Historic Mansions

Updated December 3, 2022

Jump directly to:

Featured Listing
Greensboro, High Point and Guilford County
Winston-Salem and Forsyth County
Alamance, Caswell and Rockingham Counties
Stokes, Surry, Yadkin and Davie Counties
Davidson, Randolph and Montgomery Counties

In Limbo

Recent Sales
2018-2021 Sales

665 N. Main Street, Mocksville, Davie County
The Dr. Robert P. Anderson House

  • $825,000
  • 4 bedrooms, 2 1/2 bathrooms, 4,277 square feet, 1.79 acres
  • Price/square foot: $193
  • Built in 1903
  • Listed November 14, 2022
  • Last sale: $470,000, February 2007
  • Neighborhood: North Main Street Historic District (NRHP)
  • Listing: “Large restored party/event barn with plumbing and electric, workshop, potting shed, carriage garage, historic stone outdoor fireplace, stone tea garden.”
  • District NRHP nomination: “picturesque frame Shingle Style residence with complex roofline; intersection of front and cross gables has two-story, conically roofed tower with rubble-faced masonry first floor; rubble-faced stone foundations and exterior end chimneys;
    • “wraparound curved porch with rubble masonry piers; semi-octagonal dormer over front porch; shingled gable ends and second floor of tower; clapboarded water table canted over foundation;
    • “mix of one-over-one and nine-over-one sash windows in a variety of sizes; door surround with leaded, bevelled glass sidelights, door with oval glass panel;
    • “rear and side hipped and shed wall dormers; rear hipped porch;
    • “notable Queen Anne/Classical Revival interior;
    • “built for dentist Dr. Robert P. Anderson (1868-1966) from plans provided by Barber and Klutz, Architects, in Knoxville.”
    • His dates on his headstone are 1869-1966. His wife, Flora Reed Anderson (1868-1968), was similarly long-lived, dying just a month before her 100th birthday.

Greensboro, High Point and Guilford County

710 Country Club Drive, Greensboro
The J. Spencer Love House I
Blog post — $7.5 million and It’s Yours: The 1937 J. Spencer Love House in Irving Park

  • $5.95 million (originally $7.495 million)
  • 6 bedrooms, 7 full bathrooms, 3 half-bathrooms, 11,201 square feet, 3.3 acres
  • Price/square foot: $531
  • Built in 1937
  • Listed August 5, 2021
  • Last sale: $2.49 million, February 1997
  • Neighborhood: Irving Park Historic District
  • Listing: “In the late 1990’s the house underwent a total renovation by the present owners. Original features to the house include the Grand Foyer, Formal Living & Dining Rooms, Sunroom, Library, Kitchen, Butler Pantry’s, Morning Room, Six Bedrooms, inclusive of a magnificent primary suite with his & hers dressing rooms, baths.
    • “Lower level with Sauna, hot tub, bedroom, bath, exercise room & mechanical room. Pool House with two kitchens, two living areas & three bedrooms. The Cottage with open kitchen & living area, massive fireplace, two bedrooms, two baths, Carriage House with kitchen, bedroom & bath.
    • “Gazebo, Tennis Court & open air breeze back grounds overlooking beautifully maintained gardens. Picturesque park like grounds face Greensboro Country Club golf course.”
    • District NRHP nomination: “This was the residence of J. Spencer Love, president of Burlington Mills, and his family. The Love House is a palatial Georgian Revival mansion inspired by eighteenth century Virginia houses. It features Flemish bond brickwork, a steep hipped roof with segmental-arched dormers and a modillioned cornice, a five-bay facade with a swan’s neck pedimented entrance, a string course between floors, and brick corner quoins. Large one and two-story wings project from either side of the main block. An expansive landscaped lawn fronts the house and is bordered by a molded brick wall.”
    • James Spencer Love (1896-1962) was born in Cambridge, Massachusetts. His father, James Lee Love, was a professor of mathematics at Harvard and, more importantly, a native a Gastonia, where his father and brother owned a small mill called the Gastonia Cotton Manufacturing Company. After graduating from Harvard, J. Spencer went to Gastonia and in 1919 bought the company. In 1922 he moved it to Burlington and gave it a new name. “Shortly afterwards, he decided to gamble on a new product, rayon. Throughout his business career, Love continued to be bold, expanding frequently and seeking new products even in the hard times of the 1930s.” (Dictionary of North Carolina Biography) That kind of initiative turned his small mill into the largest textile company in the world, Burlington Industries.
    • Benjamin and Anne Cone bought the house in 1941 from Love’s ex-wife, Elizabeth Love Appleget. Cone (1899-1982) was a son of Ceasar and Jeannette Cone. He served as chairman of Cone Mills, 1957-71; mayor of Greensboro, 1949-51 (Greensboro mayors traditionally served only one term until the 1970s); and chairman of Moses H. Cone Memorial Hospital, 1956-65. He and his wife, Anne Coleman Wortham Cone (1915-1999), were major benefactors to the Weatherspoon Art Museum. They owned the house until 1977, when they sold it to Richard Love, a son of J. Spencer Love, and his wife, Bonnie B. Love. They sold the house in 1982.
    • in 1997, the house was bought by the current owner, Bonnie McElveen Hunter, founder and CEO of Greensboro’s Pace Communications, president of the American Red Cross and former ambassador to Finland, and her husband, Bynum Merritt Hunter (1925-2018).

