a Mr. Knight who moved to Leaksville from Ridgeway; by the late 1920s it was occupied by garage operator T.A. Williams.
- “The unaltered two-bay wide, double-pile house is covered with a hip roof from which a hip-roof dormer projects.
- “The house is notable for a latticed first-floor window on the north (side) elevation; the upper second-story window sashes featuring numerous small panes around a single large pane; multi-pane sidelights flanking the main entrance; and for the handsome random course stone retaining wall which defines the front yard.” The descriptions of the windows don’t appear to be accurate any more.
712smain
712 S. Main Street, Reidsville, Rockingham County
The George and Florence Burton House
Sale pending May 6, 2026
No longer under contract May 7, 2026
- $199,900 (originally $255,000)
- 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 3,024 square feet, 0.33 acre
- Price/square foot: $66
- Built in 1927
- Listed April 9, 2026
- Last sale: Deed not found online
- Neighborhood: Old Post Road Historic District (local), Reidsville Historic District (NR)
- Note: The house needs cosmetic work throughout, but it hasn’t been ruined with vinyl floors and other cheap crap.
- District NR nomination: “A substantial number of ‘four-square’ houses — two-story, double-pile, hipped-roof frame dwellings — exhibit classical details. For instance, the house at 712 south Main Street has Tuscan columns supporting the full-facade porch and sidelights flanking the entrance.”
- The earliest known owners were George Washington Burton (1857-1936) and Florence Lee Mims Burton (1864-1942). George had an eclectic career, working in Milton in the retail trade, later entering the tobacco business in Reidsville. “When his health began to fail, he became the proprietor of the Piedmont Hotel, which business he continued until his death,” his obituary said.
- The house was bought in 1944 by Clarence Lamar Jolly (d. 1958, age 56) and Priscilla Charles Hoffman Jolly (dates unknown). Clarence was a graduate of Georgia Tech and a career textile executive. He came to Reidsville as general superintendent of the Cone Mill Edna Plant.
- In 1977, their son Charles and daughter-in-law Myrna took ownership. They sold the house in 1981 to Walter Daniel Rakestraw (1927-2010) and Dorothy Grey Dove Rakestraw (1928-2023). Dot worked for Sears for 30 years. Walter worked for the IRS. After retiring, he operated several businesses, including R and R Realty, Golden Tan, Silver Shears and Golden Comb. Dot’s estate is now selling the house.
Stokes-house
Stokes, Surry, Yadkin and Davie Counties and Nearby Areas
8670us601
8670 U.S. Highway 601, Rowan County
The Lindsay-Tatum-Wyatt House
AKA the Centennial House
- $999,000
- 3 bedrooms, 2.5 bathrooms, 2,757 square feet, 18.0 acres
- Price/square foot: $362
- Built in 1876 (see note)
- Listed August 13, 2026
- Last sale: $200,000, March 2017
- Neighborhood: Just across the South Yadkin River from Davie County, about 5 miles southeast of Cooleemee and 8 1/2 miles north of Salisbury. The property has a Salisbury mailing address.
- Note: County records show the date as 1900, but all other evidence suggests 1876, the year Captain Jack bought the property.
- The current owners restored the house. The home’s front porch has a pierced wood railing. Inside are “original shiplap walls and ceilings in many of the rooms. In the living room and upstairs en suite sitting room, the shiplap walls are unpainted and stained.”
- The property has about 1,600 feet of frontage on the river. The house is situated on a hill over the flood plain.
- “The property includes a historic 1,173 sq. ft. original bathhouse overlooking a sandy beach area below at the river — a popular bathing and picnic spot in the late 1800s.” The bathhouse served as a Masonic lodge in the past.
- “The two-car garage has been thoughtfully converted into a boutique floral shop, complete with a dog-wash station and a mini-split HVAC system. The property also includes a barn with 8 stalls, a tack room/utility room, permanent stairs to a hayloft, and solar panels installed on the roof.”
- The house was built by John “Captain Jack” Lindsay (1831-1906). Captain Jack was born in Edinburgh, Scotland, (his youngest son was named Walter Scott Lindsay). He was in the milling business.
