529 Brookwood Drive, Elkin, Surry County
contract pending July 26, 2021
- 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 2,300 square feet, 1.7 acres
- Price/square foot: $152
- Built in 1966
- Listed July 21, 2021
- Last sale: $140,000, May 2016
- Listing: “Furniture is negotiable.”
- The listing says the house can’t be seen from the street, but Google Street View suggests that’s not absolutely true.
- The brickwork, inside and out, is remarkable.
- It’s too bad more isn’t known about this house, because it’s a great example of Mid-Century design. But even the authoritative N.C. Modernist website lists it as “architect unknown.”
- Lacking anything else to say about the house, it’s worth noting that Elkin (“the best little town in NC“) seems to be an increasingly interesting place. The historic Reeves Theatre and Cafe downtown hosts concerts regularly, twice a month featuring the renowned Martha Bassett. Elkin is in the Yadkin Valley wine region, so there are wineries nearby. Also a couple breweries, hiking trails and an interesting downtown. And more.