307 Sunset Drive, Greensboro
The Williamson-Weill House

  • $2.75 million
  • 6 bedroom,s 4 1/2 bathrooms, 4,259 square feet, 1.02 acres
  • Price/square foot: $646
  • Built in 1924
  • Listed November 16, 2022
  • Last sale: $1.1 million, March 2022
  • Neighborhood: Irving Park
  • Note: The Zillow listing reads “Undisclosed Address” at the top, but the description of the house begins, “307 Sunset Drive – One of the most distinctive architectural masterpieces in Old Irving Park …”
    • Designed by Charles Hartmann (1889-1977), one of Greensboro’s most distinguished architects of the period. Among his works are the Jefferson-Standard Building in downtown Greensboro and Julian Price’s Hillside mansion in Fisher Park.
    • The current owners have restored the home. Their previous restorations include Hillside.
    • The original owners were textile executive Lynn Banks Williams (1872-1940) and Eleanor Virginia Farish Williamson (1975-1962). They were first listed at the address in 1925, the year they moved to Greensboro from Burlington. Lynn had been president of E.M. Holt Plaid Mills in Burlington. At the time of his death, he was a director of Burlington Mills and president of Virginia Mills in Swepsonville.
    • After Lynn’s death, daughter Eleanor Williamson Ward (1909-1986) and son-in-law Nathaniel M. Ward (1906-1980) moved from his hometown of Baltimore to live in the house. They sold it in 1973.
    • From 1973 to 2020, the house belonged to C.L. “Buddy” Weill Jr. (1924-2020) and Dorothy Siegmund Weill (1929-2016). Buddy Weill was one of Greensboro’s most prominent businessmen for decades. After serving in the Army in World War II, he became president of his father’s insurance firm, Robbins & Weill, and established Weill Investment Company. He was one of the organizers of Well-Spring Retirement Community, where he was living when he died at age 95, and served on and/or led a remarkable number of the city’s high-profile boards, including the Center for Creative Leadership, Greater Greensboro Realtors Association, Greensboro College, Greensboro County Club, Greensboro Planning and Zoning Commission, Greensboro Symphony, Lineberger Cancer Center at UNC-Chapel Hill, Moses H. Cone Memorial Hospital, United Way of Greater Greensboro and the UNC Greensboro Excellence Foundation.

