- Sold for $560,000 on August 19, 2021 (originally $649,900)
- 5 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, 3,798 square feet, 0.78 acre
- Price/square foot: $147
- Built in 1909
- Listed March 15, 2021
- Last sale: $187,000, August 2017
- Neighborhood: Lebanon Hill Historic District
- Listing: “The main home has 4 BR’s & 2 full baths; Formal LR, DR, Den, & Southern Kitchen. The upper level has a separate kitchen, to allow for multipurpose living, & lots of unfinished attic space which could easily convert to more living area or baths. The Carriage House has a fully functional apartment for separate living space, & a 2-3 car garage.”
- National Register nomination: “The Edgar Harvey Hennis House is significant both architecturally and for its historical associations. Located at 1056 North Main Street in Mount Airy, the house is a handsome, intact example of early twentieth century design reflecting influences of the late Victorian and Colonial Revival styles. The large, well-detailed, asymmetrical one-and-one-half story brick veneer house features multiple projecting shingled gables with Palladian and round-arch windows, projecting bays, windows with beveled glass transoms, a generous, U-shaped wrap-around porch and a wealth of original interior decorative woodwork, mantelpieces and hardware. Granite, the hallmark Mount Airy building material, is used for window sills and lintels, porch plinths, foundation, and retaining wall.
- “Constructed in 1909, the Hennis House is the earliest known residence built on Lebanon Hill. Lebanon Hill was a center of early Mount Airy suburban development from the 1910s through the mid-1930s. Located approximately three-quarters of a mile north of the central business district, Lebanon Hill was the site from 1831 to c. 1858 of the town’s first Methodist Church.
- “The house was constructed for Edgar Harvey Hennis (1884-1965), a prominent early Mount Airy businessman, horse trader and, later, long-time owner of the town’s Chrysler automobile dealership. Hennis’ wife, Susan (1883-1983) owned the house until her death. The house remained virtually unltered during their seventy-four year occupation. The present owner has preserved the house and sensitively renovated the kitchen, baths and attic space.
1700 Richardson Drive, Reidsville
Belmont, The Robert Payne Richardson Jr. House, 1912
Richardson Houses Historic District NRHP
Blog post — Sold: Belmont, The Robert Payne Richardson Jr. House, a 1912 Mansion Among Mansions in Reidsville
- Sold for $950,000 on May 10, 2021 (originally $1.495 million)
- 6 bedrooms, 5 1/2 bathrooms, 8,946 square feet, 8.67 acres
- Price/square foot: $106
- Built in 1912
- Listed June 13, 2018
- Last sale: Unclear in online records
- Note: Belmont is one of the three Richardson family homes comprising the principal structures of the Robert Payne Richardson Houses Historic District on the National Register of Historic Places. The district consists of 22 buildings and structures on about 30 acres near downtown Reidsville.
- Listing: “The home has been completely restored … currently being used as a private residence and venue for weddings and other events.”
- County property records say the house has 8,946 square feet. A current listing lists that figure and an additional 3,332 unfinished square feet for a total of 12,278.
- Sold for $460,000 on March 31, 2021 (listed at $475,000)
- 4 bedrooms, 3 1/2 bathrooms, 3,594 square feet, 0.65 acre
- Price/square foot: $128
- Built in 1893
- Listed January 19, 2021
- Last sale: $349,000, March 2011
- NRHP nomination: “Its irregular massing, variety of surface materials, and rich ornamentation create a sophisticated late Victorian house of the Queen Anne style. Located at the south comer of McNeill and Barrett streets only two blocks from the county courthouse, the J.C. Black House is set back from McNeill Street on an L-shaped, flat lot. The facade of the house is sheltered from the street by a row of trees composed of hollys, pines, oaks, and one large magnolia. Other trees and shrubs are scattered around the property, but in no formal pattern. A low stone wall dating from 1937 borders the yard on the front and northeast sides.”
- “While the interior of the house has seen modest alterations through the years, the exterior remains largely intact with only a few minor changes. As a whole, the J.C. Black House retains a high degree of integrity in terms of location, setting, design, materials, workmanship, feeling, and association.”