- “Wednesday afternoon he was sitting on his porch reading, apparently in his usual health, when he fell from his chair unconscious and never rallied from the attack,” the Statesville Landmark reported in August 1906. “The deceased was a genial, kindly man and was very popular with all who knew him.”
- Shortly before his death in 1906, Jack and Louisa, his third wife (he outlived the first two), sold the property to daughter Margaret Lindsay Tatum (1860-1953) and son-in-law Peasant Owen Tatum (1852-1947). The deal allowed them to continue to live in the house until Jack’s death; Louisa was allowed to stay for up to three months after this passing. Jack also sold P.O. his business interests.
- The Rowan County register of deeds really knew how to do it up right.
- Pleasant operated the South River Milling Company until he was about 84.
- Margaret and Pleasant sold the house in 1920 to Julia S. Rainey (dates unknown). All that’s known about her is that she was a widow and that she sold the house in 1936.
- The buyers in 1936 were Curtis L. Wyatt (1890-1971) and Margaret Linker Wyatt (1895-1976). Curtis was a machinist with Southern Railway at the Spencer shops. He also was co-owner of Yadkin Fuel Supply. Margaret was a counselor with the Rowan County school system. Ownership of the house passed to three nieces. The estate of one of the nieces sold the house to the current owners in 2017.
14725elkin
14725 Elkin Highway 268, Ronda, Wilkes County
- $384,900 (originally $394,000)
- 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 2,584 square feet (per county), 3.46 acres
- Price/square foot: $149
- Built in 1865 (per county)
- Listed July 4, 2026
- Last sale: $172,500, January 2017
- Neighborhood: About 2 1/2 miles northeast of Ronda and 4 miles southwest of Elkin.
- Note: “572 sq.ft. Upstairs does not meet min. headroom requirements.”
519maple
519 Maple Street, Mount Airy, Surry County
The Mary and Shell Siceloff House
- $379,000 (originally $500,000)
- 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, 3,664 square feet, 0.66 acre
- Price/square foot: $103
- Built in 1889
- Listed February 24, 2026
- Last sale: $150,000, October 2019
- Neighborhood: Mount Airy Historic District (NR)
- District NR nomination: “L. Shell Siceloff was an early owner of this two-story frame Italianate house, thought to have been built ca. 1889 on its hilltop site overlooking the downtown. The house has the fringed window hoods seen in other Italianate houses from the period and an interior brick chimney with arches and cruciform recesses built into its top.
- “Also original are the front/side gable form, angled bay windows with paneled aprons on the front wing and south gable end, lozenge-shaped gable vents, and bracketed cornice.
- “The Craftsman front porch is later, with tapered square wood columns on brick pedestals. The turned porch balustrade is pre-Craftsman in character, suggesting either that the balusters were reused from the earlier porch or they are a late occurrence of the type.
- “At the end of the one-story rear wing is a shed-roofed basement-level room of brick construction with large windows — possibly an attached flower house. Other features include weatherboard siding, a second interior brick chimney of plainer character, asphalt shingle roofing, replacement windows, a modern exterior stair on the north side, and a brick foundation. The address was formerly 107 Maple.”
- The house was owned by the Siceloff family for almost 100 years. Lemon Shell Siceloff (1853-1889) must not have bought the house very long before his death at age 36. His widow, Mary Ursula Conrad Siceloff (1861-1957) lived in the house for the rest of her life. She outlived her husband by 68 years, never remarrying and dying at age 95.
- At her death, Mary was living with her daughter-in-law, Eloise Sparger Siceloff (1903-1997), the widow of her son, James Conrad Siceloff (1885-1951). Eloise was a graduate of the Women’s College and a school teacher at Bannertown School in Mount Airy. Eighteen years younger than her husband, she outlived him by 46 years. Like her mother-in-law, Eloise never remarried. She sold the house in 1982.
639elk
639 Elk Spur Street, Elkin, Surry County
The W.G. Church House
- $349,900 (originally $399,000)
- 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 2,900 square feet, 0.39 acre
- Price/square foot: $121
- Built in 1910
- Listed July 22, 2025
- Last sales: $143,500, July 2007; $195,000, June 2007, $156,500, March 2003
- Note: The State Historic Preservation Office identifies the house with William Granville Church (1872-1935), Elkin’s police chief for 14 years until his death. Deeds refer to it as the Mary A. Church homeplace, for William’s wife, Mary Ann “Annie” Sale Church (1873-1963). In 1945, Annie sold the house to daughter Mary Emma Church Sappenfield (1908-1996) with a life estate allowing Annie to continue living there until her death. Mary Emma sold the house in 1967.