802 & 800 Sunset Drive, Greensboro
The G. Allen Mebane House

  • $2 million
  • 5 bedrooms, 5 1/2 bathrooms, 5,001 square feet, 0.85 acre
  • Price/square foot: $400
  • Built in 1929
  • Listed October 12, 2022
  • Last sale: $325,000, May 1983
  • Neighborhood: Irving Park
  • Note: The property includes a guest house (228 square feet, 1 bedroom, 1 bathroom) attached to the garage. The house is 802 Sunset; 800 Sunset has no structures on it.
    • Greensboro: An Architectural Record: “Mebane, a cotton broker, moved from West Washington Street in downtown Greensboro to his new home in Irving Park in the late 1920s. Worked in brick, his house features the distinctive asymmetrical and steeply pitched front gable, round-arched recessed entry and false half-timbering common to the Tudor Revival style.”
    • Oddly, the gravestone for George Allen Mebane (1893-1948) reads, “George Allen Mebane III”. From findagrave.com: “Son of Mary Holt and George Allen Mebane. Although his marker reflects a third generation namesake, old newspaper articles and other records only refer to him as junior. It is quite clear in research that his grandfather was Benjamin Franklin Mebane.
    • “While attending Bingham School in Asheville, George won a scholarship to UNC. He became a successful businessman in the Greensboro community.”
    • The house has had only three owners. Allen and his wife, Elizabeth Armstrong Mebane (1901-1971), sold it in 1946 to James Saunders Williamson (1900-1965) and his wife, Elizabeth Wilkinson Williamson (1908-1983). Saunders was an executive with Burlington Mills. After he died, Elizabeth continued to own the house until her death. It was then bought by the current owners.

815 Woodland Drive, Greensboro
The Haywood Duke House
listing removed and relisted six times since May 2011
listing withdrawn August 1, 2022
relisted October 29, 2022

  • $1.79 million (originally $1.89 million, later $1.59 million)
  • 5 bedrooms, 5 1/2 bathrooms, 5,215 square feet
  • Price/square foot: $343
  • Built in 1925
  • Listed January 8, 2011
  • Last sale: $1.7 million, June 2004
  • Neighborhood: Irving Park
  • Note: Joseph Haywood Duke (1904-1962) was general manager of the King Cotton Hotel. The grand 13-story hotel stood downtown on Market Street at Davie, where the former News & Record building now is, from 1927 to 1971. Duke was a native of Dunn and grew up in Elizabeth City. Before coming to Greensboro in 1937 to run the King Cotton, he managed his mother’s Duke Inn in Elizabeth City and the Carolina Inn in Chapel Hill, among others around the state. He later bought an interest in the King Cotton and owned the Sedgefield Inn.
    • Duke bought the house in 1948. It was sold by his widow, Elizabeth Savage Etheridge Duke (1904-1983), in 1970.
    • The original owners were Robert W. Glenn (1884-1935) and Katherine Hardie Glenn (1887-1982), who were first listed in the city directory on Woodland Drive in 1926. Robert was the branch manager of Ciba Company, which produced dyes. Kate sold the house to the Dukes in 1948.
    • Ciba was part of of the Swiss firm Ciba-Geigy Ltd., one of the largest chemical companies in the world. In 1996, Ciba-Geigy and Sandoz spun off and merged their drug and agriculture businesses to form Novartis. In 2000, Novartis and AstraZeneca spun off their agrichemical businesses and merged them to form Syngenta, whose U.S. business unit is based in Greensboro.
    • “The 2011 Dow Jones Sustainability Index named Syngenta one of the best performing chemical companies worldwide. However, the company has been controversial, mainly due to its main business – selling toxic chemicals and the environmental impact of those chemicals – but also due to its investment in lobbying. In 2012, the company was nominated for the Public Eye Award, which denounces companies with questionable human rights practices.” (Wikipedia)