- “J. C. Black (1850-1902), who had broad political and commercial commitments in Moore County, was one of the most prominent men of his day in Carthage. A lawyer by profession, he served for years as Moore County attorney. Black was a strong promoter of economic growth in Carthage. Not only was he the leading spirit in the building of the Carthage Railroad in the mid 1880s, serving as its first president, but he was also one of the organizers and first stockholders of the Bank of Carthage.”
- “Having been built during the pinnacle of Black’s career, his house survives as the consummate physical expression of his productive life and, in particular, his significance in the areas of commerce and politics/government. During the decade between the ca. 1893 construction of the house and Black’s death in 1902, J. C. Black represented Moore and Randolph counties in the state senate, served as mayor of Carthage, and was president of the Bank of Carthage. No other property attesting to his local importance survives.”
- “After Black’s death, the house remained in family ownership and occupancy for nearly a century.”
1189 Jericho Church Road, Mocksville, Davie County
The McGuire-Setzer House
National Register of Historic Places
- Sold for $235,000 on January 11, 2021 (listed at $229,900)
- 3 bedrooms, 2 1/2 bathrooms, 1,865 square feet, 1.823 acres
- Price/square foot: $126
- Built in 1825
- Listed October 19, 2020
- Last sale: $15,000, February 1994
- National Register nomination: “… a relatively intact typical dwelling of the North Carolina Piedmont during the early decades of the nineteenth century. The house is composed of two one-room-and-attic pens, the first built about 1825 of log and the second, of frame construction, built against the west wall of the original house about 1835. … On the exterior, the house has weatherboard siding and flush gable-end eaves of the period. The interior contains a molded chair rail, Federal-style mantels, plank walls, ceilings, and floors, narrow molded surrounds on doors and windows, paneled and beaded doors, and boxed stair. A contemporary detached frame kitchen with large chimney and fireplace stands on the property, one of very few left in the county.”
- Listing: “The home features fascinating Federal-style interiors with four substantial mantels and a unique boxed staircase with vintage box lock. The main home features two bedrooms and 1.25 baths.”
- “The property includes two functioning outbuildings: a small guest cottage of 367 square feet with a full bath and fireplace (gas log insert needs to be replaced by buyer), plus a 255 square-foot contemporary structure that was used as a commercial kitchen at one time to support a bed-and-breakfast in the Main house. The converted guest house is one of the few remaining examples of an original detached kitchen building and lends itself to intimate living when desired or hosting guests.”
6069 Burlington Road, Sedalia, Guilford County
The Dr. Joseph McLean House, 1852
National Register of Historic Places
Blog post — A circa 1850 National Register House in Guilford County Has Become Very Affordable (October 4, 2017)
- One lot, including the house and 3.01 acres, was sold for $153,000 on December 11, 2020 (listed at $174,500, originally $495,000 for all four lots totaling 18.39 acres)
- 3 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, 2,040 square feet, 3.01 acres
- Price/square foot: $75
- Built in 1852 (per county property records)
- Listed February 24, 2017
- Last sale: The property has been in the McLean and Wharton families since the 1830s.
124 West End Boulevard, Winston-Salem
The Henry D. Poindexter Cottage
National Register of Historic Places
Blog post — The H.D. Poindexter Cottage: A National Register Property in Winston-Salem’s West End, $299,900
- Sold for $307,500 on December 1, 2020 (listed at $299,900)
- 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 1,420 square feet
- Price/square foot: $217
- Built in 1874
- Listed October 6, 2020
- Last sale: $172,000, June 2015
- Neighborhood: West End Historic District
- Note: The cottage was built behind the house at 506 W. Fifth Street, facing Spruce Street. Both were moved to West End Boulevard in 1978 to make way for the expansion of the Integon building (Winston-Salem’s Architectural Heritage).
- Henry Dalton Poindexter was born in Yadkin County in 1849. In 1871, he moved to Winston-Salem, where he “became one of Winston’s earliest and most successful merchants,” the Poindexter houses’ National Register nomination says.