123worth
123 Worth Street, Mount Airy, Surry County
The Midkiff House
Sale pending August 12, 2026
- $324,900 (originally $349,900)
- 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 1,952 square feet, 0.54 acre
- Price/square foot: $166
- Built circa 1890 (see note)
- Listed May 30, 2026
- Last sale: $144,000, December 2017
- Neighborhood: Mount Airy Historic district (NR)
- Note: The district’s National Register nomination puts the date around 1890, which appears to be supported by city directory entries. County records show 1920.
- District NR nomination: “Late 19th century two-story frame house with gable roof, wide overhanging eaves, pair of interior corbelled chimneys, front entrance with sidelights and transom, hip-roofed front porch with decorative sawn brackets, turned posts and balusters, and one-story rear ell.
- “Believed to have been built by William Midkiff, and later owned by his son, Frank Midkiff.
- “Update: The house has replacement windows, porch balustrade, and front door and sidelights. There is currently no transom. The chimneys are no longer visible above the roofline.”
- William Henry Midkiff (1847-1926) was identified as a clerk in the 1928 city directory. “Mr. Midkiff was a kind-hearted and likable man who enjoyed the confidence and esteem of his fellowmen,” The Sentinel said in his obituary.
- William may have been working for his son, William Franklin, “Frank” Midkiff (1885-1962). Frank operated a general merchandise store for 61 years and eventually expanded into groceries. He was still living in the house when he died.
985traphill
985 Traphill Road, Hays, Wilkes County
- $265,000
- 5 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, 2,464 square feet, 13.6 acres
- Price/square foot: $108
- Built in 1864
- Listed August 18, 2026
- Last sale: $149,000, September 2021
- Note: The house was owned for many years by Charlie Wayne Elledge (1914-2001) and Opal Juanita Pendry Elledge (1912-2001). Their ownership could date date back to the 1930s; the county’s deeds index shows them buying property as early as 1936, but the actual deeds aren’t available online. Charlie was a World War II veteran. Opal was a school teacher. She was a Sunday school teacher at Maple Grove Baptist Church since the church was established in 1932.
- Charlie and Opal sold the property to one of Opal’s nephews in 1992.
137old
137 Old Rockford Road, Rockford, Surry County
- $229,000
- 2 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, 1,872 square feet, 4.0 acres (per county; see note)
- Price/square foot: $122
- Built in 1910
- Listed August 6, 2026
- Last sale: $26,500, July 1978
- Note: Online listings show only 2.3 acres. The lot appears to be split by Old Rockford Road, with a long, narrow triangular piece on the side of the street toward the river and the bulk of the 4 acres across the street.
- Deeds describe the property as “known to all as the Hamlin Mill lot.”
- The historic character of the interior has been diminished with vinyl flooring throughout.
- The house is associated with James Dillard Hamlin (1847-1915). He owned a store and a roller mill in Rockford. He originally was from Yadkinville, where he was a farmer and operated a tobacco manufacturing business. He was the first Democrat elected sheriff of Yadkin County after the Civil War.
- James and his wife, Mary Louise “Molly” Folger Hamlin (1856-1906), had 12 children, nine daughters and three sons. Only five of the children lived to adulthood, all daughters.
- The Winston-Salem Journal called him “one of the most highly respected and prominent men in Yadkin and Surry counties.”
- “For many years, Mr. Hamlin was considered one of the wealthiest men in Yadkin county, owning a valuable block, a factory and several other pieces of real estate in Yadkinville; two or three farms in Yadkin county; a mill, store and a nice residence in Rockford, and other interests.”
Davidson-house
Davidson, Randolph, Montgomery and Nearby Areas
967bynum
967 Bynum Road, Chatham County
The Neal-Snipes House
Sale pending March 11, 2026
No longer under contract June 3, 2026
- $725,000 (originally $775,000)
- 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 2,495 square feet, 1.00 acre
- Price/square foot: $291
- Built in 1908
- Listed May 2, 2025
- Last sale: $440,000, May 2018
- Neighborhood: Bynum Historic District (NR)
- Note: Now being used as a short-term rental
- Located 5 miles northeast of Pittsboro, just off U.S. 501 across the Haw River. The property has a Pittsboro mailing address.