303 W. Greenway Drive North, Greensboro
The Mary and Hugh Preddy House

  • $950,000 (originally $995,000)
  • 3 bedrooms, 3 1/2 bathrooms, 3,961 square feet, 0.61 acre
  • Price/square foot: $240
  • Built in 1928
  • Listed July 14, 2022
  • Last sale: $160,000, December 1981
  • Neighborhood: Sunset Hills Historic District (NRHP)
  • Note: The house is on a hill overlooking Sunset Hills Park.
    • Architect Lorenzo Winslow (1892-1976) designed the house. Among his other local works are the Irving Park Apartments on North Elm Street. He later served for 20 years as architect of the White House, responsible for the complete reconstruction of the interior from 1948-52.
  • District NRHP nomination: “The two-and-a-half-story, three-bay, side-gabled, brick and half-timbered Tudor Revival-style house features a projecting, two-story, front gable containing the entrance.
    • “A wood batten door with metal strap hinges and pierced by a small window with diamond-patterned wood muntins is set in a Tudor arched-head brick surround. Narrow windows with stone sills flank the door.
    • “Square posts support a porch that extends along the façade of the south end of the house. It is topped by a wood balustrade enclosing a balcony. French doors replace the original windows and allow access from a second floor bedroom to the balcony. A metal spiral staircase joins the balcony and lower level porch.
    • “Windows throughout are primarily casement and six-over-six and four-over-four. A variety of decorative brick patterns grace the first level.
    • “On the north elevation, two side-gabled wings of differing heights project from the main block. A one-and-a-half-story, side-gabled wing occupies the south gable end.
    • “Two brick chimneys rise from the house, one on the south gable end of the main block and one on the rear roof slope. A wooden Tudor arch crowns a rear recessed entry that is sheathed in weatherboard. A slate roof tops the dwelling.
    • “The interior follows a center hall plan with the stair originating in the rear portion of the passage. Just inside the door, the original tile floor remains.
    • “The interior remains largely unchanged, except for the removal of a wall between two second floor bedrooms.”
    • Hugh Newell Preddy (1886-1952) and Mary Dodson Preddy (1891-1963) bought the house in 1928. Hugh was a clerk for E.A. Pierce & Co., one of the brokerage houses that later were merged into Merrill Lynch, Pierce, Fenner and Smith.
    • After the stock market crash, he lost job, and in 1933 the Preddys lost the house to foreclosure. By then, five other family members and a lodger were living with them. The house was bought by the estate of Mary’s grandfather, allowing the family to stay until 1941, when the house was sold.
    • The next owners, Wylanta McKay Bucker (1902-1981) and David Buckner (1894-1956), owned the house until 1981, when the current owners bought it. David Buckner was an actuary and later an executive with Jefferson Standard Life Insurance.

916 Arbordale Avenue, High Point
The Howard and Onita Jobe House

  • $725,000 (originally $765,000)
  • 5 bedrooms, 4 1/2 bathrooms, 4,530 square feet, 0.66 acre
  • Price/square foot: $160
  • Built in 1936
  • Listed August 10, 2022
  • Last sale: $420,000, December 2012
  • Neighborhood: Emerywood West
  • Note: The fifth bedroom is over the garage.
    • The original owners were Howard D. Jobe (d. 1950) and Onita Albert Jobe (d. 1977). They bought the property in 1937; it was sold by Onita’s heirs in 1977. Howard was vice president of Adams-Millis.

Winston-Salem and Forsyth County

464 Sheffield Road, Winston-Salem

  • $1.995 million
  • 5 bedrooms, 5 1/2 bathrooms, 6,292 square feet, 1.25 acres
  • Price/square foot: $317
  • Built in 1925
  • Listed December 1, 2022
  • Last sale: $1.35 million, April 2018
  • Neighborhood: Westview/Buena Vista
  • Note: Ludowici tile roof, stucco exterior
    • The property includes a four-car garage.

