The 1839 Davie County Jail: A National Register Property in Mocksville Is For Sale in an Online Auction

284 s. main street, mocksville.jpg

Davie County’s original jail was built in Mocksville in 1839, three years after the county was established. Now it’s the centerpiece of an online auction of five properties all on the same downtown corner. Prospective buyers can bid on the properties separately or all of them together.

The jail is the centerpiece. It housed the county’s most armed and dangerous for 70 years and then became a residence. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1973. In 2001 the current owner bought it and converted it to office use.

A brief rundown of the deal:

The online auction is scheduled to run until Thursday November 14 at 6 p.m. (click here for details and any changes). For comparison, the jail and other properties were listed for sale as a package in 2018 for $580,000; in 2015 it was listed for $620,000.

284 s. main street mocksville plaque.jpg

As the video shows, there’s nothing left to identify the building as a jail except for the plaque. Still, it’s a substantial piece of local history. “The Davie County Jail is of considerable local significance, for its history parallels that of the county since its founding,” the National Register nomination states. “The sturdy, well maintained building with its handsome Flemish bond brickwork is an important Mocksville landmark.”

284 s. main street mocksville aerial.jpg

The lot for the jail and guest house, as seen above, is a nicely wooded half acre. The jail’s address is 284 S. Main Street (online listing). It’s listed as having 2 bedrooms and 1 bathroom, 1,752 square feet.

284 s. main street mocksville office 1.jpg

284 s. main street office 2.jpg

284 s. main street mocksville office 3.jpg

One odd detail: The kitchen appears to be upstairs.

284 s. main street mocksville office 4.jpg

284 s. main street mocksville porch.jpg

284 s.main street mocksville back.jpg

284 s. main street mocksville back 2.jpg

284 s. main street mocksville guest house.jpg

The guest house is being sold with the jail. It has about 858 square feet. The garden lot sits behind the guest house, well off the street.

Screen Shot 2019-10-17 at 10.30.40 AM.png

The entire package is 1.27 acres. The two additional houses are the “Yellow House” and the “Gray House,” 131 and 141 E. Lexington Road, respectively. The aerial view shows Lexington Road, U.S. 64, at the top and South Main Street, U.S. 158, at the right.

131 lexington road mocksville.jpg

131 Lexington has 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms and 3,046 square feet. It was built in 1898.

141 lexington road mocksville.jpg

141 Lexington is a bungalow with 2 bedrooms, 1 bathroom and 1,272 square feet. It was built in 1933. Both houses have vinyl siding. These are the only pictures of the two houses available.

Historic House of the Week: The Twitchell-Gallaway House, an 1824 Federal-Greek Revival Mansion in Madison, $259,900

107 W. academy street madison.jpg

Calling the Twitchell-Gallaway House a “mansion” may not completely do it justice. It has the pedigree of an antebellum mansion, but it’s smaller and less formal than a true, sprawling exemplar of the type. It’s more comfortable, affordable and comes with a lot less overhead.

Located at 107 W. Academy Street in Madison, the house has 3,465 square feet and a 0.4-acre lot, both figures quite at the low end of the mansion scale. At the current price of $259,900, that comes out to $75 per square foot, modest even by the standards of the Piedmont’s smaller towns. Surprisingly, it has been for sale for a year and a half.

107 w. academy street cat-window.jpg
There’s wavy old glass in the windows, a feature a smartphone’s camera doesn’t quite capture.

The house is a highlight of the National Register’s Academy Street Historic District. The district’s nomination classes it as a “pivotal” structure: “Buildings or properties that are individually outstanding, historically and/or architecturally, and stand as a visual or historic landmark in the community.”

From the outside, it’s an imposing home, an austere structure in the Federal style sitting on a rise above the road. “The oldest house in the district, the 1824 Twitchell-Gallaway House in the Federal-Greek Revival style, constitutes on the exterior the only representative in the district of the Federal style; at the entrance and throughout the interior is some of Madison’s finest detailing in the Greek Revival style,” the district’s nomination states. (Note: Other sources give 1832 as the date of the house.)

“This dwelling, commissioned by town founder Randall Duke Scales for his daughter Elizabeth upon her marriage to Joseph Twitchell, commands a prominent site at the crest of the Academy Street hill. The house is the only nineteenth-century brick structure in the district and one of only two such structures in all of Madison …”

107 w. academy street light-ceiling.jpgGiving the house further historic stature is woodwork is attributed to the legendary Thomas Day (although the 1980 National Register nomination for the district doesn’t mention him). “In contrast to the exterior, Greek Revival is the sole distinguishing style of the interior,” the nomination says. “Molding with deep channels and corner blocks inscribed with circles embellish all of the doors and windows. The molding of the surrounds is most plastic in the west parlor where they also are decorated with carved anthemion motifs; these motifs also appear on the mantelpiece and in panels beneath the windows in the parlor. Elsewhere the molding of the surrounds is shallower and the mantles simpler in design, except for the delicate east parlor mantlepiece with Ionic columns.”

The house has four bedrooms and two baths. The rooms aren’t remarkably large. The dining room easily holds a table for 10, and the bedrooms are roomy. But everything about the house is on a pretty normal scale, with one exception. The doorway from the dining room to the kitchen appears to have been designed for hobbits. It’s about six feet high at best. The kitchen and a breakfast nook are in a modest 1995 addition at the back of the house.

The most striking room in the house may be the basement. Originally the dining room and kitchen, it now serves as a family room. With exposed floor joists above and a brick floor, it’s a particularly informal, comfortable room. It opens out to a patio. The basement also has a full bathroom and a semi-enclosed bar area.

Madison is a small town (population 2,246 in the last census) in western Rockingham County. U.S. highways 220 and 311 run through it, making the town about 30 minutes by car from downtown Greensboro and about 40 to downtown Winston-Salem. It’s a reasonable commute if you’re looking for the quiet of a small town and home with real historic stature at a relatively affordable price.

107 w. academy street front door.jpg

107 w. acdemy street hallway.jpg
One of the two bathrooms is at the end of the front hallway.
107 w. academy street parlor.jpg
The front parlor has a seating area and work space for one of the owners.
107 w. academy street DR.jpg
Watch your head going into the kitchen. The dining room’s interior window looks into the breakfast nook.
107 w. academy street DR fireplace.jpg
The dining room fireplace

107 w. academy street kitchen.jpg

107 w. academy street kitchen 2.jpg
The microwave and dishwasher are neatly tucked in on the left.

107 w. academy street nook.jpg

107 w. academy street BR.jpg

107 w. academy street basement.jpg

107 w. academy street bar.jpg

107 w. academy street bathroom.jpg
The spacious basement bathroom

107 w. academy street back.jpg

107 w. academy street shed.jpg