- District NR nomination: “Triple-A I-house with three-bay façade; hipped front porch with turned columns, sawn brackets, and turned balustrade; weatherboard exterior; replacement one-over-one sash; brick end chimneys with corbelled caps; five-V metal roofing; and a single-story rear ell with interior corbelled brick chimney at the center of its roof ridge. Additions have been made at the west side of the rear ell and the east side of the rear corner of the two-story block.
- “The county’s online tax and land records date the house to 1908, and deeds record the sale of this land, and the parcel immediately north to total 2 1/8 acres, from Mary and Carney Bynum to Charles W. Neal (1872-1930) in January 1906. Neal had been working as a machinist at the cotton mill in 1900. He lived in a rented house with his wife of five years, Martha Williamson, a Bynum native who had lived in the mill village with her family and worked in the mill before her marriage. According to the deed, he paid $20 outright and owed $54.37 to the Bynums in 1906.
- “Charlie Neal’s obituary in the Chatham Record notes that he worked ‘for a number of years the efficient superintendent of the Bynum mill,’ but the 1910 federal census notes that he owned a cotton mill. …
- “Martha and Charles Neal sold the property in 1909 to Jas. R. Durham … Durham sold the house he’d purchased from the Neals in 1910 to Lucian S. Burnette and Cara and Robert J. Moore for $625, a curiously low price.
- “Robert Moore ran a general store near the river, on the old Chapel Hill to Pittsboro Road, for over forty years; it had been demolished by about 1960. …
- “Charlie Snipes bought this property for $3,000 in 1921, moving from the family homestead at the ca. 1820 Federal-style Snipes House in the vicinity of Bynum so that his younger children could attend school in the village. This house remained in the Snipes family through much of the rest of the twentieth century. A 1990 plat records the subdivision of the parcel and refers to the land as the estate of Thomas L. ‘Tuck’ Snipes.”
- Charles Alexander Snipes (1872-1954) was a teacher and farmer. He was elected to a term in the legislature in 1920 and served on the county board of education.
- Tuck Snipes (1916-1988) worked for Odell Manufacturing Company. He was a charter member of the Bynum Ruritan club. His estate sold the house in 1990.
298esalisbury
298 E. Salisbury Street, Pittsboro, Chatham County
The Thomas Hackney House
Listing withdrawn December 31, 2024; relisted February 26, 2025
Listing withdrawn August 30, 2025; relisted September 6, 2025
Listing withdrawn December 27, 2025
Relisted April 14, 2026
- $585,000 (originally $700,000, later $580,000)
- 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 2,033 square feet, 0.40 acre
- Price/square foot: $288
- Built in 1900
- Listed January 22, 2024
- Last sale: 1984, price not recorded on deed
- The Architectural History of Chatham County, North Carolina: The home is believed to have built by contractor Bennett Nooe for his chief carpenter, Thomas Hackney. It’s “representative of the late nineteenth-century triple-A style,” with “a modestly classical theme.”
- “Nooe’s touch is found in the distinctively tall four-over-four sash windows. These windows provide a contrast to the low pitch of the gable roof.”
- “Current owners, Deborah and Pete Hinton, rescued the house in 1984 from certain demise.”
8207colonial
8207 Colonial Trading Path, Randolph County
Listing withdrawn March 4, 2020; relisted May 18, 2026
Sale pending May 26, 2026
No longer under contract August 13, 2026
- $405,000 (originally listed at $614,900 for 33.64 acres, later dropped to $339,000)
- 4 bedrooms, 2 1/2 bathrooms, 2,862 square feet, 13.21 acres
- Price/square foot: $142
- Built in 1880
- Listed October 28, 2019
- Last sale: $100,000, December 2004
- Location: Just south of the Randolph-Guilford County line. The property has a Julian mailing address.