1819 Buena Vista Road, Winston-Salem
listing withdrawn March 20, 2022
relisted September 2, 2022

  • $1.195 million (originally $1.25 million, later $1.375 million)
  • 7 bedrooms, 5 1/2 bathrooms, 4,062 square feet (per county records), 0.63 acre
  • Price/square foot: $294
  • Built in 1926
  • Listed July 22, 2020
  • Last sale: $445,500, April 1992
  • Neighborhood: Buena Vista
  • Note: Previously for sale by owner for about a year and a half at $1.25 million
    • The original owner appears to have been Miss Delphine Hall Carter (1873-1952), listed as the resident in 1928, the first year the city directory included residents on Buena Vista Road. Delphine for many years was an active member of the Monday Afternoon Book Club and the Women’s Foreign Missionary Society of First Presbyterian Church. She lived in the house until around 1939.
    • She was a niece of the apparently much-loved Major Thomas Jethro Brown (1830 or 1833-1914). He died at Delphine’s home; she was living then on West Fourth Street. A very long obituary in The Western Sentinel identified him as “the pioneering tobacco warehouseman in this city.” A native of Caswell County, he was casting about for a place to establish a business after the war and “with prophetic vision he saw the possibilities of Winston-Salem as a tobacco market, and decided to locate here. At that time this was not a tobacco section, and little or no interest was taken in tobacco culture.” The newspaper speculated that the funeral “was perhaps the largest in the history of the city.” The eulogy by the pastor of First Presbyterian Church said, “It is not too much to say that no man has ever lived in the community who was more universally beloved.”

411 S. Main Street, Old Salem, Winston-Salem
The Charles A. Cooper House
listing expired February 2, 2022
relisted February 23, 2022

  • $950,000 (originally $1,050,000)
  • 4 bedrooms, 5 1/2 bathrooms, 3,900 square feet
  • Price/square foot: $244
  • Built in 2006
  • Listed September 20, 2021
  • Last sale: $38,000, December 2001 (land only)
  • Listing: “Based on old photography, partially excavated foundation, and tons of research and experience, the home has been reconstructed to its original 1840’s appearance by historic home builder Steven Cole.”
    • The house features reclaimed doors and iron work from the 1700’s, full mortise and peg windows made of heartpine wood and wavy glass, imported European bricks to line the fireplaces, and wide board white oak flooring on three of the four levels.
    • County records show the square footage as 2,628, which looks way too small.

1096 W. 4th Street, Winston-Salem
The Thomas Patterson House
sale pending November 5, 2022

  • $525,000
  • 7 bedrooms, 4 1/2 bathrooms, 5,119 square feet, 0.22 acre
  • Price/square foot: $103
  • Built in 1890
  • Listed November 2, 2022
  • Last sale: $150,000, August 1986
  • Neighborhood: West End Historic District (local and NRHP)
  • Note: After abut 100 years divided into apartments and then turned into a duplex, the house has been returned to single-family home.
  • District NRHP nomination: “The Patterson House, one of the oldest dwellings in the West End, is a large two-story frame house of transitional late Victorian-Colonial Revival design.
    • “It has weatherboard siding, a pedimented gable roof, both one-over-one and nine-over-one sash windows, a projecting bay on the northeast side, and a wrap-around porch with paneled Classical posts, a plain balustrade, and a balustraded upper deck.
    • “A distinguishing feature of the house is its projecting center bay with double-leaf entrance surrounded by sidelights and transom, pair of second story windows headed by wooden sunburst designs, and pedimented gable.
    • “The first city directory listing for the house was in 1894/95, when it was the residence of Thomas Patterson, a manager at R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Co. He and his wife, Sallie, lived here until the late 1910s.
    • “In 1921 George C. Tudor listed the property for taxes, and he converted the house to apartments. The house was renovated as a two-family dwelling in 1985.”

Alamance, Caswell and Rockingham Counties

Any historic mansions now for sale are on the National Register page.