- NRHP nomination: “In 1874, the year of his marriage to Augusta Miller, H. D. Poindexter moved into a cottage on Spruce Street. It is unclear whether Poindexter himself built the cottage, but he obtained the property from E. A. de Schweinitz, a Moravian brother. The original cottage was small, only three rooms, and local tradition maintains that Mr. Gaston Miller, a local builder, helped expand the cottage to five rooms. Miller lived in a two room dwelling on the corner of Spruce and Fifth Streets (the future site of H. D. Poindexter’s large home) until he built a larger home for himself on Fourth Street. When Miller moved to Fourth Street, legend maintains that he offered the two rooms to Poindexter if he would move them to his own lot. According to Ruth Poindexter, her father ‘went to the top and sawed the house in two.’ He then rolled the sections on logs to their new site adjoining his cottage. Eight of the nine Poindexter children were born in the five room cottage.” The family lived there until around 1894.
- Sold for $2 million on August 3, 2020 (listed at $1.925 million)
- 4 bedrooms, 4.5 bathrooms, 5,678 square feet, 15.9 acres
- Price/square foot: $352
- Built in 1834
- Listed November 15, 2019
- Last sale: $1.3 million, March 2009
- Note: “Few houses in the county survive from the early nineteenth-century Federal period. … [The Carter House is] one of the most impressive, as well as one of the best preserved, dwellings of the period. It is the only pre-1850 brick house remaining in Surry County (and one of only three surviving from prior to 1900), which, in itself, renders it significant.” (NRHP registration form) The property is protected by a preservation covenant held by Preservation North Carolina.
- Located northwest of Mount Airy, west of Interstate 77
- A creek forms the rear property line.
- The property includes a “Mountain-Style Lodge” of about 550 square feet, built in 2006 along the creek.
- The original brick house is now located behind a large 20th-century addition:
5869 U.S. 158 West, Locust Hill, Caswell County
The Moore House, 1790 (aka Stamp’s Quarters, aka the Moore-Gwyn-Ewalt House)
Moore House NRHP
Blog post — Historic House of the Week: A 1790 Federal-Style Mansion in Caswell County on the National Register
- Sold for $1.4 million on July 6, 2020 (listed at $1.75 million)
- 4 bedrooms, 3 full and 2 half bathrooms, 6,226 square feet, 200 acres
- Price/square foot: $225
- Built in 1790
- Listed June 1, 2018
- Last sale: Unavailable in online records
- Note: The property apparently has a Yanceyville address but is located in the Locust Hill area, southwest of Yanceyville.
- Listing: “The Moore-Gwyn-Ewalt House, a classic Federal style attributed locally to a design by Thomas Jefferson [Note: Jefferson’s name does not appear in the National Register documentation] was originally built in 1790 for Samuel Moore, a successful planter. The current owners added 2 flanking wings in 1995 housing 2 additional master bedrooms, a kitchen, family room & 2 offices. The 200+/- acres of fields & managed forests give the Moore-Gwyn-Ewalt House the appropriate landscape for its period & history, including the formal boxwood gardens & a fenced garden. Heated & cooled Guest House. Pond”
- Sold for $131,000 on June 26, 2020 (listed at $118,500)
- 2 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, 937 square feet, 2.59 acres
- Price/square foot: $140
- Built in 1820
- Listed May 28, 2020
- Last sale: $48,000, December 2015
- Note: The house is a few miles northeast of Yanceyville toward Milton. The second floor (486 square feet) has heat and cooling but can’t be counted in the square footage because the ceiling height is only 6 feet, 10 inches.
- A rear ell was added in the house’s 1990 restoration, containing a kitchen and bathroom.
- National Register nomination: “The John Johnston House is an academically-restored early nineteenth-century rural house type that has almost disappeared from the North Carolina landscape. The house is set in a pristine section of this rolling Northern Piedmont rural county and evokes the feeling of the antebellum tobacco culture which gave rise to a plantation economy that supported several notable plantation seats. Although a number of the county’s great plantation houses are maintained in good condition, many of the modest, well-crafted Federal-inspired dwellings that once housed early nineteenth-century small planters have followed a typical progression of conversion to tenant houses, then to produce or equipment shelters, and finally, to abandonment and neglect.”
- “In 1990, the John Johnston House, fallen into disrepair and bordering on decay, was rehabilitated with a meticulous academic restoration to its antebellum appearance, and a rear ell was added to render the house suitable for modern residential use. The owner recognized that a rare early house-type was concealed under early twentieth-century shed porch additions and a layer of stucco. As a result of the restoration, all early twentieth-century alterations were reversed, including the removal of the stucco and porches from all facades. The stucco was probably applied during the 1910s or 1920s, reflecting a common treatment of many other Caswell County buildings. The original beaded lapboard siding and window framing, which were deteriorated beyond repair, were replicated and milled to closely resemble the historic.”