135dixon
135 Dixon Street, Asheboro, Randolph County
Sale pending December 17, 2025
No longer under contract January 29, 2026
- $397,000 (originally $439,900, later $424,900)
- 4 bedrooms, 2 1/2 bathrooms, 2,419 square feet, 0.37 acre
- Price/square foot: $164
- Built in 1920
- Listed December 17, 2024
- Last sale: $30,000, February 2021
- Something to ask about: The 2020 listing said the house had foundation issues.
9143nc150
9143 S. N.C. Highway 150, Linwood, Davidson County
The Lassiter-Greene House
- $359,000 (originally $415,900)
- 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 1,693 square feet, 2.24 acres
- Price/square foot: $212
- Built in 1912
- Listed November 16, 2025
- Last sale: 1972, tax stamps illegible on online deed; $2,200, September 1943
- Neighborhood: Near the Churchland community, 7 1/2 miles west of Linwood, about 13 miles southwest of Lexington.
- Note: The property includes a second house, built in 1952, with 2 bedrooms and one bathroom.
- The listing says the house has been owned by the house has been in the Lassiter-Greene family for more than 100 years. Deeds indicate the original owners may have been Ira Elzia Lassiter (1872-1943) and Bessie McNair Feezor Lassiter (1876-1936). In 1943, four of their children sold the property to their brother Fred Lee Lassiter (1907-1979) and Mildred Smith Lassiter (1913-1991).
- Ira’s death in 1943 was one of six apparently unrelated deaths in two weeks in the small Churchland community. “Old residents of the community stated today that they could not remember such a succession of deaths in a similar period hitherto,” the Salisbury Evening Post reported. “There has been no epidemic of any sort, but simply an unusual coincidence.”
- In 1972, Fred passed ownership to nephew Hugh E. Greene (1928-2010) and Anna McNeill Greene (1934-2024). Hugh was a school teacher. Anna was an accomplished quilter and baker. The house is now being sold by one of their sons, a great-grandson of Ira and Bessie.
502wallenton
502 W. Allenton Street, Mount Gilead, Montgomery County
The Scarborough House
Preservation NC listing
Listing withdrawn September 14, 2024; relisted March 25, 2025
Listing withdrawn October 1, 2025
Relisted April 10, 2026
- $319,000 (originally $385,000)
- 5 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 2,840 square feet (per county), 3.77 acres
- Price/square foot: $112
- Built in 1892
- Listed March 6, 2024
- Last sales: $60,000, November 2021; $45,000, November 2020
- Note: The owner is an LLC based in Charlotte, which has done a massive restoration job on it. From the 2020 listing: “The Scarborough House needs structural repairs to the rear hall floor and ceiling caused by a roof leak (recently dried-in), and porch repairs, removal of old ceiling tiles and carpeting, plus updates to the kitchen, baths, and mechanical systems.”
- The house, outbuildings and the 3.77-acre lot are subject to preservation covenants held by the Historic Preservation Foundation of North Carolina.
- From the 2020 listing: The property includes five outbuildings — well house, smokehouse, barn, corn crib and 1920s garage (Frankie Scarborough was one of the first car owners in Mount Gilead). Another barn burned in 1902.
- The original owners may have been Henry Griffin Scarborough (1853-1931) and Frances Jane Scubbins Scarborough (1855-1931). Henry was a farmer and served as a county commissioner. They were listed in the 1910 census as living on West Road, which could be West Allenton Street, Mount Gilead’s main east-west street. In 1894, Frances was the subject of an alarming report in The Charlotte Democrat:
- Frances apparently recovered from her derangement; her 12th child was born three years later. Frank Leslie Scarborough (1897-1966) was the youngest of their children, nine of whom lived to adulthood.
- The last two for-sale listings for the house report that Frankie was one of the earliest car owners in town. He attended Trinity College (probably graduating in 1919, five years before it became Duke University). Frankie was an electrical engineer. In the 1940s and ’50s, he worked in Chattanooga for the Tennessee Valley Authority. He was living in Troy when he died.
- The house was owned by the Scarborough family until 2020, when the Historic Preservation Foundation of North Carolina bought it for $35,000.
- How the house looked in 2021:



































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