Stokes, Surry, Yadkin and Davie Counties

618 N. Main Street, Mount Airy, Surry County
The William Edward Merritt House
Heart & Soul Bed & Breakfast
listing withdrawn January 2, 2022; relisted June 24, 2022
sale pending August 21, 2022
no longer under contract October 15, 2022

  • $899,900 (originally $850,000, later $750,000)
  • 6 bedrooms, 6 bathrooms, 5,024 square feet (per county), 0.66 acre
  • Price/square foot: $179
  • Built in 1901
  • Listed July 8, 2021
  • Last sale: $152,000, April 2014
  • Neighborhood: Mount Airy Historic District
  • Note: The listing gives the square footage as 4,779.
    • The listing previously said there were 7 bedrooms and 7 1/2 bathrooms.
    • Listing: “The house is selling completely furnished except for personal belongings.” That includes a restored 1939 Cadillac Series 75 limousine (click for photo).
    • The property includes a detached two-car garage with an apartment above.
    • District NRHP nomination: “Large, impressive two-story brick late Victorian style house with granite trim, dominated by a two-and-one-half story polygonal projecting bay and one-story wrap-around porch with spindle frieze.
    • “The virtually unaltered house also features decorative, tall, corbelled and recessed panel interior chimneys, one-over-one windows with granite lintels and sills, granite string course extending around the house above the second story windows, decorative sawn brackets supporting wide overhanging eaves and Colonial Revival interior features.
    • “Built in 1901 by contractor J.A. Tesh for W.E. Merritt, who owned a hardware store and brickyard, and was the founder of the Renfro Textile Company and one of the founders of the Mount Airy Furniture Company.”
    • William Edward “Ed” Merritt (1867-1946) was born in Chatham, Virginia. His wife, Caroline Octavia “Carrie” Kochtitzky Merritt (1868-1960), was a native of Oakland, Missouri. After they came to Mount Airy, Ed’s parents and five of his six siblings also moved to the town.
    • From the Mount Airy News: “As is often the case, this new blood energized and benefited the community, as they established or led several major businesses: Merritt Hardware, Renfro Hosiery, Mount Airy Furniture Company, Merritt Machine Shop, Piedmont Manufacturing Company, and Floyd Pike Electrical, the North Carolina Granite Corp., and others. Several family members have served as town commissioners, the city engineer, the Surry County Draft Board, the county Board of Commissioners, and in the US Navy and Army.”

665 N. Main Street, Mocksville, Davie County
The Dr. Robert P. Anderson House

  • $825,000
  • 4 bedrooms, 2 1/2 bathrooms, 4,277 square feet, 1.79 acres
  • Price/square foot: $193
  • Built in 1903
  • Listed November 14, 2022
  • Last sale: $470,000, February 2007
  • Neighborhood: North Main Street Historic District (NRHP)
  • Listing: “Large restored party/event barn with plumbing and electric, workshop, potting shed, carriage garage, historic stone outdoor fireplace, stone tea garden.”
  • District NRHP nomination: “picturesque frame Shingle Style residence with complex roofline; intersection of front and cross gables has two-story, conically roofed tower with rubble-faced masonry first floor; rubble-faced stone foundations and exterior end chimneys;
    • “wraparound curved porch with rubble masonry piers; semi-octagonal dormer over front porch; shingled gable ends and second floor of tower; clapboarded water table canted over foundation;
    • “mix of one-over-one and nine-over-one sash windows in a variety of sizes; door surround with leaded, bevelled glass sidelights, door with oval glass panel;
    • “rear and side hipped and shed wall dormers; rear hipped porch;
    • “notable Queen Anne/Classical Revival interior;
    • “built for dentist Dr. Robert P. Anderson (1868-1966) from plans provided by Barber and Klutz, Architects, in Knoxville.”
    • His dates on his headstone are 1869-1966. His wife, Flora Reed Anderson (1868-1968), was similarly long-lived, dying just a month before her 100th birthday.
  • $575,000 (originally $659,900)
  • 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, 2,918 square feet (per county), 1 acre
  • Price/square foot: $197
  • Built in 1891
  • Listed April 11, 2022
  • Last sale: $34,000, November 2016
  • Note: The listing shows 4,492 square feet, a discrepancy of 54 percent.
    • The house has a Mount Airy mailing address, although it’s near the Asbury community in Stokes County, 12 miles northeast of Mount Airy.
    • Listing: “Some of the furnishings are also available for sale.”
    • The property includes a barn and a “pub,” originally the free-standing kitchen.