- Sold for $1.05 million on March 13, 2020 (originally listed at $2.475 million)
- 5 bedrooms, 6 bathrooms, 4,553 square feet, 17.54 acres
- Price/square foot: $231
- Built in 1924
- Listed April 20, 2018
- Last sale: $250,000, April 1983
- Note: Friendly Hills was owned by Margaret Culkin Banning, novelist, essayist and an early advocate of women’s rights, from 1936 until her death in 1982. She spent the winters there (instead of her home in Duluth, Minnesota). “In addition to its acreage, Friendly Hills is composed of a 1924 Tudor Revival house, a 1920s-1930s swimming pool, a small log cabin built in the 1920s or 1930s, a stone-lined fish pool that probably dates from the 1920s, a 1988 workshop-garage, a 1988 well house, and a mid-1980s garage apartment.” (National Register nomination)
- It’s located 1 1/2 miles from downtown Tryon.
- Friendly Hills is under protective covenants held by Preservation North Carolina.
- Sold for $650,000 on October 31, 2019 (originally listed at $750,000)
- 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, 3,757 square feet, 32 acres
- Price/square foot: $173
- Built in 1921
- Listed April 6, 2018
- Last sale: $365,000, May 1999
- Note: The property includes a pond and a detached building that could be used as a studio, guest house or workshop.
- Sold for $330,000 on August 16, 2019 (listed at $699,000)
- 6 bedrooms, 5 bathrooms, 5,129 square feet
- Price/square foot: $64
- Built in 1890
- Listed April 30, 2018
- Last sale: $630,000, April 2008
- Note: The house is being marketed as a B&B, office, business or restaurant.
- The property is next to the Cherry Street exit ramp on Business 40.
- Sold for $82,500 on July 29, 2019 (listed at $89,900)
- 4 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, 1,606 square feet, 6 acres
- Price/square foot: $51
- Built in 1885
- Last sale: The property has been in the Shutt family since the houses were built.
- Note: The original one-and-a-half story timber frame house was built in 1885; the larger three-bay-wide weatherboard story-and-a-half house was added in 1905. They’re connected by a breezeway, providing air circulation throughout the house.
- The property is eligible for state and federal tax credits.
- Sold for $1.325 million on April 5, 2019
- 12 bedrooms, 6 1/2 bathrooms, 8,738 square feet, 2.72 acres
- Price/square foot: $152
- Built in 1925
- Listing date not available
- Last sale: $704,000, February 2013
- Neighborhood: Buena Vista
- Note: Designated as a Forsyth County Landmark
- The property does not appear to have been listed before the sale.
- Sold for $31,100 on December 19, 2018 (listed at $30,000)
- 7 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, 3,359 square feet, 1.99 acres
- Price/square foot: $9
- Built in 1867
- Listed September 13, 2018
- Last sale: $30,000, May 2014
- Note: The property, once 200 acres, now sits in a commercial/industrial area and is not suitable for residential use.
- From the National Register nomination (2008): “The Model Farm house manifests a high degree of integrity due to its retention of its original, character-defining exterior architectural elements such as weatherboards, window and door surrounds, and the sidelights surrounding the front door. The interior also possesses good integrity, with original fireplace mantels, ten-foot ceilings, and door and window surrounds. The original stair design includes simple rectangular balusters and a turned newel post and cap. The original floor plan is intact other than the installation of a bathroom in place of the pantry between the dining and kitchen in the 1940s. … The Model Farm was established by the Baltimore Association of Friends to Advise and Assist Friends in Southern States in 1867 to educate Southern Quakers and other area farmers of the most modern methods to reclaim the soil, practice animal husbandry, and produce abundant crops.”
- Sold for $524,095 on August 2, 2017 (originally listed at $600,000)
- 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, 3,077 square feet
- Price/square foot: $170
- Built in 1965
- Listed April 8, 2017
- Last sale: $495,000, October 2002
- Neighborhood: Irving Park
- Note: Mid-Century Modern classic, designed by the Lowenstein-Atkinson firm. The house has been meticulously restored by the current owners. Lot is 0.7 acre.