Davidson, Randolph and Montgomery Counties

Any historic mansions now for sale are on the National Register page.

In Limbo

7241 Burlington Road, Whitsett, Guilford County
The Joseph Bason Whitsett House
Blog post — The Joseph Bason Whitsett House: A Possibly Endangered 1883 Guilford County Landmark, $1.3 Million
sale pending February 1, 2022; no update since then

  • $1.3 million
  • 5 bedrooms, 5 bathrooms, 6,983 square feet, 11.33 acres
  • Price/square foot: $186
  • Built in 1883
  • Listed September 28, 2021
  • Last sale: $176,000, October 1987
  • Note: Designated a historic landmark by Guilford County
    • The house is now used for offices by a financial firm.
    • Listing: The property has three buildings, including a 700 square-foot guest house.
    • The house was built by Joseph Bason Whitsett (1835-1917). Joseph was a railroad man, his obituary recalled: “Twenty-five years of his life was [sic] spent in various capacities of railroad work, and he was identified with the first railroad building ever done in this section of the old North Carolina Railroad: afterwards with the Richmond and Danville system, and for a short while with the Southern.” (Shame on the Greensboro Patriot copy desk for letting this get into print.)
    • In 1863, Joseph married Mary Lusetta Foust (1845-1938), whose family owned grist mills and were major landowners in the area.
  • Their son, William Thornton Whitsett (1866-1934), was a renowned educator. In 1888, he founded the Whitsett Institute, a boarding school for boys. He operated it until it was destroyed by a fire in 1918. He served on the Guilford County Board of Education for 21 years and as a trustee of the University of North Carolina for 22 years.
    • William also was a locally prominent literary figure and historian. The Whitsett Institute published a book of his poems, Saber and Song, in 1917 (now available in hardcover, paperback and Kindle).
    • William’s death prompted an especially mournful report in The Burlington Daily Times-News, March 22, 1934:
    • “Dr. William Thornton Whitsett has passed away!
    • “The sun sank behind the horizon of the life of this illustrious citizen of North Carolina at twelve-forty o’clock last night, following a critical illness of ten days with pneumonia. He was 67 years old. His works will echo and re-echi [typo, probably] throughout many years to come.”
    • In addition to the residential listing, the owners have posted a commercial real-estate listing that positions the property for redevelopment, initially referring to the house as “an office building”:
    • “Prime development opportunity along the I-40/I-85 corridor in the fast-growing E. Guilford and W. Alamance market. Two properties consist of an office building on 11 acres and a vacant tract of 67 acres. Highest and best use is mixed use residential consisting of apartments, townhomes and SF lots. … Beautiful Victorian House built in the 1880s is currently used as office.”
    • GIS map of the area with the 11-acre and 67-acre tracts highlighted (click to enlarge):

7075 Kivette House Road, Gibsonville
The Kivette House
Blog post on Greensboro Historic Homes — The Kivette Houses, Both Now For Sale: The Gibsonville Homes of Two Sisters Who Loved Parties and Elon
listing withdrawn November 8, 2018; relisted September 9, 2019
contract pending April 28, 2021; no update since then

  • $825,000 (originally $875,000)
  • 7 bedrooms, 4 1/2 bathrooms, 6,336 square feet, 12.82 acres
  • Price/square foot: $130
  • Built in 1934
  • Listed March 11, 2018
  • Last sale: $365,000, December 2004
  • Note: The property includes a two-story carriage house.
    • The property was marketed previously as a residence or as a b&b/event venue (although there already is one in Gibsonville).
    • For more about the Kivette family, click here.